Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Look Sickly and Pale

I am doing my best to get in the Protein and Vitamins I'm suppose to. I have been eating chicken and fish (not allowed beef yet). I can not eat alot at a sitting and will sometimes even sip a little bit during a meal to try and get more Protein in. I'm never hungry, so emptying my stomach is no big deal.

I had some blood work done about a month out and it was okay and will have more done at 2 months.

I'm almost shocked when I look in the mirror and see the ghostly, pale face looking back at me.

I'm almost shocked when I look in the mirror and see the ghostly, pale face looking back at me.

Are you naturally light skinned? Are you taking Vitamins? Maybe you need a higher dose. Low levels of Biotin, folic acid, Vitamin B6 and Iron (anemia) can cause pale skin. How do you feel? If you feel fine but the color is messing with your head, maybe you could get some sun outside :)

Good luck!

Why is the number one rule no drinking? Isn't that so your stomach won't empty out and make you want to eat again sooner? food sits in my stomach for a long time and I am trying to get more food in as I know I'm not getting enough Protein. As I said in my orginal post, I'm taking my Vitamins and getting in as much Protein as I can. I even nibble on a Protein Bar when I can't (due to working) stop to eat anything else.

I don't need criticism, I need ideas. I gave up tracking my protein intake, it was not helping. I'm not eating any empty calories. My focus is protein, protein, protein. My problem is I have NO appetite so it's hard to force food down. Yes, I have a light complection, but when my face looks almost gray, that's not normal. I don't think sun will help that.

I've been pretty tired. Even getting off of two of my bp meds hasn't helped alot. Is there anything that can stimulate my appetite? I think it would help my metabolism if I could eat more. I don't even crave sweets. I looked at boxes of filled sticks at work and it almost made me nausated to watch my coworker eating one.

For some losing your appetite is a good thing, but when you continually have to force yourself to eat and drink it can be a bad thing. Eating is now a chore, not the enjoyable thing I used to look forward to. Am I the only one with this problem?

It's not the standardized #1 rule with VSG. My surgeon and many others do not make their sleeve patients wait before eating to stop drinking. I drink up until I take that first bite, and then wait just 30 minutes after eating to start drinking again. Once I was able to do so, I did sip with my meals especially spicy meals. There's a big difference with sipping and drinking with meals. And, yes, the reason to not eat and drink simultaneously is to keep you satisfied longer. 85-90% of absorption of nutrients/vitamins occur in the intestine so sipping with your meal will make food mushy, and help it empty into the intestines faster, but you are not going to compromise absorption by taking a couple of little sips with your meals.

You are not alone in losing your appetite. I dealt with it for months, and it does get better. Eating was a chore for me as well. The one thing I relied on was to over season, use tons of spices, and get creative with my meals. I promise it gets better, and there are things you can do to increase your intake. Try some egg salad with greek yogurt, chicken/tuna salad, deli meat rolled up with cream cheese, beef or turkey Jerky, if you've been released for regular foods. I realize tracking your food intake is a pain in the ass, but if you are not tracking, and you're just eating here and there, when you can, your counts may be off, and you may not be getting what your body needs. Nothing really helped my appetite other than making food taste better.

What Vitamins are you on? Does your multi contain Iron? Are you taking a sublingual B12? Vitamins are NOT created equally, and especially for those of us that can not eat enough of the micro and macro nutrients. The sun will actually help with Vitamin D absorption so you may not need "the sun" for color, it will actually help you feel better. I stand on my front porch every morning, pull up my shirt sleeves, and sit directly in the sun with my eyes closed and let it beat down on my face. We (most of us) wear foundation/concealer/face powder all with SPF, have tinted windows, wear sunglasses which all prevents our body from absorbing Vit D from the sun. It's the best form, and I can tell you that I've felt exponentially better since starting this morning ritual with the sun.

Bless you Tif! I was beginning to think I was the only one out there with this problem! I hear how people are hungry or have head hunger and want to snack all the time. NOT ME! I actually have eaten some potato chips (5 or so) just to help me get some liquids in! The other day I drank some coffee with a Protein bar while on the run to help get the bar down and get some liquids in.

I'm not the poster child for sleeve sugery and I don't claim to be. I'm finding out that I have to throw out some of the "rules" just to get in enough nutrition and liquids to survive. I'm struggling and have felt depressed lately. Every time you tell me that a certain problem will get better, it does, thank you for that! It's just when you're going through it, it seems that it will never end.

I will try some of your food suggestions. I have to shake up my food varieties. A certain food that tasted good last week, sounds sickening this week. Liquids have been a real challenge these past few weeks too!

I am losing weight. People at work are finally noticing. It took almost 40 pounds for them to notice it though. I lost 21 before surgery (starting in Sept) due to not eating foods containing gluten and losing my appetite pre-surgery. I almost decided not to have surgery due to this, but was afraid I would lose 25 pounds and quit. That's been my problem in the past.

I am taking Centrum Senior chewable Vitamins and the Celebrate Calcium citrate that you suggested. Both were okayed by my nutritionist. I also am taking a Vitamin B12 every day. I don't take Iron and become completely constipated when I've tried. My Iron has never been low in my whole life.

I hope if anyone else is in my same situation they can know they're not the only one out there!

Bless you Tif! I was beginning to think I was the only one out there with this problem! I hear how people are hungry or have head hunger and want to snack all the time. NOT ME! I actually have eaten some potato chips (5 or so) just to help me get some liquids in! The other day I drank some coffee with a Protein bar while on the run to help get the bar down and get some liquids in.

I'm not the poster child for sleeve sugery and I don't claim to be. I'm finding out that I have to throw out some of the "rules" just to get in enough nutrition and liquids to survive. I'm struggling and have felt depressed lately. Every time you tell me that a certain problem will get better, it does, thank you for that! It's just when you're going through it, it seems that it will never end.

I will try some of your food suggestions. I have to shake up my food varieties. A certain food that tasted good last week, sounds sickening this week. Liquids have been a real challenge these past few weeks too!

I am losing weight. People at work are finally noticing. It took almost 40 pounds for them to notice it though. I lost 21 before surgery (starting in Sept) due to not eating foods containing gluten and losing my appetite pre-surgery. I almost decided not to have surgery due to this, but was afraid I would lose 25 pounds and quit. That's been my problem in the past.

I am taking Centrum Senior chewable Vitamins and the Celebrate calcium citrate that you suggested. Both were okayed by my nutritionist. I also am taking a Vitamin B12 every day. I don't take Iron and become completely constipated when I've tried. My Iron has never been low in my whole life.

I hope if anyone else is in my same situation they can know they're not the only one out there!

Just hang in there girly ! ! ! I know iron can cause Constipation, and make sure they check your hemoglobin when you have your labs done. I was never anemic either, but when I was in this stage "don't wanna eat, nothing is going down right" phase, I slacked on iron rich foods, and while I was not clinically anemic, my numbers did drop. Once you get to where you can add some dark green veggies such as spinach, I think you'll feel better. I seriously eat creamed spinach once a week, and typically make an entire meal out of it for the iron content of spinach. It's my favorite, and I try to eat it weekly. If you can cooked veggies, try getting some greens. That'll help with the constipation issue, and give you some nutrient dense yumminess for your body to run on.

Can you have avocados, or Peanut Butter yet? If so, just a couple slices of avocados have a good chunk of healthy fats and nutrients. They are nice and mushy, I loved mushing them up and adding it to my chicken/tuna salads. Peanut Butter wasn't too sweet for me, and I was able to eat a couple of tablespoons to help with calorie intake. Dried fruits have carbs, and if you are watching those then it might not be the best option, but for good iron content, and added calories, they are a good option.

Here's a couple of links for iron rich foods. If you're allowed some of these, try to get some of them in your regimen. Scallops are my favorite seafood.

• Red meat
  • Egg yolks
  • Dark, leafy greens (spinach, collards)
  • Dried fruit (prunes, raisins)
  • Iron-enriched cereals and grains (check the labels)
  • Mollusks (oysters, clams, scallops)
  • Turkey or chicken giblets
  • Beans, lentils, chick peas and soybeans
  • Liver
  • Artichokes

http://www.loveyourbaby.com/iron-rich-food-list.html

Here's a couple of links for Iron rich foods. If you're allowed some of these, try to get some of them in your regimen. Scallops are my favorite seafood.

•Red meat

•Egg yolks

•Dark, leafy greens (spinach, collards)

•Dried fruit (prunes, raisins)

•Iron-enriched cereals and grains (check the labels)

•Mollusks (oysters, clams, scallops)

•Turkey or chicken giblets

Beans, lentils, chick peas and soybeans

•Liver

•Artichokes

I do like spinach, but never thought of having it for a whole meal! I'm so obcessed with getting my Protein in I've been seriously vegetable deprived. I have an egg every morning. I'm not allowed red meats till 5 months out. I don't eat Cereal (1 egg fills me up) and don't like any of the sea foods you listed. I love turkey and chicken and eat them regularly. I also eat Beans, but don't like liver. I'll have to try artichokes....I like them in a dip!

Now, I can almost say just talking about food makes me feel almost hungry!! LOL Hubby and I are taking our oldest son and his family out to Texas Roadhouse for lunch today. Think I'll get hubby to order some barbeque chicken and a sweet potato to share with me. He's a sweetie!

Thanks Tif.....hugs to you!!

You are so not alone, I couldn't have described how I feel better than you in your fourth paragraph. Hope you/we feel better soon! And yes, an appetite without feeling like crap after eating would be a great thing.

Why is the number one rule no drinking? Isn't that so your stomach won't empty out and make you want to eat again sooner? food sits in my stomach for a long time and I am trying to get more food in as I know I'm not getting enough Protein. As I said in my orginal post, I'm taking my Vitamins and getting in as much Protein as I can. I even nibble on a Protein Bar when I can't (due to working) stop to eat anything else.

I don't need criticism, I need ideas. I gave up tracking my protein intake, it was not helping. I'm not eating any empty calories. My focus is protein, protein, protein. My problem is I have NO appetite so it's hard to force food down. Yes, I have a light complection, but when my face looks almost gray, that's not normal. I don't think sun will help that.

I've been pretty tired. Even getting off of two of my bp meds hasn't helped alot. Is there anything that can stimulate my appetite? I think it would help my metabolism if I could eat more. I don't even crave sweets. I looked at boxes of filled sticks at work and it almost made me nausated to watch my coworker eating one.

For some losing your appetite is a good thing, but when you continually have to force yourself to eat and drink it can be a bad thing. Eating is now a chore, not the enjoyable thing I used to look forward to. Am I the only one with this problem?