Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vertical Gastric Sleeve vs Gastric Plication

Hello...I am struggling with choosing the sleeve or plication. Is the plication as effective? Can you lose 100% of excess weight? Is it safe to eat less than 1200 calories a day? How many should you aim for with plication to have optimum results. (we'll assume excerise is regular and no sweets or too much carbs) Tx.

I cant tell you very much about the plication. My insurance would only cover the sleeve. I know that it is turning your stomach on itself and making it smaller that way. It does not help with the chemical that makes you hungry. When you have the sleeve they cut your stomach out and it also cuts out the region of the stomach that makes the chemical that controls hunger. I think that I made an awesome choice, but there are a couple of people that has the plication here. I do hope they chime in..I think this will help you make your decesion. The biggest thing is to reasearch each of the surgeries extensively and make a decesion based on the knowledge that you find.. I wish you luck my friend in your Quest. No matter what decesion you make I think you will be happy with it. I know if I had to do it again I would not hesitate to have the sleeve again..good luck

Although the part of the stomach that produces ghrelin, the "hunger" hormone, still exists with the plication, the production of ghrelin is "turned off" by pressure to the sides of the stomach and "turned on" when the stomach is empty. In other words, when the stomach is full, which it would be with small amounts of food with the plication also, the ghrelin production is turned off anyway. I had the plication on 3/7, so am only 5 days post op. So far I am impressed with how quickly I get full and that I have no appetite or hunger. I choose it because I was concerned about the higher risks post op of the sleeve. I have heard, however, that, although the weight loss with the plication is supposed to be very similar to the sleeve, that the sleeve tends to cause a slightly higher weight loss overall. But, it's all in what you put into it! :) Good luck with your decision.

Although the part of the stomach that produces ghrelin, the "hunger" hormone, still exists with the plication, the production of ghrelin is "turned off" by pressure to the sides of the stomach and "turned on" when the stomach is empty. In other words, when the stomach is full, which it would be with small amounts of food with the plication also, the ghrelin production is turned off anyway. I had the plication on 3/7, so am only 5 days post op. So far I am impressed with how quickly I get full and that I have no appetite or hunger. I choose it because I was concerned about the higher risks post op of the sleeve. I have heard, however, that, although the weight loss with the plication is supposed to be very similar to the sleeve, that the sleeve tends to cause a slightly higher weight loss overall. But, it's all in what you put into it! :) Good luck with your decision.

Thanks so much for answering...did you fly anywhere after your operation (going to Mexico from Canada).... How well did you feel right after surgery? Are you hungry hungry hungry??? What are you eating/drinking now... what did you have post op till now? I am still leaning towards plication and although "who wants your stomach folded in" is valid..who wants it cut and stapled is also a good question. Wish I had neither!!! (and lost weight)

any more insights...do you have reflux? when are you eating really solid food???

thanks again..

B

Hi Bizzy,I live in Idaho and had the Plication done in Salt Lake City which is about a 6 hour drive from where we live. I had the surgery on Monday and was discharged in the am the next day. I intended to stay another night in SLC in a hotel in case I had any complications or just didn't feel good enough to drive, but I didn't feel too bad, so we drove back to Idaho the day of discharge. It helped to be able to stop every couple of hours to walk and stretch my legs, which would be difficult on a flight. I thought I would feel better after surgery, but I have to admit I didn't feel very good the day of surgery and for a couple of days after. My mouth was very dry and pasty, my throat was sore from the intubation and endoflip, my stomach was cramping, the incisional areas hurt, and it hurt to take even the smallest sip of Water, etc. But! I have definitely felt better each day and now the "good" outweighs the "bad" as far as how I feel every day. I haven't been hungry at all until this morning when I woke up and thought "I'm really hungry"! but I had about 4 oz of a Protein Shake and that was enough to fill me up. I havent been able to eat/drink more than about 4 oz at a time before my stomach starts hurting which I think is the sign that it is full. It's hard to distinguish the sensations right now. I have had some gas pain throughout my stomach and to my shoulders that hasn't been very pleasant, but I've been following everyone's advice of "walk, walk, walk" and it seems to be helping. I am on a full liquid diet for 2 weeks post op then it switches to mushies for 2 weeks, then I can have solids. So, my typical day is a little bit of hot tea in the morning, about 4 oz of a Protein shake for Breakfast, sipping on green tea or crystal light until lunch which is 4 oz of blended cream of chicken Soup, then more sipping, maybe some broth in the afternoon, then for dinner, another 4 oz of a cream soup, then more sipping. I have been trying to fit in another protein shake in the evening, as well. We just bought some unflavored Protein Powder to add to the soup so I can get in more protein. I have had only a couple of episodes of reflux but it has been very minor. I told my husband last night that, if this lack of hunger and feeling full quickly is the norm, then I think this is going to work! Also, before the surgery I was very anxious about "letting go" of all the yummy food I used to be able to eat. Right now I have absolutely no desire for those foods. Every once in a while I'll watch a food commercial and think that looks really good, but the appetite just isn't there right now, which is nice.I know this is a tough decision to make. I spent a LONG time trying to decide, also. It's still scary, but I feel so far that it is the right decision. I wish I could have lost it on my own, too, but I couldn't and now I'm having lots of problems related to my weight. As they say, this is just a tool. You are still doing all the work. The tool just helps to reduce the "Troll" in my stomach that makes me want to eat all the time! :) I wish you the best in whatever you decide. I hope this info helps.

I had gastric plication on January 11. My surgery and experiences are some what different because I also got the lap band on top of plication. The combination of the two has been done only a few times and it's still experimental I haven't had any major problems so far. But, like others have said, if you feel full don't take another bite. Eat slow and chew good. I have a follow up and band fill tomorrow. I am excited to see what my surgeon has to say about my progress.

I traveled 3 1/2 hours away for my surgery. I was in the hospital 2 1/2 ays. Then I stayed in a hotel for the next 2 days in case there were any problems or complications. Many on other boards have talked a lot about this surgery not being reversible because they have heard that the stomach folds fuse together. I was told by my surgeon that it is completely reversible. Our plan is for me to lose 100 to 120 pounds or then convert to RNY. He felt that, due to my high weight, this would be the safest way to go. I had lost 102 pounds pre-op by dieting with the help of my nutritionist and swimming. I've lost cose to 30 pounds post op. My progress is a bit slow. That is due to the fast that I am not very mobile. But with the weight coming off I am beginning to be able to walk so that will help also.

If you haven't read this topic, it might be of interest to you since you are researching both procedures. This complication is not new, or rare and is being seen more and more with plication patients. There are a few posts on obesityhelp.com regarding this very complication, and you may want to search around on the VSG and Main forum for more information from those that have endured this specific issue.

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/14816-gps-update-important-new-information/page__p__125678__fromsearch__1#entry125678

I had gastric plication on January 11. My surgery and experiences are some what different because I also got the lap band on top of plication. The combination of the two has been done only a few times and it's still experimental I haven't had any major problems so far. But, like others have said, if you feel full don't take another bite. Eat slow and chew good. I have a follow up and band fill tomorrow. I am excited to see what my surgeon has to say about my progress.

I traveled 3 1/2 hours away for my surgery. I was in the hospital 2 1/2 ays. Then I stayed in a hotel for the next 2 days in case there were any problems or complications. Many on other boards have talked a lot about this surgery not being reversible because they have heard that the stomach folds fuse together. I was told by my surgeon that it is completely reversible. Our plan is for me to lose 100 to 120 pounds or then convert to RNY. He felt that, due to my high weight, this would be the safest way to go. I had lost 102 pounds pre-op by dieting with the help of my nutritionist and swimming. I've lost cose to 30 pounds post op. My progress is a bit slow. That is due to the fast that I am not very mobile. But with the weight coming off I am beginning to be able to walk so that will help also.

Good for you for the amount of weight you've lost already and for having the courage to have the surgery and get even healthier! I wish you much success!

I do not want to upset anyone but I will relate what my doctor said when i asked him about the plication - he has no plan to do the plication as he is very uncomfortable about the unused part of the stomach remaining and feels there would be many complications. He worked for years with the developer of the vsg so of course is biased but the things he said made sense to me.

I am scheduled for plication and lapband procedure on April 9th 2011 and I am a bit affraid any support wil help. :)

I am scheduled for plication and lapband procedure on April 9th 2011 and I am a bit affraid any support wil help. :)

Hi Maria,

I certainly understand your fears. All of the surgeries have potential risks to them. It's just a matter of doing your research and choosing one you feel the most comfortable with. Even though there are supposedly some doctors saying they wont do the plication, I believe it is still going to be done quite a bit more in the near future. I wish we had more long term results on it, though. So far, at 2 weeks out from the surgery, I feel great and am down 21 lbs. Hang in there, the nervousness is normal! :)