Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting Sleeved Young

I'm only 18 and I'm very interested in getting the VSG. I was interested in the Lap Band for the longest time but after reading about both and hearing about them at the seminar, I have no interest in getting the band over the sleeve. I know this is a life changing decision, so how do you feel over someone so young getting the sleeve? I have an appointment next week with Dr. Hoehn in Kansas City. They will then submit my information to insurance. Thanks for any feedback. [:

I don't know about 18 but I do wish I got my sleeve a lot younger... At 13 I was 306 lbs... I did weight watchers and was 245 lbs at 16 by 20 I climbed up to 415 and never saw lower then 395 lbs until 2010 when I was 32.

If you've tried dieting and failed then go for it!!! Good luck!

18 may be too young for something like this. I know I"ve always had problems with my weight but it's usually better to explore conventional weight loss before resorting to surger.

That being said, I wish VSG was available 15 or even 10 years ago. I could have saved myself a lot of problems.

If you don't think you could do it any other way, then don't waste your years trying and failing. But if you think there is a chance you could lose the weight on your own, then by all means do try.

I am 20 and I am getting sleeved April 13th. I guess it depends on how much you have to lose. I have over 200 LBS to lose.

I'm only 18 and I'm very interested in getting the VSG. I was interested in the Lap Band for the longest time but after reading about both and hearing about them at the seminar, I have no interest in getting the band over the sleeve. I know this is a life changing decision, so how do you feel over someone so young getting the sleeve? I have an appointment next week with Dr. Hoehn in Kansas City. They will then submit my information to insurance. Thanks for any feedback. [:

I just recently turned 20 on the 28th of February and have been talking to doctors about this surgery since I was about 18. I finally met with my surgeon the first week of March 2011 and I am now awaiting approval from my insurance company! I wish I would have taken more aggressive action when I was 18. I have lost 3 years of my life that I can never get back. Because of my weight, I never want to go anywhere or do anything because of my weight. What fun is that? None. I'm constantly being a hermit at home and DREAD running into friends from high school because I've gained so much more weight since then and know they all talk crap about me. We are supposed to be enjoying life and the freedom we have being young. I think it's a great idea if you have honestly tried everything else to lose. If nothing has worked, go talk to your Primary care doctor. I wish the best of luck to you!

SN- You might and usually have to meet a certain criteria for your insurance company to cover (a BMI over 30 for 3-5 years, a history of high blood pressure, sleep apnea, heart problems, diabetes, back problems. Usually any of those will get you approved. Oh and you have to show proof of trying and failed diets and your primary doctor has to write a letter to the insurance companies saying the surgery is necessary! Hope this helps!!

-Ashley

I think it all depends on your BMI, your weight history, eating habits, other routes of weight loss you've tried etc. Obviously, surgery is a last resort for most of us. At 18, i was chunky, but not grotesquely overweight.With that being said, no I don't think 18 is too young. You're an adult, you know your body and you know yourself. Lots of teens get surgery for a variety of reasons. As long as you go through the testing and psych consult, I don't see why you shouldn't go for it. Much luck to you and your decision.

I think it all depends on your BMI, your weight history, eating habits, other routes of weight loss you've tried etc. Obviously, surgery is a last resort for most of us. At 18, i was chunky, but not grotesquely overweight.With that being said, no I don't think 18 is too young. You're an adult, you know your body and you know yourself. Lots of teens get surgery for a variety of reasons. As long as you go through the testing and psych consult, I don't see why you shouldn't go for it. Much luck to you and your decision.

I am 26 and I am looking into getting the VSG too. I have done lots of research on all of the procedures and I have no interest in getting the band either. I went to the required seminar on Saturday and the surgeons talked mostly about the band and the bypass. I called today to make my first appointment with the surgeon. I am concerned that he is going to push the band on me because of my age and relatively low BMI (40.1 and counting). I had never seriously considered WLS before I found out about the VSG because I don't like the band and the bypass is too invasive for me. I don't like the idea of any foreign objects inside of me so the band is not an option for me. The staples for the VSG will be hard enough. Also, one of the selling points of the band is that it is reversible. Like you said, this is a life changing decision and we are not making this decision lightly. We are committed to changing our lives forever for the better, so there is no need for something reversible. I say if you are truly committed to making the changes necessary for success then more power to you. Good luck!

Thank you guys for all the feedback. I do have a lower BMI for WLS patients, around 40 I think, but my family has so much obesity and health problems. I would rather solve them while I was younger which is why I'm really wanting it now.

I agree about the Lap Band. I would be scared to lose like 30 pounds and have it slip. Which would put me under the weight limits to have VSG replace it. Plus all the money, stress, and waiting it would take to have any of these surgeries. My mom did have the bypass, she looks GREAT. She lost over 100 pounds in around 9 months or so. She has only been able to do cardio because she doesn't have the energy to do strenghth. She will need plastic surgery to get rid of extra skin.

Ashely, I feel just like that basically. I don't like staying home, but I don't like going out and feel like everyone thinks badly of me. I hate that my weight holds me back so I really need to change that.

Amber, I am 62 and will be getting sleeved on 4-14-11. How I wish I could have done this before my skin is old and stretched out. I will probably have to wear some kind of suit to keep from flapping in the wind when the fat is gone :) My daughter is 33 and had her sleeve on 7-1-10. She has lost 85 lbs and says it is life changing. She looks and feels great.

I say if you are 18, in good health and have already been struggling with your weight, GO FOR IT!!!! Keep us posted on your decision. Everyone here is in your corner.

I think it's completely up to you. You're the only one who knows your struggles, and you're the only one that knows if you have the determination/will-power to make the necessary changes. If you feel that you can't do it any other way and are willing to do what it takes then by all means go for it!! Dr. Hoehn is my doctor as well. I will be sleeved on April 13. This website is so great and can pretty much answer any question you might have. Good luck with whatever you decide.

That's great! I'm excited for you. [: Lol extra skin is better than the extra weight though I'm sure. I have no idea what mine will do with the whole "pale, redhead skin" thing.

I will definitely keep you posted, as long as you tell me how your surgery goes. [:

Think of it this way, we'll be avoiding future health problems that would come along with waiting!

or, would you rather lose excess weight you've been carrying for 5 years or 10 years? Surely most people would pick 5 years because that means there is less damage to your body right?

I have lost 3 years of my life that I can never get back. Because of my weight, I never want to go anywhere or do anything because of my weight. What fun is that? None. I'm constantly being a hermit at home and DREAD running into friends from high school because I've gained so much more weight since then and know they all talk crap about me. We are supposed to be enjoying life and the freedom we have being young.

-Ashley

Hey Ashley, before you let your thoughts get in the way of enjoying your life again, here's a little quote that always sees me through: "You probably wouldn't worry about what other people think of you if you could know how seldom they do." Olin Miller.

Tom

I am also 18. I was also interested in getting the lap band since it could be taken out if there was ever a problem, but after talking to my doctor about it, I changed my mind and decided I wanted a sleeve. Currently, I have a BMI of 47 and both of my parents have had WLS in the past. I know getting WLS at 18 might seem drastic to some, but I would much rather get it done now instead of remaining obese for many more years. Getting the surgery now also helps prevent me from getting co-morbidities such as heart problems, sleep apnea, etc.

Obviously since I am also your age and looking into surgery, I say go for it. It's your body and if you think surgery is the best option, then don't worry about what other people think because years down the road when you are fit and healthy, you will be so happy that you got the surgery at a young age.

Good luck!!:)