Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-Op Hunger...  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Since having my VSG surgery, I find that I am...

Wanted to take a poll to see how our "Hunger" has changed AFTER surgery. Thanks for participating!! :D

Physical hunger, unless it changes after surgery, is completely gone for me. Now head hunger on the other hand.... It's a decent on going battle :(

I don't have physical hunger ever...just head hunger or more like cravings, especially during TOM :(...but that didn't return either until 3 or 4 months post op.

It's soooo funny because I will catch myself saying I'm hungry and then I will say, um no I'm not, it's just a habit LOL.

22 months out, physical hunger is NULL and VOID completely. I can go (and I'm talking running around town, errands, volunteering, delivering jewelry, etc etc etc, shopping LOL) about 16 hours before I realize "Oh crap, I have not eaten today." I get a bit moody, cranky, irritable around the 10-12 hour mark, but I typically don't realize it until someone else points it out.

I battled most of my head hunger with the band so I have a fairly decent grasp on that as well. I'm a "bored" eater so I have to keep my mind and hands occupied and I can completely avoid snacking.

It depends. Some days none but other days if I don't eat for 6 or 7 hours I get hungry. Of course I fill up on very little. Nothing like before surgery. I also sometimes get head hunger but its a lot easier to manage now.

So far head hunger. When I fight with my sister I get so annoyed I feel hungry, then I realize how stupid I am, drink a tea and I am fine.

yeah, I'm with everyone else -- no hunger, don't care about it until I realize I haven't eaten in hours . . . or my family gets annoyed with me because I haven't fed them :lol:

Now I get thirsty quite a bit -- so I feel like I need to drink a lot, but that's normal I suspect.

I voted "somewhat hungry," but honestly, the actual hunger sensation is rare... I still get it once in awhile, but at about 1/4 of the intensity that it was before (from what I remember anyway... I ate so constantly that I rarely got TRUE hunger back then either!). For me, "hunger" is more of a feeling that Hey, I'm empty... Would'ja mind giving me something run on??

The head hunger though, oh boy. That is another animal entirely. :unsure:

I don't know if its actual hunger that I get, but my stomach starts to feel upset if its been 4-6 hours or so and I haven't ate anything. My stomach does not growl in hunger anymore and Ii don't feel that hunger pain I used to get that made me say "Oh, I'm so hungry!"

I actually wish real hunger would come back instead of this stomach ache because it usually persists even after I eat something, and I have to take tums.

I occasionally feel hunger, but more often I just feel empty, like I need to eat. More often I crave food if I smell something really yummy or am in a situation that used to trigger eating.

I occasionally feel hunger, but more often I just feel empty, like I need to eat. More often I crave food if I smell something really yummy or am in a situation that used to trigger eating.

Is physical hunger with the sleeve the same as pre-surgery (I've probably asked before, just can't remember)?

I'm never hungry. And the thought of eating food is gross, but I need food to support my workout habit.

No hunger here but I know that I need to eat so that I can keep my body going and don't throw it in starvation mode. Head hunger is something different but I am working on that.