Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

DR> ACEVES: SERIOUSLY, NOW

:). Hello, I have surgery scheduled in Mexico with Dr. Aceves at the end of the month. I called and scheduled it after poking around the net and realizing that if I went self-pay out of the country I could not only save myself ten thousand dollars but also avoid all kinds of bureaucratic traps such as having to wait to get a psyct eval and waiting for people to get back to me and put me in the pipeline and so forth. I chose Dr. Aceves and scheduled right away -- I love Nina, she put me right at ease -- but the most remarkable thing was...I could not find a SINGLE thing online that even came close to a bad review of Dr. Aceves. Not ANYWHERE.

Except for that one guy on this board from a couple days ago who said he almost died three weeks later. I am not sure I believe him and I'm new to WLS scuttlebutt, so seriously:

1. Is there ANYONE out there except that ONE GUY who's had a bad experience, complication or issue with Dr. Aceves?

2. Do you believe that one guy had complications as he said, and if so do you think they were directly related to WLS with Dr. Aceves?

I had no complications and haven't seen anyone else here who reported complications. There was a post a while back that Dr. Aceves admitted having his first leak but as far as I know the person who had the leak didn't post.

I don't believe the guy who said he had complications because he came, posted, said he would be telling the whole story "next week" (that was weeks ago) and as far as I know never came back.

I believe that anyone can have complications. Dr Aceves and their team do their part to minimize the risks. Could they have messed up? Sure! DId they? I don't know. I know I had Dr Aceves do my surgery and I received much better care there than here in the US. I'd send anyone to him including my Mom or friends or even hubby.

1. Is there ANYONE out there except that ONE GUY who's had a bad experience, complication or issue with Dr. Aceves?

2. Do you believe that one guy had complications as he said, and if so do you think they were directly related to WLS with Dr. Aceves?

Hi Crosswind! I personally have not once seen a negative feedback on Dr. Aceves. I didn't see the post on the mystery man who claimed he nearly died. I won't say if it is true or not. I'm no one to judge, but I would like you to keep in mind that there is a lot of responsibility on the patient just as much as the surgeon. You have to wonder why he is such an anomaly that he nearly died. Did he follow the post op plan as directed? Did he maybe eat something he shouldn't have and too early out? Was he getting all of his fluids and supplements? Who knows...

We have to remember that no one is perfect. It stands to reason that even Dr. Aceves could have a few complications here and there, I just personally have never seen any. Doesn't mean they aren't there. I certainly didn't have any complications out of norm. I did have nausea in the hospital and I also needed a catheter at one point. I also had a hard time swallowing from the pain, which as it was explained to me was, since I was a revision from the Lap Band it was pretty common. I absolutely and highly recommend Dr. A. His compassion, bedside manner and his technique saved my life. I'm going for a post op next weekend and I will be very happy to see him and his team!!!

Hi Crosswind! I personally have not once seen a negative feedback on Dr. Aceves. I didn't see the post on the mystery man who claimed he nearly died. I won't say if it is true or not. I'm no one to judge, but I would like you to keep in mind that there is a lot of responsibility on the patient just as much as the surgeon. You have to wonder why he is such an anomaly that he nearly died. Did he follow the post op plan as directed? Did he maybe eat something he shouldn't have and too early out? Was he getting all of his fluids and supplements? Who knows...

We have to remember that no one is perfect. It stands to reason that even Dr. Aceves could have a few complications here and there, I just personally have never seen any. Doesn't mean they aren't there. I certainly didn't have any complications out of norm. I did have nausea in the hospital and I also needed a catheter at one point. I also had a hard time swallowing from the pain, which as it was explained to me was, since I was a revision from the Lap Band it was pretty common. I absolutely and highly recommend Dr. A. His compassion, bedside manner and his technique saved my life. I'm going for a post op next weekend and I will be very happy to see him and his team!!!

Yeah, with that guy we don't know the whole story. When I talked to Nina she said Ernesto's made some observations about one or two people on the way to the airport -- like one of them wanted to stop somewhere to get chips and soda....

Dr. Aceves did my sleeve and I had zero problems except catching a rotten cold on the way back home, which of course was not his fault. If I had to do it over again I definitely would go back to him. He and his team are fantastic. He actually keeps you at the hospital longer than most surgeons do here in the states, and the hospital staff are excellent. Best of success to you!

Hi Crosswinds, Dr. Aceves and his team are AWESOME! I went with him, he seems to have less complications after surgery. When I arrived at the hospital I was a bit nervous because I was schedule to have surgery that day. They were rushing me around asking me questions and giving me directions while my blood sugars were way low(fasting). I was not so confident NOW, I was ready to flee! It was a lot to take in started to cry. I then went to meet Dr.Aceves and listen to his instructions by the end I of the lecture I was back on board. He was very friendly, very assuring and Very Caring! You will be in great hands. I was even the last surgery (which bothered me) and I came out just fine. I suggest going during the week because you get to see him everyday plus there are more of the staff that speak English

God Forbid a group of people who have carried the stigma of Fat Hate and self negative emotions all their life, might contain a troll in need of any attention he can rustle up. I literally have not found a negative reference, and I am fine with that!

Hi there:

Just want to follow up here on my own thread from two years ago and say that I did get my sleeve from Dr. Aceves in March of 2011. I had NO complications, no complaints, no problems whatsoever. I did not reach my goal of 155 but I am holding steady in the high 170s and I have done so for about a year.

One thing I had to watch for was supplementing Iron and B12, which got me into trouble at about 18 months. But this had nothing to do with the surgeon or really the sleeve -- I just needed more of it to begin with, anyway.

I do not regret my sleeve, or my choice of surgeon, at all so far.