Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

UK Sleeve - 5 Days out

Hi Guys, Im from the UK and had my surgery done privately in Leicester.

Im 5 days out of surgery and feeling positive. Im adopted and this process started after finding my birth mother this time last year and then finding out my father died aged 32 from a heart attack, which is I suppose is as good a reason as any. (Im 35 years old and BMI 38)

I found the pre op hard but lost nearly 2 stone prior to going in hospital on Monday this week. The surgery went well (according to the surgeon). The next few days were pretty sore but now feeling better each day.

I will keep everyone posted as things progress. Im desperate to get back in the gym and really get into the "losing weight" stage. (Patience isnt my strong point!)

To anyone who is thinking of getting the surgery done my advice/thoughts are this :- Why go through life thinking what if......you get one shot at life and surely it is best to live as healthly and positively as possible rather than, "what if "I ,"I wonder"

Ive found these forums extremely informative and hopefully my journey will be as positive as other who have previously posted.

Hiya,

Welcome to the site... there are a few of us on here from the UK... this really is a great site for information, encouragement and support!

I am in South Wales, and also had mine done privately!

It does get much better... things will be less sore and your energy levels will start to go up...

I am 8mths out now and I can help in any way, let me know!

Coops =]

Hi and welcome

I'm an expat, who was also done privately... and am also adopted so can understand where some of your thoughts are coming from on that side of things.

Congrats on making the huge decision, and I assure you things do get better... I'd say the first 2 weeks are the hardest, but you'll soon be past them and on the fast track down the BMI scale. Take it easy, it'll happen quick enough.

Hi, I'm Angela joining you from Yorkshire.

Congratulations on your getting your sleeve and for being lucky enough to find this site. As coops says, there are quite a few of us here in the UK.

You'll get loads of advice and support from our fellow sleeve brothers and sisters. I've found so much information here that is hard to come accross in the UK.

I was sleeved on 1st February and I was lucky enough to have my op done on the NHS at my local hospital which is only a 5 minute drive away. Since the op I'd lost 23lbs up to last Friday. I'm going to stick to weighing once a week as I don't want to be hopping on and off the scale and getting frustrated when things slow down and when I hit the inevitable stall.

What is your post op eating plan like ? There seems to be a lot of difference between surgeons and what their requirements are. I was on liquids for 2 weeks, then soft foods. I'm now able to have just about anything, in small amounts of course, so I'm doing a lot of experimenting right now.

I'm a relative novice, but if I can offer any help I will so don't hesitate to get in touch.

Good luck and keep in touch

Angela x

Hi,

I'm an expat too.

Congratulations on your surgery!

Always lurking around here somewhere, feel free to ask anything you like.

Downward road now!!biggrin.gif

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all of your replies.

Well its been a couple of days and the pain has almost gone. Im having the clips out tomorrow and hoepfully i will feel even better.

I was a bit ambitious yesterday and went for a 10K cycle around local villages. I throughly enjoyed it , although I do think i over did a bit. but hey ho!

Started back at work today which went fine. (office based generally so not really physcial!)

Im definitely feeling the sleeve when I try and eat or drink.

Im currently eating milky ready brek (in a babies bowl) in the morning and a cup a Soup for lunch and then a further bowl of ready brek for tea (Rock and roll lifestyle or what!!)

In between im having a a lot of Water. Have got a soya Protein shake starting tomorrow so will see how that pans out.

Gym tomorrow night for a cycle and power walk.

Ive not got on the scales yet (tempting as it is) will wait another week but defintely feel like clothes are fitting much better.

Anyway, Thanks again. Its great to feel the support and hoepfully the downward trend has now started and long may it continue.

Speak soon

Rob

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all of your replies.

Well its been a couple of days and the pain has almost gone. Im having the clips out tomorrow and hoepfully i will feel even better.

I was a bit ambitious yesterday and went for a 10K cycle around local villages. I throughly enjoyed it , although I do think i over did a bit. but hey ho!

Started back at work today which went fine. (office based generally so not really physcial!)

Im definitely feeling the sleeve when I try and eat or drink.

Im currently eating milky ready brek (in a babies bowl) in the morning and a cup a Soup for lunch and then a further bowl of ready brek for tea (Rock and roll lifestyle or what!!)

In between im having a a lot of Water. Have got a soya Protein shake starting tomorrow so will see how that pans out.

Gym tomorrow night for a cycle and power walk.

Ive not got on the scales yet (tempting as it is) will wait another week but defintely feel like clothes are fitting much better.

Anyway, Thanks again. Its great to feel the support and hoepfully the downward trend has now started and long may it continue.

Speak soon

Rob

I feel so lucky to have so many options here for Protein supplements- maybe even too many choices! I am wondering what is it like in the UK? Do you have nutrition stores with all kinds of Protein shakes?