Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much Water do you actually get in per day?

How do you get your Water? (Tea, Gatorade, popsicles, etc)

Do Gatorade, tea, coffee, Isopure, broth, crystal light drinks count toward my total water intake?

- Can I freeze Protein added to flavored water to make Protein heavy popsicles?

Is anyone using Smart Water* brand? It is bottled water with added electrolytes. I am wondering if this is a good option post surgery to ward off dehydration.

I am worried about not being able to get adequate water post op and I am a big water drinker / gulper LOL.

Thanks!!

A common amount cited around here is 64 ozs which is half a gallon. I know I MIGHT get that amount on a good day, I sip, sip, sip all day.

Most liquids count, caffeinated coffee and tea might be a wash since they have caffein which is a diuretic. "Smart" Water ,Gatorade and vitmin waters certainly count but are probably just a waste of money, plain ol' tap Water will do just fine. If the bland taste is too much for you then mix in a little sugar free non calorie flavoring in it, Crystal Light, sugar free Koolaid or equivalent, what ever floats your boat and keeps you drinking.

I know there is a lot of differnt opinions. What my dietician tells me is that when you are on the liquid phase all your liquids count as water.. Soup broth, sugarfree popsicles,water, vitaminwater,,etc... But be aware if you drink gatorade and like certain vitamen Water and sobe life water they do contain carbs. I know there is propel zero, some gatorade type drinks are zero carb.. You just have to look but be really careful with the carbs and the sodium. I was counting Protein Drinks that I used water in as water intake.. they all count.. Also,,if you drink things with caffene in them they do not count..tea,coffee,etc..

I try to get in 96 ounces of Water per day. Yes, that is A LOT of Water but I get most of it in. I hit my first stall a few weeks ago and read an article about water and metabolism. There is proven data out there that indicates if you drink 80 ounces of water a day, you can increase your metabolism by 30%. I drink out of a 24oz. bottle and I fill it four times a day (2-3 at work and 1 last one right before I go to bed).

I drink plain ice cold water but I will add a packet of Crystal Light to at least one bottle a day if I am struggling with the "no-taste" thing. So far so good, because as soon as I started drinking more water my stall ended. I have lost 7 pounds since last Thursday (when I started drinking more).

I stopped drinking tea and coffee during my pre-op stage and since they are dehydrating beverages I haven't touched them since. Nothing can beat water but I did read that milk counts as water too. You just have to watch the carbs and calories if you choose to drink a lot of it. I drink non-fat milk but it still packs in 13 carbs per 8 ounces.

Protein drinks with Water count, I would count anything made with water unless it has caffeine, and so watch the sodium and carbs. Of course steer clear of carbonation too. That being said, theres nothing like plane old clear tap water. I try to get in some of that in the mix. My nut recommends 48-64 oz a day... I get at least that amount- more when exercising.

How much Water do you actually get in per day?

I personally get in anywhere from 80 oz to 100 oz per day. I fill up 32 oz bottles at least 3x per day. The more Water you drink the more weight you will lose. When I was only getting in about 64 oz I lost ok, but since I've gone up I've been losing quite well.

How do you get your water? (Tea, Gatorade, popsicles, etc)

I just drink plain ole water. I was never a big fan of Crystal Light type drinks, they taste way too sweet/flavored for me. The after taste is awful in my mouth too. That said, for some reason I had a distaste for water straight out of surgery. I drank a lot of G2 or Powerade Zero. Vitamin Water, etc has a lot of sugar added and not worth it to me, when I can get my fluids in better ways. I also like Propel, though its more of a treat for me as it also has carbs added. I water it down for a very light fruity flavor.

Do Gatorade, tea, coffee, Isopure, broth, crystal light drinks count toward my total water intake?

- Can I freeze Protein added to flavored water to make Protein heavy popsicles?

All Fluid oz. count when you are adding up your fluids, yes even SF popsicles, Jello, broth, anything water based, etc. I do not count coffees and teas though as they have caffeine and are counter active to Fluid intake.

Is anyone using Smart Water* brand? It is bottled water with added electrolytes. I am wondering if this is a good option post surgery to ward off dehydration.

I do drink Smart Water. I like the taste, its very soft and has a great flavor to me. Of course it's just water with minerals added, but I can taste the difference between that and filtered water.

I am worried about not being able to get adequate water post op and I am a big water drinker / gulper LOL.

You will not be able to gulp water anymore really. I used to LOVE to chug down some water pre sleeve. Now I can take a few gulps before I get pain, so I always take it easy when drinking. Straight out of surgery take tiny sips and be careful not to get too much in at one time. The feeling is oh so NOT good... lol

Thanks!!

Anytime. ;)

I'm two weeks out and I am closer to 80-100oz than 64. I have no issues with fluids at all.

I'm two weeks out and I am closer to 80-100oz than 64. I have no issues with fluids at all.

WOW! Good to hear!

Thanks for ther info everyone :) Glad to hear most everything with Water counts. I will be doing my best to get as much Water in as possible.

:)

I still wish someone would address the "protein popsicle" idea :D have you tried it yet?? Sounds like a great idea if it would freeze right and if the Protein wouldn't "break down" from being frozen.

i swear u guys ask all the questions i never thought of but that are so relevant....i love Water and i know my friends said no gulping...that scared me...i cant imaging sipping and getting in 80 oz laugh.gif

I still wish someone would address the "Protein popsicle" idea :D have you tried it yet?? Sounds like a great idea if it would freeze right and if the Protein wouldn't "break down" from being frozen.

Im sure this would work! You can also make protein ice cream. eggface.com has recipes

i swear u guys ask all the questions i never thought of but that are so relevant....i love Water and i know my friends said no gulping...that scared me...i cant imaging sipping and getting in 80 oz laugh.gif

its gets better, I can gulp about three smallish gulps, or drink normally now (until my sleeve is full....pretty quickly!) then wait a while and repeat.

Most days, I get 94 ounces in Water, (with 5 squirts of lemon juice per 32 ounce bottle), and maybe 5 SF popsicles. On days I work, I take 2 bottles of Twist Water with me to drink while at school (I teach only every other day), and then I make up the difference with an extra bottle of lemon water. Crystal Light is waaaay too sweet for me (always was), so, I don't even bother with it anymore.

Now, granted, I HATED any sort of water pre-sleeve. I was a diet coke-head, drinking 8 cans a day. So, my water intake is rather a minor miracle!