Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where are the 50s ???

Rena's Ragdolls,

Love the photo of the kittens, my parents boat was name Ragdoll, though for the toy not the kittens...but hey, it works for me, I love both. Yes I am lucky, but then again we all make our own luck. I am a retired GI so getting this surgery approved was probably easier for me than most. All I needed was a Primary Care Physician to refer me to the Barriatric clinic. And since I had Kidney Cancer last year (lovely Valentines day present), not only did my Primary Care Physician but my Urologist both refered me. It has taken me since 1994 when I retired from active duty to truly understand that I couldn't lose the weight just through diet and exercise. I too have sleep apnea, and among my other medical conditions, high blood pressure. Though the joint issues have been annoying, I am very lucky that none have progressed beyond the problematic stage. I am hopeful that this surgery will have positive side effects for all of the negative health conditions (though I don't think I'll be able to replace the lost kidney). You sound as if you've not taken as long to come around to this decision as I did, even though we are both doing it at the same chronological age...Good Luck and I hope you get approval soonest.

Yes, it would be difficult to replace that lost kidney, thank goodness we come with two! I spent some time in the military, leaving it after only 12 years in 1995. I could kick myself for not staying 8 more years to get a retirement, but hey, hindsight is 20 20. My brother retired from the Navy, and his wife was able to get a bypass with very little waiting last month. I'm green with envy! Well.... not really, I'd rather have the sleeve than the bypass!

Not sure how I overlooked this thread for so long! I'm 53 and was sleeved on 2/28/13. Just had my 3&1/2 month post-op visit today. Down 57 lbs! Yeah! I also had a lot of knee and back problems which is primarily why I decided on the surgery. Almost got the lap-band last year but chickened out at nearly the last minute. I'm so glad I waited a bit longer and got the sleeve surgery instead. It isn't always easy, especially in the beginning but it has been worth it.

pre-surgery weight 325; surgery date 2/28/2013; surgery weight 307; 8 weeks past-op weight 281.4; 12 weeks post-op 274

Hi fellow 50s!

I've posted here, but it's been awhile. I'm 56 and have been at goal weight for 14 months (BMI 21.8). I was sleeved two years ago. Pre-op, I took three BP meds and a cholesterol med. At first, my BP dropped so much I was getting light-headed and I got to go off all meds. As time went by, my BP crept back up and I am back on two BP meds but at least they are lower doses and I haven't had to go back the the third BP med or the cholesterol med.

Lynda

I've posted here, but it's been awhile. I'm 56 and have been at goal weight for 14 months (BMI 21.8). I was sleeved two years ago.

Very nice job Lynda! I can't wait until I can be where you are!

Very nice job Lynda! I can't wait until I can be where you are!

Thanks! I'm saving a spot for you on the goalies bench!

Lynda

I am 53, will be 54 on July 30th - my surgery date - will be doing this in Mexico - insurance expressly disallows anything to do with weight loss - am really excited would be happy to lose all of my weight - we'll see how it goes

I am 51 and I was sleeved on April 4' date=' 2013, I lost 30 lbs post op and 40 since surgery!! Woot woot !! 70 lbs gone forever!![/quote']

awesome job!!!

pre-surgery weight 325; surgery date 2/28/2013; surgery weight 307; 8 weeks past-op weight 281.4; 12 weeks post-op 274

I am 53' date=' will be 54 on July 30th - my surgery date - will be doing this in Mexico - insurance expressly disallows anything to do with weight loss - am really excited would be happy to lose all of my weight - we'll see how it goes[/quote']

All the best to you! I'm sure it will go smoothly for you. I've read many posts from people on the forum who had their surgery in Mexico. It takes courage no matter where you have your surgery but I feel, other than marrying my husband, it's the best decision I've ever made.

Happy birthday!

Hey 50s! I just turned 60 yesterday! Hope all is well... Im still alive and kicking.

Happy Birthday! !

Where are the 50's??? -- all I see is a topic about wrinkles! How has the surgery changed your life?

Where are the 50's??? -- all I see is a topic about wrinkles! How has the surgery changed your life?

Well I haven't been on here in awhile so thought I'd do some updating...Over 2 1/2 yrs since my VSG and it has been the perfect tool for me, a reminder not to overeat plus choose healthier eating. I've kept my weight to 160 but have dropped 2 sizes. I was perfectly happy with wearing 12s but all of a sudden 10s & some 8s fit great. I'm 58 and looking forward to my 40th class reunion this summer 'cuz I look 'n feel great!

Luanne thanks for the update, it is so nice to hear from people so far out from their surgery. I find it interesting that your weight is he same but you have dropped 2 sizes. I am in an enormous stall in terms of weight loss at the moment but shape is changing and when I get down my husband says what do you want to be Xlbs it Y size? I guess at times I want it all. I suppose because I weigh often I seem to refer to the scales and maybe that is not he right choice.

Again thanks for the update.