Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ATTN drinkers, here's my story

Let me preface this story with the fact that I know that my current relationship with alcohol is and will be different than it was before surgery. What i'm basically saying is, "INB4 outrage & judgement" :)

Before surgery, I was an avid and enthusiastic party girl. I have an extremely stressful full-time, 24x7 boys'-club, mind-numbing soul-crushing (albeit high-paying) career, filled to the brim with heavy drinkers. More than once a week, I find myself out after work either enjoying cocktails with co-workers or going to vendor/customer dinners, where it's not uncommon to have drinks at the restaurant bar before, wine throughout dinner, scotch after, followed by drinks at the bar after to close the night.

I don't consider myself an alcoholic - for the 2 weeks in preparation to surgery and for the 2 weeks after, I haven't had a drink, and it's not like I got the DT's or anything. I have however been very concerned and curious about what was going to happen when I did have my first cocktail. I was worried I would be drunk after one sip, or my new stomach would reject it and I would vomit uncontrollably at the table, or worse - I would never be able to have a drink again... All kinds of horrific scenarios went through my head.

So I called my best and most trusted friend last night and told him that I was feeling back to normal (for the most part), and interested in testing the waters. We went to my local low-key boozer, sat at a booth. I responsibly ordered my low-calorie standby: Grey Goose & Soda (single tall), and sipped apprehensively while watching jealously as he took long pulls from his Heineken. (I was a beer drinker in my past life - I'm pretty sure it's responsible for 50 of the 100 lbs I'm trying to lose.)

My first cocktail went down very slowly - it took about 45 minutes to get it all the way down. I definitely felt it about halfway in, but i felt well within normal operating limits. I could feel my body processing it a little differently, but no big deal. Even though the drink includes soda Water, there is very little carbonation in the drink, so I felt good about my order, and didn't get the burps or anything.

Over the course of 3 hours, I had 3 cocktails and a glass of Water. I got home feeling like a solid 4.5 out of 10. I finished my Protein drink and took a big bottle of evian to bed, and sipped on it while watching tv.

I woke up this morning feeling fine, a little bit of a headache and pretty thirsty, but other than that, I felt great. Although, I have to say, I am feeling my first pangs of hunger since before the surgery, so that's new... I'm not sure if that's related to drinking last night or if my stomach is just healing up properly. I'm going to go and make myself some grits!

I understand "testing the waters", but with all the warnings and rules about drinking, I would be very careful so early out. I too challenge compliance in most areas of my life, but want to lose my 100 in a timely manner without regret or accidental alcoholism or any other transfer addictions either... Even Grey goose has calories, and three of them have about 189, 2/3rds of you daily at two weeks....

In my humble opinion, from a former all night boozer and party dude, long long ago and 60 days out surgery with 50lbs down and 25 to go. Please lay off the alcohol for a while.

Be careful and not saying this is you, there is a high amount of addiction swapping in weight loss surgery patients up to 30% one study shows.

Take care and be well.

Lash

I'm glad you had a good 1st experience. Keep in mind, and for anyone else out there contemplating drinking alcohol during the losing stage, your liver is working double time during the rapid weight loss phase. Tossing alcohol in the mix early out can task your liver even more. Dehydration and wasted calories is the biggest concern, but there are other factors out there as to why the limitation and restriction on having alcohol early out.

Best wishes in your continued recovery.

WOW!!!

I am 7 months out I had my first Marqarita at Chili's yesterday and I had about 5 sips and could not drink anymore. I felt the effects immediately. However, I was never a BIG drinker anyway, so that might account for it hitting me as hard as it did. Good luck!!!!

Deb

I was quite a drinker before surgery and started to drink 3 months out, but only a glass of wine or a cocktail once in a while. Now, nearly 8 months out, I still have the ocassional drink when I go out (last weekend it was my 42nd birthday and I had quite a bit of wine and cocktails over those days) and I am stalled, I know alcohol is one of the main culprits, so please be careful, it WILL affect your weight loss.

Well.... Im going to come clean and say that I have had about a 8 nights since surgery where I have consumed alcohol... one of those being last night.... I dont feel the need to drink alcohol but I find myself in my twenty-something social group going out to the clubs and buying into that lifestyle sometimes..... I am still in my losing stage and I know that this is not a great choice on my part.... AND i must admit ... when i wake up in the morning i feel a little pain underneath my scar in between my boobs... This is definitely a sign telling me that my liver is not appreciating the abuse and I know I have to chill out because I still want to lose another 23lbs to get to goal... BUT most importantly... i want to be healthy .. after all that's why we chose this surgery in the first place....

I just wanted to be honest... but also admit that I havent made all the perfect decisions when it comes to post op lifestyle.

While I understand all the reasons not to drink during the losing phase, I'm kind of glad to hear that it's possible. I'm not a big drinker anyway, but I sometimes meet friends for drinks at a bar and at 3 months out, I've been turning down invitations when it involves bars or clubs, etc. I probably will for the forseeable future, but I'm glad to know that I won't necessarily be sick from drinking or unable to have a drink or two.

Heh, that's pretty much exactly why I posted my experience - not to ENCOURAGE people to go out and get wasted... just to put it out there, that I didn't die, and my worst fears (vomiting, getting hammered off of one sip, etc) did not come true.

I am very aware that I'm still healing, and aware of the risks - however, this is an unavoidable part of my social and professional life, and it's not going away any time soon. So I am just happy to know that it is still possible (in small doses).

3 cocktails in one night is going extremely light for what i'm used to. It was the cheapest bar tab I've ever seen in my life!

I am feeling it today - I can tell I'm a little dehydrated, so I've up'ed my Water consumption to help remedy it.

Going to head to the gym after I feel fully hydrated and walk off some more lbs. :)

<3

As a fellow partyer, this is good info! Im glad your first experience was a good one and it helps to calm whatever anxiety I may have had about trying for myself... But seriously, we can't hope to bring back every single thing we used to do before right after we get sleeved... U got this surgery because u wanted to make a change.. Sometimes that means just saying no for a little while... Don't jeopardize ur progress to hold on to a lifestyle that wasnt working for you before... Next time, order urself something non-alcoholic, sit there, watch your friends get sloshed and enjoy the crazy stuff they do... Hell, if it were me, I'd let them get drunk and play mind games on them just to get my jollies! LMAO!

I have a few drinks a week, nothing wrong with that. But I very rarely have more than 1 - I'm pretty sure I've had 2 in a row before, but to be honest, I can't even remember the last time. I haven't had more than 2 drinks in one day since the surgery, but I've never been much of a drinker. Generally, the normal alcohol intake for women is limited to 2 drinks a day (4 for men). It sounds like you were venturing into alcoholism territory before surgery, so I think this would be prime time to seize the day and consider some counselling. As mentioned earlier, substitute addictions are quite common after WLS and without food to turn to, your tendency to consume too much alcohol may be more likely to spin out of control. I understand your work/social circle forces you to go to bars, but no one's forcing you to have alcohol - you can have a pop, non-alcoholic cocktail, or tea/coffee and still enjoy the social aspect of hanging out.

Love the way you tell it like it is! I plan to totally quit wine for a long, long time.......

I have a few drinks a week, nothing wrong with that. But I very rarely have more than 1 - I'm pretty sure I've had 2 in a row before, but to be honest, I can't even remember the last time. I haven't had more than 2 drinks in one day since the surgery, but I've never been much of a drinker. Generally, the normal alcohol intake for women is limited to 2 drinks a day (4 for men). It sounds like you were venturing into alcoholism territory before surgery, so I think this would be prime time to seize the day and consider some counselling. As mentioned earlier, substitute addictions are quite common after WLS and without food to turn to, your tendency to consume too much alcohol may be more likely to spin out of control. I understand your work/social circle forces you to go to bars, but no one's forcing you to have alcohol - you can have a pop, non-alcoholic cocktail, or tea/coffee and still enjoy the social aspect of hanging out.

What she said!.

From everything I have learned you are way too close to surgery to have three drinks. And for me it makes no sense to consume empty high carb calories when every single thing you put in your sleeve needs to count. I think you called it when you pinpointed alcohol as the source of some of your weight- so in a way it's too bad you experimented- finding out it slides right down. You know the sleeve is no guarantee you wont have a weight problem. Alcohol will pose just as much of a problem with your weight as it ever did, sleeve or no sleeve. And hey- I do NOT want to seem like a moralizer here as I enjoy socializing and partying, I just know I have to choose for my health now and I would love you to have long term success. To me choosing to have three drinks this close to your surgery is a red flag.

Just the fact you felt hunger for the first time, probably from all that pure carb- well what a bummer! You sure you want to encourage that problem?

Am I reading it right that you're just two weeks out from surgery tomorrow?

I am very aware that I'm still healing, and aware of the risks - however, this is an unavoidable part of my social and professional life, and it's not going away any time soon. So I am just happy to know that it is still possible (in small doses).

3 cocktails in one night is going extremely light for what i'm used to. It was the cheapest bar tab I've ever seen in my life!

<3

Sounds like you don't really want to hear it....you take care, we want everyone here to succeed!