Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New here and need some advice

Hi everyone! I'm new to this site and I'm looking for some advice...

I had my Realize band placed in Sept 2008, over the first year and a half, I lost aprox. 85 pounds but over the last year I have gained back at least 30 pounds. To make a long story short, my problems started when I began getting my fills and I had a really hard time trying to find my sweet spot. I would think I was there but then it would be end up being too tight or too loose. Over the course of 2 years I had to go in for a couple of emergency unfills, had several barium swallows, and had an endoscopy. My doctor was horrible and acted like everything was my fault. He would always say that everything looked ok from the tests and tell me I was eating too much or whatever. So many times I would feel like I was becoming bulimic because my band would be so tight that I keep very little down, but if i went in for a slight unfill, I would be able to eat pretty much what I wanted. It was a vicious cycle that would last for about 3-6 months before I would have to get unfilled.

After my last unfill, I pretty much just gave up on my band and have been miserable for the past 6 months. I switched my insurance and just recently found out that they will pay for the sleeve. I went to get a consultation on a revision with a different doctor and the doctor told me that we could try the sleeve and later revise to bypass if im not losing like i want to because i expressed to him my concerns about the bypass. But he recommended the bypass for me because of the amount of weight I have to lose and the problems that i have had with the band. I'm now at a crossroad because I want to lose this weight that I have struggled with my whole life but the reason I went with the band was because I didn't want the drastic change of the bypass. But now I have the option of getting the sleeve, which seems like the way to go but I'm also considering the bypass now. I just am really unsure because I'm young and I still want to be able to have kids soon without any problems. I'm just so confused because I still have at least 150 pounds to lose and I don't think I can make it through another disappointment like the band. Any advice would be appreciated because I plan on having my revision soon and my time is running out... Thanks for listening....

Monica

I had all sorts of problems with my band. I had it taken out and revised to the sleeve in late December. Best decision I have EVER made! I am losing weight and I have control of food. Plus, I don't have to worry about sliming and all of that other drama from the band. I love the sleeve and I am thankful that there are no big issues with nutrient absorbtion like with the bypass. Good luck with your revision!

I think the sleeve will be a great option for you. I do believe that you will be able to loose the 150 pounds with the sleeve alone. Plus you will have the option to go to a full DS if you and your DR find it nessary. The sleeve is a wonderfull tool.

There are plenty of people who have lost 150 lbs with the sleeve. The sleeve is the best option for anyone . Having your intestines cut and rearranged is insane.

I think after reading on this site and some others, that I am def going to go with the sleeve. I just can't get past the massive trauma that you body goes through with the bypass, it just doesn't seem safe. I read a statistic that 1 in 350 die from the bypass whereas 1 in 1000 die from the sleeve. That seems like proof enough to me that I will try all other avenues before going to that extreme. Thanks everyone for responding, God knows i'm going to need all the support I can get. I will never forget when I was getting ready to have my band surgery and I got on lap band talk, it seemed like most people were in their own little cliques and they didn't want to talk to anybody but their clique. It really made me feel like an outsider, and the same thing happened at my support group too. It seemed like everybody had their own little group. Everyone on here seems to be really helpful and not negative...

So do you guys have any advice for me as I start this process? I'm going next Tuesday to do a mental evaluation and to meet with the nutritionist. Hopefully I will be able to have my surgery within the next month.

Glad to have you join us here at sleeve talk.! Most people have pretty uneventful surgeries but some people have trouble drinking in the beginning. If you have a hard time drinking, be sure to at least sip Water every few minutes.

I had the same problems with the band. It was either too tight and I could barely eat, or too loose to be effective. I could eat junk and sweets no problem, but lean Protein or veggies, forget it. I felt like a big failure, and I was sure I was the only one. I was even afraid to go to my doctor. Long story short, I revised to the sleeve in January, and it is the best decision I could have made. I have lost almost as much in two months with my sleeve as I lost in 4 years suffering with my band. My band now sits in a jar in my closet, where it belongs, not in my body, it is a reminder of how far I have come and struggled, but finally I'm on my way to success. Good luck to you, you will love the sleeve, it's everything the band was supposed to be and more.

I had the same problems with the band. It was either too tight and I could barely eat, or too loose to be effective. I could eat junk and sweets no problem, but lean Protein or veggies, forget it. I felt like a big failure, and I was sure I was the only one. I was even afraid to go to my doctor. Long story short, I revised to the sleeve in January, and it is the best decision I could have made. I have lost almost as much in two months with my sleeve as I lost in 4 years suffering with my band. My band now sits in a jar in my closet, where it belongs, not in my body, it is a reminder of how far I have come and struggled, but finally I'm on my way to success. Good luck to you, you will love the sleeve, it's everything the band was supposed to be and more.

Yup sounds just like my life since the band.... I did get my surgery date and it is April 6... I couldn't believe how fast the process is compared to my band surgery. (It took me about 11 months to jump through all the hoops that Blue Cross made for bariatric surgery). I am so excited and can't wait to get this band out! I started a pre op diet on Thurs, which isnt so bad. Im thinking of it as my divorce from food. I am not going to let food take over and control my life any longer! :D