Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The doctor approves!

I was desperate last fall and having all kinds of health issues. I quite suddenly decided to not even try to get insurance approved surgery but go ahead and move forward with the self pay option. Consequently I did not include my family doctor in my decision.

I decided that it was finally time to go back to him - I was due for some blood tests anyway. I was nervous as I had never discussed WLS with him before. To put it bluntly he said that I "made his day!" He was so impressed and happy for me that I had finally done something serious about my weight. He said that had I asked him he would of suggested it and even go as far as suggest the VSG over a bypass type surgery. He said that he was happy and that after a tough day of listening to everyone's complaints he was so pleased to hear someone's good news. He was even impressed that I went self pay and could tell it was because of my determination to get things done FAST! He wished me luck and suggested some additional blood tests and wanted to see me in 3 months.

I was worried he would be upset or criticize me. He was happy and so was I!

Sounds like he is a good guy who has your health as his priority rather than his ego. Oh, and good job on the pants from your other post!

Hot diggity dang Rootman, those pounds are FLYING off of you! Unbelievable! Sounds like you have a great doctor. I never told my GP prior to having VSG (I belong to an *** and only see my dr. once in a blue moon anyway) and hope the next time I see her she is as positive as your dr. has been!

That's so awesome!

My Dr had referred me to a program (where WLS is a likelihood) but since then I've decided to do self-pay. I'm nervous about telling her I'm doing this.... eep!

Over the years, I had asked my dr. about WLS and he would always say to try XYZ, and I would and lose some but then gain it back. So when I finally decided NO MORE, I actually didn't tell him. But then I needed a letter from him. I sucked it up, made an appt (this was last June) and lo and behold, he was extremely supportive. Who knew? I think it was because it was *my* idea and not him saying, 'go do this!' He was happy to write the letter of medical necessity that my insurance required.

I just saw him last week for my blood work and he was very happy that things were going well, told me I looked great, etc. It's nice to hear that there ARE indeed supportive PCPs out there!