Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone I’m 31 and over weight. I have been battling being over weight most of my life. Until recently it has been an issuse due to all the side affects of being over weight.. DIABETIC..HIGH CHOLESTEROL..HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE..SLEEPING.etc.... Like most of you I have tried it all.... I have gotten to the point that every time I tried another diet or exercise plan I lost weight but it all came back and some.:( NO BUENO!!:(

Have been thinking about weight loss surgery for the last past 2 years. I finally step into a doctor office but only to be turned away... Time went by and I meet a doctor that would finally refer to someone that would help me... So my journey began January 2011 with Dr Lyass (my surgeon). There where some few bumps in my road to get approve. But I was approved.. My surgery date is 4/8/11....

I’m excited, nervous, but at the same time just in disbelief like is it really going happen...my other thing I haven’t told my family...8( just been to scared. They are all thin and don‘t know what it is to walk a mile in my shoes. That's my biggest secret...

Hello LUV,

Guess what? Your story sounds exactly like mine, and so many others here. You are not alone in your journey nor your struggles. Stick here and read all you can, get acclimated to what will be your new lifestyle. Wishing you all the best, and in good hopes of a speedy recovery. Keep us updated!!

This Journey is a ROLLERCOASTER RIDE but it is the BEST THING I've EVER DONE FOR MYSELF!!!! That is the KEY you are doing it for YOU and nobody else! Some of my family was on board with me and some weren't. Just like with ANYTHING you can't PLEASE EVERYONE!! You do what is BEST for YOU!!!

I'm on the LOSERS TRAIN and ENJOYING THE RIDE!!!!! Come on aboard!!! LOL

It's a tough road filled with many ups and downs. There's a lot of emotional things, and after the sleeve some getting used to the new things your body needs, and doesn't like, but in the end it's all worth it. This is your life, your health. If you don't have any other support, you've got us. Good luck. Keep us updated with your progress. We've all been through it, and some of us are still going through it. We've got your back!

Good luck!

My family surprised me when I told them.....I was hesitant to at first, but there really isn't any way around it. If you spend any amount of time with them, they are going to have to know, so why not give them the opportunity to support you? As I said, I was surprised by the response. My mom asked what I needed, my brother and 1 sister replied that it wouldn't be their first choice but I should do whatever I have to do, and my other sister (the only one that has also struggled with weight) I think has more curiosity than anything. She was able to lose her excess weight with extreme, dr. assisted dieting (i.e. making your own ketchup and other things) while getting Vitamin shots and starting over on the exercise thing. And good for her......she maintained it for almost a year before re-gaining 20lbs, but I could be happy if I was able to live with 20 extra lbs.

Anyway, if your family is anything like mine, you won't be able to attend any type of family function that doesn't include food......and how will you explain the weight-loss? I know my family would have decided I was ill and dragged me kicking and screaming to whatever dr. they decided could treat me....lol

This is going to be great, however it works out. Everything happens for a reason, we just don't always see what it is right away.

Hi love

Congrats... And welcome !!!! Good luck on your journey and from time to time I will drop you a line for support if you would like... I'm 31 and battle my weight for about 10 years ... I'm glad I found this forum everyone's very supportive !!! I think you will find that out for yourself... Good luck and god bless!!!

Thanks guys I know this will be a rollercoaster ride, emotional and physical. Luckily I found help and supprt from VST....I appriciate your comments.

LOL: I love your "I'm on the LOSERS TRAIN and ENJOYING THE RIDE!!!! Come on aboard!!!"

This Journey is a ROLLERCOASTER RIDE but it is the BEST THING I've EVER DONE FOR MYSELF!!!! That is the KEY you are doing it for YOU and nobody else! Some of my family was on board with me and some weren't. Just like with ANYTHING you can't PLEASE EVERYONE!! You do what is BEST for YOU!!!

I'm on the LOSERS TRAIN and ENJOYING THE RIDE!!!!! Come on aboard!!! LOL

Hi LUV-

I am also 31 and have spent all of my life in a battle with weight while my entire family is thin. My sister who is 13 months younger than me is literally a model- 5'11" and 130. I really didn't want to tell them either. I also have a distant relative who had bypass and dealt with a lot of depression because she was constantly sick from dumping syndrome. I knew they would think I was going to deal with the same issues.

I told them all about 2 months prior to surgery. Surprisingly, they had all quietly watched me struggle for years with my weight and they realized that I needed this to be the person I want to be. My mom and step-mom were the hardest sells. But, after I really explained the gastric sleeve process and how different it is from bypass they started to relax. The only draw back was that they both insisted on being there the morning of the operation and I could feel their anxiety. But, I also realized their deep love for me to stand by me even though they had fear. In the month since surgery they have all been extremely supportive. Mom even told me last week that she was thrilled to see me so happy and felt bad for every doubting my decision.

Do what works best for you, but I thought I'd share a positive experience. Good luck!

Welcome!!! We understand where you are coming from. We will all be here for you! My family was very scared when I told them about the sleeve. They didn't want me having my stomach cut out. I knew it was the right choice for me though, especially after numerous painful lapband complications. I absolutely love my sleeve. I was so unhappy being so big and it feels great to have the weight come off. I am finally starting to feel like myself. You will be so happy you did this! It can be hard work, but the payoff is so worth it!

I told mine and ended up regretting it. It's your body and the decision what to do with it and what to tell others is YOURS and no one else's. You have every right to maintain this subject as private till you see fit. Good luck.

Hi Guys,

Just a little update. Had my surgery on friday 4/8/11. The surgery went well but the after math was ucky.. Nausea, smells and a little vomiting. However it all stop the next day with the exception of having a sensitive nose. Now is just getting in my liquids...sip...sip...walk...walk...

You and me both! Surgery was very easy. Next day was high bp, heachache, painfully swollen iv, and nausea. Went away after 12 hours and I was a new person. I'm currently sipping on pureed cream of potato Soup with unflavored Protein Powder. Yummy!We are onto the good days ahead!

Hi Guys,

Just a little update. Had my surgery on friday 4/8/11. The surgery went well but the after math was ucky.. Nausea, smells and a little vomiting. However it all stop the next day with the exception of having a sensitive nose. Now is just getting in my liquids...sip...sip...walk...walk...