Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

strange question from a newbie

Eating to many calories in a day is not really an issue for me.I do 1500-1800 per day. I dont have the sleeve yet, but my doctor suggested bariatric surgury as a possible option for me 2 week ago. I keep on gaining weight. I am 5'7" and 260 lbs. i can gain weight in a heartbeat and i have sleep apnea. My husband is concerned that having surgury is not right for me and is concerned i may have 80% of my stomach removed and still not lose weight.He wonders if the surgery is only successful for people who ate calories above the recommended amount for their height and weight before surgery. I have been lurking on this forum for 2 weeks and just joined today. After doing research i know i only want to do the sleeve. i have been fat for so long i feel kind of like this could be my light at the end of the tunnel for me.

Ok here is my question

Did anyone eat lower amount of calories before surgery and still lost weight after ?

Eating to many calories in a day is not really an issue for me.I do 1500-1800 per day. I dont have the sleeve yet, but my doctor suggested bariatric surgury as a possible option for me 2 week ago. I keep on gaining weight. I am 5'7" and 260 lbs. i can gain weight in a heartbeat and i have sleep apnea. My husband is concerned that having surgury is not right for me and is concerned i may have 80% of my stomach removed and still not lose weight.He wonders if the surgery is only successful for people who ate calories above the recommended amount for their height and weight before surgery. I have been lurking on this forum for 2 weeks and just joined today. After doing research i know i only want to do the sleeve. i have been fat for so long i feel kind of like this could be my light at the end of the tunnel for me.

Ok here is my question

Did anyone eat lower amount of calories before surgery and still lost weight after ?

Follow me.... my journey

First, you need to have your metabolic rate tested before you can clam that 1500-1800 per day is the magic button. I had mine tested at my OBGYN's office and I only burn 980 cals per day so anything over that i'm gaining weight.

Weight gain is simple just not easy. Calories in versus calories out. It you eat more than you burn you will gain weight. If you are gaining weight you are eating more than you burn. It is simple math just not simple to do.

I was never over weight till I had my 2nd child at age 35. I went from a normal weight of 125 to 200 lbs. I have hypothyroid desease and a low metabolic rate. I can lose 30 lbs doing metafast or weight watchers only to gain it back in record time plus 5lbs. My Dr. couldn't figure it out either. My husand says i'm the healthiest fat person he knows (lovingly of course). I eat healthy, I never eat fast food, I avoid high calories foods and don't like sweets but i'm obese.

After my first seminar the Dr. explained that with the Sleeve a hormone that makes us hungry will be removed and that often metabolic rates are reset. I have decided to have the Gastric Sleeve. In fact i'm one week post-op. Feb. 28th is my biggest loser day.

I started my liquid diet today (to help shrink the liver before surgery). My starting weight is 215 and i'm 5'5" tall.

Please follow my journey and I promise to be as candid as possible.

Good luck with your decision.

Kimberly from TX

You could be burning very low amounts of weight. Have you checked your thyroid?

I have thyroid problems, and no matter what I did I gained weight. Now it is fixed and I have stopped gaining, and I am getting ready to have the sleeve.

You may be burning very low amounts of calories, an the sleeve takes you down to about a thousand calories a day.

My doctor ran my blood work and did a 24 hour urine sample. i will get the results on Friday. My throat is being cat scanned Thursday. He is looking to see if i have thyroid/hypothyroidism or Cushings Syndrome (too much cortisol in the bloodstream) He said he will have enough info from all the test on Friday to start making decisions together. I had a massive crying breakdown in his office a week and a half ago. I am so tired of feeling like crap with all this extra weight :( If i get to have the surgery it will likely be at Henry Ford Hospital. He told me he has sent just over 50 patients there and no one has had complications. I am so tired of sleep apnea and fat at 32 yrs old.

Thank you so much, i will follow your story. I will look into having my metabolic rate tested or do they do that when you are going thru the process ?

it's not part of the process. My OBGYN had mine tested for me at their office when my weight gain started to spiral out of control for no reason. I also agree you should have your thyroid checked. You may have hypothyroid desease. That also slows the metabolic rate down.

Usually low calorie = high carb and I'm one of those ppl who just can't lose on high carb no matter how low cal.

Ok here is my question

I am almost exactly your height and weight - and I too do not have a pattern of eating a great deal. I have always had a low low metabolism but could keep my weight down with activity and that went south when I hurt my back. The post about carbs also resonates and therefore I feel with the extreme cut back in calories as well as the focus on Protein the sleeve will be great for me. You may lose a bit more slowly than some but you will lose. Go for it!

I understand your husband's concern and I can tell you that it will be slower to lose weight if you ate a lower amount of calories.

I believe this is the case for me, I have been logging my caloric intake on and off since 5 years or so. I averaged maybe 1200 during a weekday and maybe 1800 on a weekend day.

I am 3.5 months out and have lost 47 pounds, and I had about the same stats as you - 5'6" and 260 pounds -- so it works, but not as fast as some others here.

I believe I am one of those people who messed up their metabolism by lots of diets early on.

Before surgery, I never ate fast food, I never drank sugar pop, I wasn't a "candyholic", I never had take-out. We always cooked and we always cooked with lots of fresh ingredients. The problem is that I believe I can cook a very tasty meal and I love to eat, so even on a fresh meal with veggies and meat you gain weight if you eat more than you should.

You will probably have more/longer stalls - just so you can prepare mentally. I stalled almost 2 weeks after week 3, and I stalled a whooping 23 days around 3 months (which I am just coming out of). But the thing is, the weight is coming off and that's all that matters.

I do work out though, so I hope you are in for that but I can tell you, as the weight is falling off, working out gets a lot more pleasant.

Good luck with your decision!

thanks so much everyone for your input. Susanne i think you are right about mentally preparing myself to not lose as much weight as quickly. I think i would be doing cartwheels if i could lose 60 lbs in a year. All i want is to be in onederland again i have not been under 200 in like 10 years.

You'll get more demanding, I guarantee it. I was looking at my initial blog posts, and I noticed that I was thrilled to hear I could lose 20-30 pounds within a month or so but then you just want more and faster :-)

The thing is, it probably is not easy for you to stay around 1500 calories right now, but afterward it is actually not too difficult to stay at lower calorie ranges and that alone will take a HUGE burden off your shoulders.

2 weeks Before the procedure you go on a very low calorie diet 600-800 carbs. 2 days just before surgery full liquid diet. I lost 6lbs pre-operatively. Post-operatively I lost another 6lbs (and it's only 3 days after surgery). This is the safest procedure one can choose....lowest risk compared to other procedures.

Sent from my SM-G531H using the BariatricPal App