Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I lucky told I didn't need a PRE-OPT diets

I am doing Weight Watchers while I am waiting out my 6 months of diet with my Dr. I figure it is a jump start and my insurance says "The initial BMI at the beginning of a weight reduction program will be used to meet the BMI criteria for the definition of morbid obesity used in this policy." So I don't have to worry about getting too low.

I was wondering so some are following a liquid Protein diet for many months before hand?

I was wondering so some are following a liquid Protein diet for many months before hand?

Holy cow I hope not! I think they just mean that most people have to do 1 to 2 weeks of low carbs or liquids right before surgery. My doc says just don't gain and nothing solid the day before surgery. But I believe I will probably do at least a few days of liquids so I won't have much in my bowels after surgery.

I ended up doing my own liquid diet to help and make things easier. I am one week out POST Surgery and feeling great!

I didn't have any complications and the worst thing that I have had to deal with is the gas... It was so hard to get passed!

Good Luck everyone

G

DH was just sleeved Mar. 1st and (of course same surgeon as me) and he didn't do a pre-op either.

I see you and your Husband are both sleeved? Do you have children? I am in the process now of getting my ducks in order to send to the insurance for approval. My husband is "thinking" about doing it himself but not until after September. How is it with both of you doing this together? Just curious.

Thank you,

Sheila

Because of the program I'm going through, it scares me that people don't have a pre-op diet to follow. I can't imagine not practicing the changes you need to make for after surgery. I think it just makes it so much easier if you're already practicing what you'll be doing after surgery, so you're more prepared. But as I'm seeing, there are so many different programs. And as others have said, following a pre-op diet decreases any fat in the liver. And you don't want a fatty liver for surgery because it could crack and bleed and that would be all bad. I don't want to scare anyone, I just think the program I'm going through really emphasizes things to make us take it extra seriously. If that makes sense.

I'm with you "Liz".

My surgeon asked me very specifically not to change my eating habits at all pre-op -- no dieting, no overeating or bingeing. (Of course I couldn't eat anything after midnight the night before surgery.) There are also very few post-op restrictions, and liquids only for three-four days post-op. The rules post-op mostly are don't eat sugar or drink alcohol at first, wait till four weeks post-op to eat raw fruit/veg, and eat 'circle-wise' -- one bite Protein, one bite veg, one bite carb (preferably not white carbs), repeat -- and drink 1.5-2 litres of Water per day. There is quite in-depth training and examples given about how to eat post-op, it's just full foods right from the start, with no liquid or mushy phase per se, though they advise a lot of joghurt and quark and very well-cooked veg during the first couple post-op weeks.

This is all from a very experienced and academically respected hospital and bariatric team, who've led a number of studies and are well-published. I'm not saying that their rules (or perhaps relative lack thereof) are any better than all the liquids pre- and post-op -- I am just saying that, knowing what they know and how much experience they have (particularly with VSG), there is clearly huge variability in what is actually okay, or safe, pre- and post-op, from a quantifiable, replicable, medical/scientific evidence perspective.

And all that is prelude to the following: I believe that, without seeing the evidence or knowing the medical rationale firsthand (e.g., actual fatty liver is certainly not present in every heavy person and can be determined through a simple blood test), I personally would have had a hell of a time staying on any extensive liquid or other severe diets. I need a very good reason to feel that shitty for two weeks lol. And now THAT being said, one very good reason many of you mention, is that your surgeon requires it for you to get the surgery -- that would be quite motivating I'm sure. :D

Anyhow, best of luck to all of you in getting through the challenging times!!

It depends how you look at it.

I lost 25 pounds during my PRE OP diet. I didn't expect that. But, that's definitely helped me feel like my goals were more reachable.

Maybe low carb?

Here is my question. When people talk about a pre-op diet, do you mean a general diet to lose some of the weight or a full liquid diet? I had to go through a diet/weight management/nutrition class and lose 10% of my body weight. I don't have to do anything beyond that except for nothing after midnight the night before

Here is my question. When people talk about a pre-op diet, do you mean a general diet to lose some of the weight or a full liquid diet? I had to go through a diet/weight management/nutrition class and lose 10% of my body weight. I don't have to do anything beyond that except for nothing after midnight the night before

I only had the requirement not to eat after midnight the night before, too. It's common to have pre-op diets, but not everyone has them. I would consider your course where you lost 10% of your body weight to be a major pre-op diet! :D

I didn't have to do anything ahead of time either - my nutritionist said most people eat until the end like they are 'going to the chair'! I didn't go crazy but I did eat the things I liked that I knew I probably wouldn't really have again (popcorn, bread, etc.). It was nice but many others have a big headstart on the weight loss. I don't think I could have done the liquids for two weeks prior though with a full stomach - think I would have cheated quite a bit.

I am wondering am I one of the lucky ones that doesn't have to do a 2 week pre op diet?

I was told just don't go to buffets before! LOL

I thought about doing my own modified one anyway to make things even more easier on myself?

Thoughts comments?

G

My pre-op diet is 10 days of low carb / high Protein before my surgery and I think nothing after 10 pm the night before. If I had to do a total liquid diet for 2 weeks BEFORE the surgery and then face another 2 weeks after, I couldn't do it. I know me and facing a month of nothing but liquids would put me off the idea of surgery altogether.

One of my best friends joined this board but hasn't chimed in yet had to do the full 2 weeks of pre-op on liquids and I felt terrible for her. I guess it all depends on your dr but follow his / her advice because you have one stomach, do it right.

Renee`

Hi, G! My doctor's dietician told me the Pre Op diet was to shrink the liver in preparation for the surgery. It is not a weightloss issue, just a detox type of thing where you want to build your immune system up so that surgery will go smoother. I am surprised at your doc not requiring a preop diet. I have my appt for preop consult and instructions for the diet in the morning. My target date is either May 27th or 31st.

I am wondering am I one of the lucky ones that doesn't have to do a 2 week pre op diet?

I was told just don't go to buffets before! LOL

I thought about doing my own modified one anyway to make things even more easier on myself?

Thoughts comments?

G

My dr wants to shrink my liver with this preop diet. I see him and the nutritionist in the morning. Incidently, mine is revision surgery from bypass to sleeve, which will be particularly delicate. I am planning that my recovery might take a little longer because of the revision. I have been on a lowcarb/high Protein regimen on my own for about a week and a half now, 6 pounds lost, but the dr does not really want to look for weightloss during preop phase. I think they want me to build my immune system up, start the dietary supplementation, and get the habit of drinking liquids and weining from all carbonated drink and waters. This took a good effort on my part because I loved the Diet Cokes!! However, now that I am totally off the sodas, the liquids taste better and I am drinking more Water that tastes so much better. This is a time of detoxification.

My surgeon asked me very specifically not to change my eating habits at all pre-op -- no dieting, no overeating or bingeing. (Of course I couldn't eat anything after midnight the night before surgery.) There are also very few post-op restrictions, and liquids only for three-four days post-op. The rules post-op mostly are don't eat sugar or drink alcohol at first, wait till four weeks post-op to eat raw fruit/veg, and eat 'circle-wise' -- one bite Protein, one bite veg, one bite carb (preferably not white carbs), repeat -- and drink 1.5-2 litres of Water per day. There is quite in-depth training and examples given about how to eat post-op, it's just full foods right from the start, with no liquid or mushy phase per se, though they advise a lot of joghurt and quark and very well-cooked veg during the first couple post-op weeks.

This is all from a very experienced and academically respected hospital and bariatric team, who've led a number of studies and are well-published. I'm not saying that their rules (or perhaps relative lack thereof) are any better than all the liquids pre- and post-op -- I am just saying that, knowing what they know and how much experience they have (particularly with VSG), there is clearly huge variability in what is actually okay, or safe, pre- and post-op, from a quantifiable, replicable, medical/scientific evidence perspective.

And all that is prelude to the following: I believe that, without seeing the evidence or knowing the medical rationale firsthand (e.g., actual fatty liver is certainly not present in every heavy person and can be determined through a simple blood test), I personally would have had a hell of a time staying on any extensive liquid or other severe diets. I need a very good reason to feel that shitty for two weeks lol. And now THAT being said, one very good reason many of you mention, is that your surgeon requires it for you to get the surgery -- that would be quite motivating I'm sure. :D

Anyhow, best of luck to all of you in getting through the challenging times!!

Incidently, mine is revision surgery from bypass to sleeve, which will be particularly delicate.

I didn't even know that revision was possible, that's great! What do they do for the revision -- do they first reverse the RNY and then make a sleeve from the pouch + old stomach? If you know the details, I'd love to hear them.

Best of luck also!!

ATLGirl,

Im curious who your surgeon was? Im just starting out in the approval phase and am going with Dr. Smith at Kennestone Hospital in GA. i saw your name "ATL" and thought you might be located in Atlanta too.

If you did use Dr Smith, can you give me some info on how it went? if not, who sis you use for the sleeve? As far as I know hes the only surgeon in the area that does them.

SOCKMONKEE38

You can try very low carbs, high Protein to put the body in ketoisis. I was able to eat all the Protein, fresh veggies, and sugar free drinks until about 3 days before. Then mainly liquids with 1 protein.