Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drain incision with Dr. Aceves

Please post your experience with the drain incision with Dr. Aceves. Some patients say they got a couple stitches and others say it is left open to close on it's own.

Just curious what your experience was...THANKS!!!biggrin.gif

Please post your experience with the drain incision with Dr. Aceves. Some patients say they got a couple stitches and others say it is left open to close on it's own.

Just curious what your experience was...THANKS!!!biggrin.gif

Mine was left open to close on it's on and I just had my surgery with Dr Aceves on 1/06/2011.

Priscilla

Thanks for the replies!!

I just remember reading a story by "KRIS" on Janurary 10th about her surgery with Dr. Aceves and it was long and detailed ( I just love those) and she mentioned that one of the nurses took the drain out and put a couple of stitches in to seal the drain port and that it hurt and they gave her a sublingual pain pill. That just stuck out in my mind. I didn't even think nurses (i'm a nurse, too) could 'stitch' anyone.blink.gif

Anyway, I guess it doesn't matter, just curious about how long till it closes, and if there might be stitches to be removed later.

Thanks again!

Left open for me. I just had a bandage over it, that's all.

Thanks for the replies!!

I just remember reading a story by "KRIS" on Janurary 10th about her surgery with Dr. Aceves and it was long and detailed ( I just love those) and she mentioned that one of the nurses took the drain out and put a couple of stitches in to seal the drain port and that it hurt and they gave her a sublingual pain pill. That just stuck out in my mind. I didn't even think nurses (i'm a nurse, too) could 'stitch' anyone.blink.gif

Anyway, I guess it doesn't matter, just curious about how long till it closes, and if there might be stitches to be removed later.

Thanks again!

Ididn't get to read the posting from Kris. However, no, you don't receive stitches after the drain is removed. I think she probably meant to say that the stitches holding the drain in were removed. This wound is allowed to heal "from the inside out". I just placed a loose gauze bandage over it for the few days that it drained. It has been awhile but if I remember correctly, my incision healed over completely in just over a week.

Good luck and you will love your sleeve. You will also love your experience with Dr. Aceves. He and his facility are what I now compare hospitals with here in the states. Sadly, the physicians and hospitals here in the states fall far short from my expectations and experience with Dr. Aceves and his crew.

My doctor told me that stitching is closed actually increases your chance of infection in the area and that they would closes on its own. I was amazed that in a couple days that it closed and scabbed over.

Me too, I had Dr. Aceves and he left mine open. I had surgery on 1-21-11 and its completely closed and actually shrinking! I've been putting Mederma on it religiously to help it fade better.

P.S. Dr. Aceves is awesome! I had absolutely no pain with any part of my surgery and even though I'm tattooed, I'm a big wimp with needles, stitches, surgery, etc. !!! hahaha :lol:

I have a pic of my drain and drain incision done by Aceves in my blog. The bag around therein is only attached by a wax based adhesive wafer. The actual drain is not attached to anything.

I just had my sleeve this past week with Dr Aceves and my drain was held in place with one stitch that was removed when the drain was removed. The site is left open to heal from the inside out. I have sterile gauze over it that I change every day. He said it should take up to 15 days to heal over. Those that heal fast will probably see it close quicker.