Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone ever feel like we took the "easy way" out?

I definitely consider myself a "success story" thus far. I am down about 115 pounds in 7 months. I look and feel better than I have in my entire adult life. I have no regrets and I know that having the VSG was the right decision for me at the right time in my life.

Here's the thing -- there are moments when I have guilt over taking the "easy way out" by having this surgery. Intellectually, I know that it was not really easy at all and I know that if I didn't do it I was headed for disaster in terms of my health, but there is some part of me that wonders if I could/should have done it the old fashioned way with diet and exercise (even though I know that was pretty unrealistic for me).

Again, I really have no regrets, but I am just wondering if any other sleevers out there have had these feelings. I guess my biggest concern is that feeling like I cheated or took the easy way out will cause me to sabotage my weight loss maintenance.

Thanks for any input you can provide.

Brian

My surgery is next week and that is what I am struggling with right now. I know its surgery and a major one at that, but this part of me keeps asking why I am taking this route instead of losing the weight on my own. I sometimes feel like I'm cheating but then I remind myself how many times I've tried and failed and the statistics of how many people that lose it without surgery and gain it back. *sigh* and of course it doesn't help that I know people who think I am taking the easy way out.

No more guilt or feelings of taking the easy way than when I get in my car to drive to Walmart. No more guilt when I use a hand truck to move a heavy piece of furniture, or when I pay/tip the baggers at the commissary for bagging and hauling my groceries to my vehicle.

I never considered this easy. I fought for every pound I lost. I had my own set of struggles, and while I lost fast, hard, and fairly "easily". Losing isn't the difficult part, keeping it off, changing our habits, and really thinking about what we put in our mouths every day is the hard part.

I tried the "old fashioned" way too many times to count, and I failed miserably each time. I realized that I needed assistance, a permanent tool to help me.

I do think that maintenance is pretty effortless as well because I have addressed my own set of food issues, and I know my triggers.

Self-awareness was and always will be my key to long-term success. I could easily gain weight at this point. I promise it's not difficult to gain a few pounds here and there. Becoming complacent is a dangerous and slippery slope. I know that I could suck down a 2000 calorie milkshake every day of my life without consequence except I'd get fat again. The big change for me is the "want" has pretty much diminished for junk options. I indulge, I drink, I have soda, I don't beat myself up over half a Snickers, but I also know that behavioral patterns, and continual "not so great" choices can undo all my hard work.

I view it a simultaneously the easiest AND the hardest way to go. Easy because I no longer get ravenously hungry and am physically limited to the amount of food I eat by the sleeve size. Hardest because I gave up a way of life that I loved - pigging out and enjoying food nearly every day.

My tastes are altered radically, some stuff I loved I can barely stand now. It is really a shock psychologically.

But like Tiff said, you're using one of the BEST tools to get the job done and it is a hell of a lot better than being on all kinds of medications and ending up on an electric scooter or losing a limb to diabetes.

I tried the "old fashioned" way too many times to count, and I failed miserably each time. I realized that I needed assistance, a permanent tool to help me.

Yep, wholeheartedly agree with Tiff. I've gained and lost the same 100 pounds that I have now almost currently lost 3 or 4 times. The thing is, is that I had no control over what my head was thinking about food -- for the first time, I feel in control of what I'm thinking about food -- I don't really care about it for the first time -- it's fuel, nothing more, nothing less.

Could I have done this the "old fashioned" way? Sure -- but I would have regained it -- and I wouldn't have lost it as fast -- and I wouldn't be as active as I am now --

Do we blame a person who needs glasses to see? No.

Do we blame a person who uses hearing aids to hear? No.

Do we blame a person who needs meds to live a normal life? No.

Why should we blame ourselves for doing something medically that is going to help us lead normal, active, healthy, productive lives?? Nope, I don't blame myself.

Nope, I won't accept that "coulda woulda shoulda" speak -- we all did it because we needed it just like any other medical procedure or device. That's what I think.

I don't think this is the easy way out ... it is good to have a tool, doesn't make it easy though. Since Oct (I was sleeved beg July) I am fighting for every pound that I lose, and on times, I am really struggling with it. Without the sleeve, I KNOW for sure I would have given up and gained any weight that I had lost (although, back then it was never more that a lose of 7lb - and that would take many, many weeks and mths)!

So, this isn't easy for me... but I also appreciate that we are all different ... =]

I definitely consider myself a "success story" thus far. I am down about 115 pounds in 7 months. I look and feel better than I have in my entire adult life. I have no regrets and I know that having the VSG was the right decision for me at the right time in my life.

Here's the thing -- there are moments when I have guilt over taking the "easy way out" by having this surgery. Intellectually, I know that it was not really easy at all and I know that if I didn't do it I was headed for disaster in terms of my health, but there is some part of me that wonders if I could/should have done it the old fashioned way with diet and exercise (even though I know that was pretty unrealistic for me).

Again, I really have no regrets, but I am just wondering if any other sleevers out there have had these feelings. I guess my biggest concern is that feeling like I cheated or took the easy way out will cause me to sabotage my weight loss maintenance.

Thanks for any input you can provide.

Brian

Just wait til your 1 + years out and actually have to watch what your doing or it starts to creep back up, , , then ask your question of "taking the easy way out" . . . I have to actually diet now and exercise like a bumbaclat all the time just to maintain my weight, no not lose it (that would be great!!!!!) but to actually prevent it from going up. . . it's so easy now on just 1000 - 1200 calories to gain weight. . . .very irratating. . .

Thanks to those who took the time to reply with their perspective on this issue. Your thoughts were just what I needed to hear.

I especially loved the references to all the tools that we use in everyday life that none of us would ever think of feeling guilty about. Also loved the references to glasses, hearing aids and other medical aids that people need and use everyday.

Once again, this forum has given me the push I needed to keep moving forward on this crazy journey.

Thanks again,

Brian

Absolutely NOT!

I work out 4-5 times a week. I make sure I'm eating better food.

Overall making BETTER decisions. The sleeve only offers back up assistance :) lol

As they say, the definition of insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting a different result. I was exhausted by losing and regaining, and just felt like I wasn't living.

I am getting "me" back now. It is easier, because I don't have the option of pigging out, but I am making good choices every day including working out and eating well.

Well put Tiff and Julie!!

This really isn't the easy way out I had to do a LOT of SOUL searching first to even HAVE the surgery. If I wouldn't of had the surgery I would have DIED at a YOUNG age...per my Doctor!!!! So for me it was the BEST THING I ever DID for myself!

You are SO RIGHT about things I LOVED to eat before don't taste good now. I tried BEEF for the first time in 7 weeks today...had a steak 4 days before surgery! LOL Anyway, I didn't like it....took one bite and I didn't like it! Now I was a HUGH Beef eater before this surgery and I'm sure I will try it again but for now I will stick with my Fish and Chicken!

No quilt here because I'm a MUCH HAPPIER PERSON today then I was 6 weeks ago!!!

It is a tool to help you make what will hopefully become a permanent behavioral change. While preparing for the sleeve and afterwards and in all those visits with doctors, nutirtionists, and support groups you are learning proper behavioral modifications. Modifications that are not easy, this is hard work. Also many of lost weight to get to the surgery, I myself lost 200 lbs prior to getting sleeved and I know the hardest part "maintenance" is ahead of me but I've now spent over 18 months preparing for that battle that will last the rest of my life.

I remember a few months ago, I was talking to another lady about weight loss and I told her that I had "taken the easy way out." I can't for the life of me figure why I said what I said but to this day I still feel pissed off at myself. Pissed and ashamed because I copped out. Having gotten this surgery was anything but the easy way out. I've had to learn to eat better, adjust to the smallest portions of food, be silent and secretive with those around me when all I want to do is just ignore everybody. It's a tool, no doubt, and I'm still learning how to use it to my advantage. But the weight loss that I've achieved so far has been due to my commitment and hard work. This sleeve helped to save and better my life, and for that, I have no regrets.