Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting Sleeved Young

I was also on the young side (22 years 10 months at surgery last July), but all of the older people I talked to who have had weight loss surgery told me they wish they could have done it at my age to avoid the diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, arthritis, etc. That was all I needed to hear - I decided to just go for it while I was still young and healthy (aside from weighing 332 lbs.).

Best of luck.

You might want to talk to PInkbab2011- she is 18 was sleeved March 1st and posted a few times in My Story. I notice she really is not too happy with the loss of drinking big gulps of Water and is also asking how soon you can return to eating pizza, burgers, hotdogs, wings....what in my house and among my son's friends looks like typical 18 year old food. You will see from what I posted what my concerns are- and I think as long as you realize what a comittment to a lifestyle change and a focus on health and nutrition this is you can have great success. Good luck to you!

Dear Amber, my BMI was "only" over 34 when I got sleeved, but I wish I had it done 10 years ago (I am 30 now). I would have saved myself a lot of health troubles. And I would have been happier. It does change your life, but before the sleeve I lived for food, right now I have so many other interestests! Like my skinny friends I eat and drink just a little bit and have more time for other stuff. I really wish I had it done before...

I missed out on a lot during my 20's due to obesity, and even though I had a very active fun, partying social life, I realize now just how much I missed out on. I had my revision at 32, and while I don't regret waiting, if I could have avoided obesity during my 20's, well I would have been elated to have that opportunity.

In the long run, you really have to look at this as a life long commitment. At 18, you have to be mature enough to realize that the big time partying days of drinking heavily, and eating copious amounts of food are over for the most part; unless you want to gain weight. Are you planning on going to college? If so, consider the freshmen 15 that most gain, and if you do not have coping mechanisms in place to deal with stress and college life, are you going to turn to junk food which I'll add slides right on down very easily and those 300 calories creep up like you wouldn't believe. I think it's an amazing opportunity to have VSG early, and avoid a life complicated by obesity and obesity-related conditions/disease, BUT I think you really need to be mentally prepared to accept that your "new way of life" is NOT going to be typical to others in your peer group.

Bouncing off of what Tiffykins said, I wish I could have had the sleeve before going to college. I started at NYU in August of 2006 weighing 203 lbs., and by May of 2010 I was 332 lbs., a lot of which was the freshman 75 haha (mostly from food, not much of a drinker then).

Echoing that same notion, I think it's wonderful that at your age, you can see what's coming (looking at family history -- it took me until age 44 to do that seriously) and that you want to take control of your health and your life right NOW. Right now, weight is probably more of a social issue and you certainly don't want to be held back from living life fully at your age.

My only concern IS with the social issue.... will you be able to handle it when your friends are always wanting to go to the bar, drink, and hit Taco Bell on the way home? Eating crap is such a huge social thing with your age group. If you decide to go ahead and pursue this, and it IS an amazing thing, then you have to be ready to handle situations like that, which will more than likely occur much more often when you're younger than they do with us old farts. If you have a plan in place and you think you can find ways to either avoid that kind of thing or deal with it effectively as it comes, then I say go for it. B)

I really does matter how much you have to lose but I don't think age has anything to do with it. I too wish I would have done something sooner! At my age now the skin doesn't go away as easy! GOOD LUCK on your JOURNEY!!! We are HERE if you need advise or just need to VENT!!!

I'm only 18 and I'm very interested in getting the VSG. I was interested in the Lap Band for the longest time but after reading about both and hearing about them at the seminar, I have no interest in getting the band over the sleeve. I know this is a life changing decision, so how do you feel over someone so young getting the sleeve? I have an appointment next week with Dr. Hoehn in Kansas City. They will then submit my information to insurance. Thanks for any feedback. [:

Hi Amber :)

I don't think you're too young, it more depends on your maturity level and your willingness to follow the post op program. Following the dietary and nutritional needs following surgery is of the utmost importance. It is *not* for losing weight, it is to protect your stomach and your newly cut staple line.

I wish this surgery was around when I was much younger. I would have done it a long time ago. True it took me a over a year to make the decision to do it, but that was because I already had the Lap Band and I had to weigh my options on revision. If I knew about the sleeve while researching the band, you better believe I would've gotten the sleeve instead.

Good luck on your decision!!!

Hey you might be young, but you should be able to live like you're young too. I'm 29 now and I wish I would have done this sooner. All I can say is 30 is supposed to be the new 20 and I'm looking forward to that. If you qualify for the surgery and you feel that it is right for you, then it will be!

I got sleeved at 25, also at a relatively low BMI (just under 35). The only upside to getting sleeved at 25 rather than 20 (when I first hit the "obese" range) I can think of is that these extra years gave me an opportunity to grow emotionally and understand where some of my eating urges were coming from and to deal with them to the best of my ability. Don't get me wrong, I couldn't get my issues 100% under control - hence why I had the sleeve - but at 20, I was still occasionally making myself vomit after binges and I had terrible body image. At 25, I still binged, but no more barfing - and while I knew I was fat and wouldn't parade around town in booty shorts, I had no qualms wearing a bathing suit to the beach. It was nice to have the body image issues mostly sorted out and the eating disorder out of the way. Being older and financially independent also allowed me to have the courage to remove the greatest stressor and the biggest emotional eating trigger out of my life (my father, in case you are wondering).

It is not about age but about BMI and the failed attempts to loose and keep it off. 40 is a high BMI and it for sure is impacting on your ability to enjoy a lot of things in your life. You will be able to get into sports and enjoy a lot of social activities that do not have to be directly related to eating a lot or drinking a lot. My thin friends from my youth would eat less than what a sleeved person eats. You just need to talk to yourself and really ake sure you are prepared for the limitations in the amount of food and drinking (including alcohol). I am sure you will be so happy with your new healthy body that you will find a lot of other social activities that do not impact on your sleeve. Good luck. Dont waste the best years of your life batling obesity.

Amber,

I am 22 years old and I am having my surgery tomorrow morning (yea! :) .) This was a big decision for me but I knew that I had tried other ways to lose weight and couldnt. I am married, will be 3 year anniversary in 10days, and I have a 2 year old. I chose to get healthy for my daughter, my husband, and for myself. I am a student, and I do not drink or smoke. So if you dont have problems with those I think you will be fine. I chose to change my life right now. I have the rest of my life ahead of me and was tired of living an anti-social lifestyle. I was tired of avaoiding friends from high school and living in a bubble. I joined a gym and decided to exercise before WLS. Dont be desperate to want something so bad that you will do anything, especially if its not your only option. But if you've tried, and I mean REALLY tried to lose weight and you are ready to committ then I say you're not too young. We have our lives ahead of us at this young age..so lets make the most of it!

I am 19 years old, I have been overweight all my life, and have tried time and time again to lose weight. I am having surgery in May and it is a life changing experience, but think about what will happen if you don't. All of the health problems as we get older, I am 19 years old and I have back and knee pain daily! I'm not trying to push my decision on you, just giving you my side. Good luck in your decision, message me if you want to talk :)

I'm only 18 and I'm very interested in getting the VSG. I was interested in the Lap Band for the longest time but after reading about both and hearing about them at the seminar, I have no interest in getting the band over the sleeve. I know this is a life changing decision, so how do you feel over someone so young getting the sleeve? I have an appointment next week with Dr. Hoehn in Kansas City. They will then submit my information to insurance. Thanks for any feedback. [:

I am 19 years old, I have been overweight all my life, and have tried time and time again to lose weight. I am having surgery in May and it is a life changing experience, but think about what will happen if you don't. All of the health problems as we get older, I am 19 years old and I have back and knee pain daily! I'm not trying to push my decision on you, just giving you my side. Good luck in your decision, message me if you want to talk :)

Me and you are in the same boat; I too am 19 and getting sleeved in May. I don't have any weight-related health problems such as back pain but I can see myself having some later on, plus I have a bad family history of medical problems, so I'm hoping this surgery will spare me from most of that

I don't think a decision should be based on age, but maturity.

It depends how well you're going to be able to cope with all the changes.

It's a lot of different things going on.

I just turned 24 and so glad I did it! I feel like I'll be able to enjoy more things now :)