Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where are the 50s ???

jillb5, I know what you mean about not sure if you have gone through it or not. The question docs usually ask is, when was your last period and if it has been a year or more, you are through with menopause. Some women think once you start menopause you are never through with it but that is not so. Menopause is literally, the pausing (end) of menses. Once no period for a year, you're done. Good and bad news, because after menopause, no more hormones, so now your body has to change in ways you are not used to, but those tales are for another time.

I had a partial hysterectomy in 2007 due to massive blood loss (fibroids). I kept my ovaries which meant I still had to go through menopause, but without the monthly curse, I had no way of knowing if I had finished with menopause or not. Just not bleeding to death each month was the greatest thing ever. It was weird that I also stopped experiencing the other usual symptoms, as well, such as, breast tenderness, irratability, food cravings, etc. Small blessings.

Yup, your metabolism is supposed to go down in menopause, but instead of no carbs, choose good carbs and no refined anything (sugar, flour, rice).

Thank you so much, this information is so helpful.

Hi everyone! I'm 56 and 6 months out with 83 # weight loss ... Feeling great But COLD!!! And I live in Southern CA where it never goes below 50!! Last night it's 63 and I have the heat on 80 and my fingers and toes are frozen!! I am unfortably cold at work sometimes and wear sweaters and thick socks...I don't like this. Any suggestions? I eat only warm food and room temp fluids, too.

HI kshepa....I was cold at first too, but then it eventually went away so hope yours will too. 83 lbs in 6 months is really a fast weight loss and my guess is that your body is just trying to adjust to all the changes. Once you level out I think you'll be just fine. Until then, wear layers....

Good morning 50's friends...I guess without our fat layer, we are feeling the cold much easier. I have had to bring a sweater to work and I also live in southern California, and this is a new feeling for me, but I am dealing with it, many more days with socks and real shoes instead of my sandals!!

Oh and by the way, my hair loss finally stopped. I am 7 months out from surgery in April 2012.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving....a bite of this and a bite of that will be a shared experience for this group ;)

Happy Tuesday my Fabulous Fifties Friends ! Monsooning rain has stopped here & the sun is poking through so I think I shall take myself for a walk outside instead of on the treadmill :) Hope everyone has a wonderful day !

Yeah, I think you are all right about my being so cold. My body is still adjusting to the weight loss. So, it's sweaters and warm socks for me!! Hot cups of Soup and tea to keep my hands warm, too. If my Mom wasn't staying with me, I'd turn the furnace on, but goes and shuts it off!! I do think it time for some labs, too. Iron defiency can cause coldness too, I have been told.

funny thing about being cold: Before my surgery, I was always hot...only used a sheet at night; never wore a coat, if anything it was a vest; seemed like I would never cool down. Then I went to the WLS seminar and was told that along with hair loss, my body temperature would fluctuate... I could become "cold".... Unlike the Hair loss, that stops, body temperature does not usually change back.... Well, you can imagine, as I sat there fanning myself with the seminar paperwork, how excited I was for that "side effect"....

Well, here I sit, 6+ months post-op, 72 pounds lighter, thinning hair and still "fanning" myself because I continue to be hot all the time....

I so wanted to be one of those people that had to, "put on more layers of clothing".... easier to put ON rather than take OFF clothing... and much much better on the eyes! :)

you all have a great Thanksgiving tomorrow ... stay warm (the layered look is in), make new memories and cherish the time with your families !

@ tjmom....I too am still HOT all the time!!! When signing the consent paperwork and the surgeon was going over all the risks and possible side effects....well I asked him if he could guarantee the being cold all the time? He said no but that most patients do suffer from cold intolerance after losing weight.....well I am down 88# and still HOT natured!!!

Progress Report: Sleeved May 2012, Down 75 lbs. 15 to goal. Age 57

I don't notice being cold as much now as I did about a month or so ago. I think your body needs to catch up and generally thin people tend to be cold, at least in my office experience. It seems more in balance now and I can usually compensate by making sure I have a standard sweater or jacket that I can throw on at work. I still get hot at times and so there is this off/on process with my jacket or sweater.

hair loss has gone to about nothing so thankfully that is over. My hairdresser says I have short hairs growing in so I think I am past that period. Same with the indelicate subject of ummmmm, oh let's call it "lack of fiber" and "plumbing issues". Eating more veggies, taking Fiber gummies and making sure I drink lots of fluids has helped in that department.

Really, 6-1/2 months out, I feel pretty normal. I never have nausea, I seem to be eating the right speed, chewing the right amount, without even really thinking about it. I eat most foods, don't have any that give me issues....that being said, I have not tried white rice and soft bread, both of which I have heard can cause issues but both of which I plan to avoid because I am aware that processed carbs and white carbs are not good for me.

One area I need to work on is exercise. I don't have a lot of muscle and at my age, it's important to build and maintain your muscles. I have been successful with my loss without exercise and I'm hoping to pick up some lifestyle activities to build some muscle without having to do it on a machine. My body could use some toning especially stomach, triceps and upper thighs. I am thinking tennis & kayaking in the spring/summer/fall and maybe some swimming at the Y for this winter.

I do feel that my face is feeling a little gaunt. Less facial fat to plump up those wrinkles but for 57, I don't feel too bad about that. I am so happy to feel like a "normal" person. I started gaining a lot of weight around mid 30's and for years have not felt like the "real me". Now I feel like "me" again. Besides marriage and children, this was the best decision of my life. My mother has type II diabetes, High BP, High Cholesterol and similar weight issues as I had. I saw myself following her path and took the plunge after having some slightly elevated fasting glucose levels and finding myself last winter at my highest weight ever. Health was the motivator but the part about refinding "me" was icing on the cake.

Hey Fifties, How is eveybody doing during this early part of Dec? I found I could tolerate being around the office goodies that have been appearing nonstop withough wanting anything... untill someone brought in Hershey's candy Cane Kisses..... my all time fave this time of year. Broke down and had a serving of them . Now I did it I am no longer wanting any more. Hope they don't make a reapperance tho !

I have the best boss! Each Christmas we have a meal paid for by our department. This year my boss told me they have planned everything in the meal around what I can eat, except for the Desserts. I told her that was no problem for me, as I really am not tempted by sweet stuff anymore. We have a very large department, so I felt that was very sweet of her to plan it around me. :D

Hi, I'm one week post op today. Feeling ok, actually getting in all my Clear Liquids and 2 Protein Shakes. This is my protocol till I see my surgeon on Dec 20. At that point, I move to pureed foods. I'm not feeling like walking though and he wants me to be able to walk a mile by then. I'm lazy. I do plan on starting an exercise program but haven't. I spend all day just getting in my liquids. Maybe I'm just making excuses? Just wanted to say hi.

Hi Mary, glad you are feeling OK and getting your liquids in. Do try to get an exercise routine started as it will help you in the long run. I joined a gym (never thought I would ever write that down), it is for women only and all ages, shapes and sizes go so I feel comfortable. I joined 2 months post op but before then I used to get the walking in by taking the dog out.

Today I had my dh set up the treadmill. I don't care if I have to walk at 1 mph, I'm going to do as much as I possibly can and increase by as much as possible each day. Maybe I'll get to that mile by next Thursday after all.