Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I didn't have to remove nothing !

Didn't have to remove either tongue nor nipple. Nipple piercing was just taped up to cover the metal. Has been the same through all my four surgeries over the years. :-)

I just took my nose piercing out before they put me under and then put it right back in as soon as I was alert enough. I've had it for many years but I still don't like to be without it.

Sigh. I don't want to take out any of my piercings, but I probably will have to as well. Not sure going to talk to the nurse at my appointment on the 28+h.

Surgery date: Feb.12+h :) :) so excited!!!!

I have a nose piercing and my doc said I had to take it out or I was not getting surgery... I am going to try to get a plastic one the week before. Its only been a couple months and I really don't want it to close up. Plus, I want to go in and have my piercer do it for me, I am such a pansy when it comes to pain. lol...

I have a nose piercing and my doc said I had to take it out or I was not getting surgery... I am going to try to get a plastic one the week before. Its only been a couple months and I really don't want it to close up. Plus' date=' I want to go in and have my piercer do it for me, I am such a pansy when it comes to pain. lol...[/quote']

Dude I had to take out my snake bites they closed I was so mad. But my tounge stayed open =)

When I did my band I had to remove everything. The reason is when you are under and god forbid something happens they need to "shock" you, the metal could be a huge hazard, as you are grounded and it could cause serious burns, etc. even if its not required you should as a big safety precaution! Do some research about wearing metal and going under, taking them out is a small price to pay when you see what could happen!

I also had a sub dermal anchor in my chest I had to get removed before going under, and that was an implant so.. Ya

Think of it this way, yes we love our piercing a but a new life/body is worth the $60 to re pierce if it closes ;-) not worth the risk of keeping them in!

dear friends, for surgery you definitely have to remove anything metal before they start. why? because they use an electrosurgery cauterization which can easily ground to your piercings and burn you,yes, there! so get them out beforehand. you can put everything back on as soon as you are out of surgery and recovery. love sara, a nurse

I was asked to take all mine out but when i told them I couldn't take out my tragus they just put tape over it

I've never taken mine out for any surgery. It depends on the anesthesiologist and surgeon. If there are oral or nasal pircings they will want those out for sure because they will intubate you while you are under. I would imagine navel and genital piercings would be a no-no too as those are both areas that will be worked on (surgical site, catheter). There is a risk of burning with electrocautery, but I was fine. If they needed to perform CPR and defibrillate, the risk is the same. At the end of the day, you can ask, and they may let you tape up, but if they want them out be ready. :)

Yup. Had to remove all jewelry and piercings.

You don't have to take them out.... You can sign a waiver saying that you are aware of what can happen if you leave them in. They will tape them but that does not prevent you from getting burned in the rare chance that you do.