Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A week post-op and I can eat a lot...

I am a week (and one day now) post-op, and I have felt concerned from the beginning, because I am not feeling limitation. I talked to my nutritionist and she said that it was probably just because I was on liquids and things would be different when I went to normal food. Well, I'm on mushies now, and I had things like cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, and hummus yesterday, and I could eat all of them with no issue. I can eat a cup at a time with no issue. I am taking my time and eating slowly, but I don't feel like I am getting that 'full' feeling, and I am definitely experiencing hunger. I am so scared that I went through all of this for no reason and that I am going to still end up overweight. Has anyone else had an experience like this? Did you start feeling fuller when you were eating 'real solids'? I am just concerned that since I am supposed to chew everything so much, it will be just as mushy when it gets to my stomach as cottage cheese or scrambled eggs...

Do you think it is possible that the surgeon didn't cut away as much of your stomach as is normally cut away? Idk... just a possibility I guess. It seems after reading all these posts and everyone is experiences the same things, yours is quite different. Maybe get a look at the stomach from a different surgeon?

wow you are already on mushies at one week post op. I am also one week post op and still on my Clear Liquids going to move to full liquids tomorrow.

I too do not feel that "full" feeling. But if I remember from past posts it is due to the nerves that were cut from the stomach and they will take time to heal. Later you will have to recognise what your full feeling is ie nausea, hicups, running nose, sneezing and so on are some of other peoples feelings. I would still stay at the recommended amounts of food even though you do not feel "full" to protect your staple line.

Also, are you on a PPI (nexium or prilosec)? The hunger could be excess acid that is making your stomach roll and you are thinking it is hunger.

Hope all of this helps.

I'm sure you are following your surgeon's diet, but I recommend to anyone following their surgeon's guidelines to a "T". I know my NUT said to me "even if your sleeve can hold 4oz doesn't mean that you should be eating 4oz" (at least not this early out.)

I think it does take a while for your stomach to know what that feeling of "full" is, you are so early, that I'm sure your body is still in recovery mode, and I would really caution that you don't push the limits of what you can possibly eat. My NUT also explained that the normal feeling of "full" that we had pre-surgery was usually the feeling of "overfull." On a scale from 0-10 with 0 being your body running on complete empty that you would experience lightheadness, exhaustion, etc (physical hunger) vs. a 10 the feeling that you might hurl if you take one more bite, that always always always you want to be full at about a 5 maybe a 6 but not more than that. So make sure you are working on redefining what YOUR body recognizes as "full." Do not eat to overeat. (I hope that makes sense.)

As far as feeling hungry, if you truly are feeling hunger, then I would talk to your dr. and see what he/she recommends, as there are PPI's, etc. (from what I understand I don't take them personally) that can help with the hunger feeling.

I am a week (and one day now) post-op, and I have felt concerned from the beginning, because I am not feeling limitation. I talked to my nutritionist and she said that it was probably just because I was on liquids and things would be different when I went to normal food. Well, I'm on mushies now, and I had things like cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, and hummus yesterday, and I could eat all of them with no issue. I can eat a cup at a time with no issue. I am taking my time and eating slowly, but I don't feel like I am getting that 'full' feeling, and I am definitely experiencing hunger. I am so scared that I went through all of this for no reason and that I am going to still end up overweight. Has anyone else had an experience like this? Did you start feeling fuller when you were eating 'real solids'? I am just concerned that since I am supposed to chew everything so much, it will be just as mushy when it gets to my stomach as cottage cheese or scrambled eggs...

I'm a week and 2 days and I feel the same way. Fluids are no problem I can drink just like I ever could. I have no pain. I am on full liquid and measuring my food. I eat it all and feel like I could eat more but don't. I have not felt the sense of being full either. I saw the barium test so I know I have a little stomach and I'm only 5'2 so it's not that it's long. I don't know I am just waiting on real food to see the difference. It's got to be there. Just measure your food and only eat what you should until you get to the foods that show you restriction is all I can suggest. That's what I'm doing.

Do you think it is possible that the surgeon didn't cut away as much of your stomach as is normally cut away? Idk... just a possibility I guess. It seems after reading all these posts and everyone is experiences the same things, yours is quite different. Maybe get a look at the stomach from a different surgeon?

I tend to agree with jerri, what size bougie did your surgeon use? Mine used a 28/32F and at 14 months out I still have lots of restriction. I can eat a whole tuna sandwich for example but it takes me almost 30 minutes. . . or I'm really really full on 6oz of greek yogurt mixed with Protein powder. . .for my dinners I can get down 1 small chicken leg, 1 tbspn of rice and 1 tblspn of eggplant but i rarely can finish all of that . . . I'm wondering if your surgeon didn't leave you with a really large bougie. . . ask on your next visit. . . I understand some doc's do a 40F and larger. . .

My surgeon doesn't use a bougie, she uses the endoscope as the bougie so that they can view the inside of the stomach while they are doing the surgery. My stomach is very small, she told me only about 250cc. I saw my barium swallow and it is small and tight. I know she removed a lot. She was actually very concerned I wasn't going to be able to even keep fluids down, so I am feeling very confused about all this. I am following all the rules they have given me, my surgeon gives out a spiral bound book with the diet progression, allowed foods on each day, and all the other information that I need, and I refer to it like a bible. I definitely am not feeling hunger the same way I used to, but I'm also not feeling full either. It's very odd. I am super stressed out about it. I just don't feel like I should be able to get 800 calories down a week past surgery. I am super freaked out. I have emailed my nutritionist, and she says to eat when I'm hungry but it is just all so confusing right now...

I have seen this happen before from other people and it seems that u will feel the most restriction when you r on solids.. don't be scared u didn't do this for nothing.. you are not eating dense things so I wouldn't worry

Just wait--I could drink and drink but until I was eating real Protein I never felt "full" either...don't still, as I don't eat until I'm stuffed. I measure my portion and that's the meal. Sometimes I can eat it all and sometimes I can't, and some things make me feel "fuller" than others (scallops fill me up fast, turkey not so easily). You will figure it out and don't worry, you will lose.

I am just going to try to be really careful right now and measure everything. I got these great ramekins with lids at target that only hold 3 oz/6 tablespoons, which is the max I am allowed to eat in one sitting right now, so I am just going to eat out of them for a while. I am still totally freaked out because I FEEL hungry, and I never feel full, but I am definitely not hungry like I was before, or like I 'should' be when I am eating so little food. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this all works out. I really need this to work, and it is so distressing to think of having gone through all this and then potentially not losing the weight that I need to!

You say your doc said your tummy is 250cc. Well it makes sense that it could hold a cupful at a time. A cup is 240 cc. Just maybe you don't have a lot of swelling like a lot of others do at the beginning from the surgery. I'm not an expert but it makes sense to me.

Wow! You should be on Clear Liquids at this phase. You are at risk for a leak up until 2 weeks post op. The reason for the liquids is that your stomach doesn't have to constrict to digest them. Just my opinion...but your doctor is giving you BAD advice.

My surgeon doesn't use a bougie, she uses the endoscope as the bougie so that they can view the inside of the stomach while they are doing the surgery. My stomach is very small, she told me only about 250cc. I saw my barium swallow and it is small and tight. I know she removed a lot. She was actually very concerned I wasn't going to be able to even keep fluids down, so I am feeling very confused about all this. I am following all the rules they have given me, my surgeon gives out a spiral bound book with the diet progression, allowed foods on each day, and all the other information that I need, and I refer to it like a bible. I definitely am not feeling hunger the same way I used to, but I'm also not feeling full either. It's very odd. I am super stressed out about it. I just don't feel like I should be able to get 800 calories down a week past surgery. I am super freaked out. I have emailed my nutritionist, and she says to eat when I'm hungry but it is just all so confusing right now...

[/quoteEvRev - I'm glad I'm wrong about the size and it sounds like you have a very good relationship with your NUT nad surgeon. I'm sure it takes time to get to "know the feelings". Who was your surgeon and what area of the country are you in? I ask because my surgeon is a female as well and she puts us on regular food after the first week.]

[/quoteEvRev - I'm glad I'm wrong about the size and it sounds like you have a very good relationship with your NUT nad surgeon. I'm sure it takes time to get to "know the feelings". Who was your surgeon and what area of the country are you in? I ask because my surgeon is a female as well and she puts us on regular food after the first week.]

Yes, I actually work for the university hospital system that did my sleeve. I am a researcher there, and these people are my colleagues, and so we have very good communication. I was sleeved by Dr. Srinivasan at Emory University Hospital at Midtown, and yes, she is female. They are very good at Emory, and are considered a center of excellence by many insurance companies. They give us a comprehensive spiral-bound book itemizing exactly what we are and are not to eat as we progress through the days after surgery. I am following it exactly, and have not had any problems, outside of the fact that I am not feeling restriction. I know that my pouch (being 250cc) is larger than the amount I am eating, but I guess I am still surprised that I am not feeling any restriction! I appreciate everything you all have shared, particularly the people who explained that certain foods affect you differently even though you are eating the same quantity. I am just going to take it day by day right now, and frantically email my nutritionist like a crazy person when I get worried something is not right (which is what I've been doing so far... LOL) She generally tells me I am doing exactly what I am supposed to and not to stress out LOL.

I did not fully read all the replies so if this is a repeat, please accept my apologies.

Your stomach has been severed, stapled off, possibly sutured over itself or glued just 8 days ago. Along with all that trauma, your stomach nerves have been severed, cut, damaged, traumatized and if you aren't feeling restriction, it's a combination of 1) the consistency of the foods you are consuming 2) the fact that physically your body just can not/does not "feel" anything right now.

I always use the logic of "just because I can; doesn't mean I should". I apply this thought-process to this very day at 21 months out. I rarely eat until being full or stuffed. That's what got me fat so I figure I don't need to repeat those behaviors. It took months for a full signal to become apparent for me, and measuring portions is what ensured that I stayed within my dietary guidelines for calorie, Protein and carb intake.

Liquids also go in, and pretty much immediately dump into the intestine since we have an intact pyloric valve. It sounds as if you have little to zero residual swelling, and that can also explain the lack of restriction. Remember, we do not have a pouch. We have smaller yet fully-functioning stomach so things are not going to hang out in our stomachs like foods/liquids do in pouches.