Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Changed Surgeon's??

Well you make think I'm crazy...but after getting approved by UHC this morning, I still had an uneasy feeling about the doc's office. I started doing some more research and have changed surgeon's. I am now having the procedure done with Dr. Nick in Plano.

This surgery is HUGE and I need to feel comfortable in every aspect. With the doctor, as well as, the staff. It felt very cattle-istic! I felt like I was just another patient #00000...if you know what I mean? :(

Anyway, I start my 2 wk diet Monday!! Surgery is scheduled for March 14th, as long as there's no hic-ups through insurance. :D

Did you see Dr. Nick on Channel 5 this evening on the 5pm new? He was talking about lap band and they were at the Forest Park Medical Center which is were i'm having my surgery on Monday.

I'm with Dr. Barnes. He is also with Baylor but he has an office in Fort Worth and at Medical City Dallas.

I talked to someone who had gone to Barker and said the same thing about the cattle call.... etc. I enjoyed the fact that my Dr. and his surgical nurse spent a good hour with me and his staff was very nice.

Will you have your surgery at Baylor Plano?

I only had to do a one week liquid and i'm on day 5. Sunday will be forever know as Laxative Sunday tongue.gif

Good luck and keep in touch!

Kim

Did you see Dr. Nick on Channel 5 this evening on the 5pm new? He was talking about lap band and they were at the Forest Park Medical Center which is were i'm having my surgery on Monday.

I'm with Dr. Barnes. He is also with Baylor but he has an office in Fort Worth and at Medical City Dallas.

I talked to someone who had gone to Barker and said the same thing about the cattle call.... etc. I enjoyed the fact that my Dr. and his surgical nurse spent a good hour with me and his staff was very nice.

Will you have your surgery at Baylor Plano?

I only had to do a one week liquid and i'm on day 5. Sunday will be forever know as Laxative Sunday tongue.gif

Good luck and keep in touch!

Kim

Hi Kim!!

Thanks for your reply. I got your message and it's good to know someone so close to me! I didn't catch the news...bummer. :(

Yes ma'am...Baylor Plano it is.

Yes please do keep in touch. Sending prayers out for you...:)

Hey there!

I am also with Dr. Nick. I am a self pay, so I have a few more dollars to save before I have my surgery, but it is scheduled for May 10!

I had my consult back in January and I thought his office staff was great, although I can appreciate your feelings about the 'cattle' issue. I really enjoyed my talk with Brittany, his PA, and with Dr. Nick himself. He spent about 40 minutes just talking and answering all of my questions (and I brought a list). He is cocky and I think thats a good characteristic for a young surgeon. I even asked him "Are you sure you're old enough to be operating on people?". He laughed and said "Yes, ma'am"..which of course makes me feel old! (I turn 39 tomorrow)

I also really like the fact that he implicitly tells you that this surgery is a tool, and you can cheat it and if you work it like a tool that you can have success, and if you slack, you won't be successful.

The only time I felt 'cattle-esque" was with the gal who took my weight and blood pressure, she was way inside my bubble!

Just my thoughts...I wish you all the best with your surgery!

Karen

Sorry you went thru all that before deciding to change. Hopefully you can stay right on track with Dr Nick!! Best luck.

Thanks Karen! I am looking forward to meeting him on the 4th and seeing what else I need to do. I hope you are able to get your surgery soon as well.

Movetolose...thanks for your reply! Not much longer for you either.:D

Go with your instincts! I had a bad feeling about my Dr in 2003 but was unable to change surgeons (No one wanted to touch anything he had done) I ended up with a pulmonary embolism and a horrible scar. I had to have 8 days in the hospital, almost died, and have another surgeon fix his work.

Hi Everbody, What is going on with the cattle call? I am a self pay and traveling from missour to have vsg on 3/16, Dr Baker is my dr. plez help me

Don't feel bad. My best friend had the surgery in December, and the whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm having Dr. Umbach in Las Vegas, because the larger group in town really did make me feel like I was in a heifer lineup. I found a wonderful doctor who answered all my questions and makes me totally feel at ease.

I am glad you are going with your instincts and switching surgeons. They work for you, not vice versa. My first surgeon with the lapband was a total dick after surgery. I had to have lysis of adhesions about 9 months after the lapband was placed. Went back in for the recheck a week later and the azz didn't even remember what he had done for me. He was the typical "band mill" type. Then, a few months later, the same thing was happening. I went to him and saw one of his partners who said "you should be happy you've lost 85 lbs". Heck yes I had..... Unable to get anything to go down, vomiting, etc. Was getting IV fluids about every other day for weeks on end.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I finally wised up and went to another surgeon who basically saved my life. Just don't take any crap from your surgeon or his staff. Also, remember, you know your body best. If you go to a physician with a problem and they don't listen, find another. YOU must be your own advocate. Stand up for what is right and ALWAYS follow your gut instinct.

I am proud of you that you did switch surgeons!!!! Good luck and best wishes on your upcoming surgery. You will love your sleeve. The sleeve rocks!!!

Good for you! It is very important to listen to your inner voice. I too felt like a cattle number too in my surgeon's office. If he had not been so personable I would have changed doctors too. I would NOT recommend the practice to new people because of the lack of personal attention. I am going to see if my pcp will do my blood draws for Vitamin checks in the future since I have been going to him for 20 years he knows me better than the guy who pulled my insides out.

Thanks you guys! I feel a lot better about my decision having had time to think it over this weekend. I appreciate all your replies and words of encouragement. :) This forum rocks!!