Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't I just Move on?

I mentioned this in my other post, but what I'm most of afraid of is this.....following surgery, how many different medications are you on as a result of the surgery? I've seen posts regarding blood pressure, acid reflux, etc. I just want to have the surgery, fell full, make better food choices and move on. I don't want to be in a fragile medical state worrying about leaks, infections etc. If you are on meds because of the surgery, what are the, why are you taking them and for how long? I just want to move on with my life.

Thanks!

Sooooo afraid.

The only meds I was on as a result of surgery were pain meds the first few days and Nexium for reflux and to help the stomach heal. MORE importantly I am NO LONGER on the 5 blood pressure meds nor the blood sugar medicine I was on before surgery. I no longer need motrin or muscle relaxers for daily back pain.

I have heard that some people have reactions to anesthesia and temporarily needing blood pressure medicine, but that is rare. Some people have reflux after surgery, I think that is a small price to pay for over all health.

For me this surgery has been strengthening and healing to my body as whole.

I mentioned this in my other post, but what I'm most of afraid of is this.....following surgery, how many different medications are you on as a result of the surgery? I've seen posts regarding blood pressure, acid reflux, etc. I just want to have the surgery, fell full, make better food choices and move on. I don't want to be in a fragile medical state worrying about leaks, infections etc. If you are on meds because of the surgery, what are the, why are you taking them and for how long? I just want to move on with my life.

Thanks!

Sooooo afraid.

You will be in a fragile state for a while, then it will get better as you heal. You do have to take care, and will have to take one or more drugs a short time and a few Vitamins full time.

Drugs recommended after surgery are marked by an *

I am on a beta blocker for irregular heartbeat (same before surgery) This also helps my BP. My BP is going down, but I can't get off this med, but perhaps can lower the dose.

I'm am on a cholesterol drug, also on it before. I will hopefully get off of this after tests to be done at three months.

I am on a drug to help me from getting *gall stones for 6 months after surgery.

I am taking D3 and *B12 (which can be low from the surgery) I am a vegetarian, and was low before surgery as well.

I am taking *Calcium Citraite which you need to take because of the surgery.

I took *blood thinners for 7 days after surgery.

I am taking *vitamins, recommended after surgery.

I take a *PPI daily for three months before and at least 6 months after surgery to help protect the staple line from ulcers.

I take 1200 mg of calcium citrate, 1 Centrum Vitamin, 1 sublingual B-12, and a Prevacid (the Prevacid only for six months post-op if I don't have any problems with reflux). I was taking more pills before surgery. The Vitamins are for the prevention of deficiencies since we eat so little after surgery. I think a few pills versus life-long obesity is a pretty good trade-off.

Also, I don't consider myself to be in a fragile medical state. I'm healthy as a horse (and weigh as much as a pony)!

Thanks!

Sooooo afraid.

Don't be afraid of the medications after surgery. Most will only be temporary. After surgery, of course there is the the pain medications for a week or how ever long you made need them. I did blood thinner shots for 14 days to prevent blood clots. I took liquid nexium to prevent acid reflux. I have switched to Prilosec OTC after 2 months-my doctor recommends for 6 months after surgery. And I take 2 multi Vitamins and Calcium caltrate daily and B12 weekly. I do still take a cholestral medication which I will have labs drawn next month and hopefully will be able to stop. I have already stopped my diabetis medication. That only is the best reason for me having this surgery. If I have to continue with a Vitamin and such for the rest of my life-so be it. I would do this all over again.

Also, I don't consider myself to be in a fragile medical state. I'm healthy as a horse (and weigh as much as a pony)!

The first 6 weeks most surgeons order us not to lift anything over 10 lbs, and such.... You need to walk and make sure you don't dehydrate. Not doing these things can land you back in the hospital. Of course you are fragile for a while after surgery...

thats just normal to be cautious for a short while until complete recovery. At 6 weeks I feel great and ready to really engage with all that life hands me.

After surgery I had the pain meds, chewable Gas pills to help relieve gas after surgery, Stool softners- to help soften and get things going without a struggle and I had the Bariatric Vitamins, I had Omeprozole (sp?) For stomache....

You really are not on anything too long, so dont worry, Besides the Vitamins... So its not as bad as it may seem.. Again this really seems to vary from person to person and each Surgeon is different.. I was in the hospital 4 days, I got shots while I was there but didnt need to them to come home with.. So guess it will depend what your surgeon typically does.

I'm just under a month out and I'm on nothing other than a multi Vitamin. My hospital didn't pander me with painkillers either: by day two they just packed me off with some paracetamol if the pain got bad, which I rarely used. All I'm concentrating on is eating right and drinking enough Water.

Granted, I wasn't on any meds pre-surgery and in generally good health, but it's not all doom and gloom and worry post-surgery. Ignore the what ifs!