Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Tomorrow... So scared...

Sign in to follow this  

So my surgery is scheduled for tomorrow at 10:30 AM, and I am so sick nervous. I am very seriously considering backing out, not because I don't think this is the right decision, but because I am so afraid of dying or having complications (but mostly dying). I know that I shouldn't be that worried because death rates are low, but I have never had surgery before, and I am just so scared. I have realized how great everything I have in this life is leading up to this, and I am so scared of losing it all. I am wondering if it is stupid to take this risk. I know that I want to be thinner and healthier, and I know that long term it will probably prolong my life, but I can't get past the thought that 'that only makes sense if I make it through the surgery...' Was everyone else scared like this? How did you get past it? How did you get yourself to the hospital and what was it like when you got there? Were you scared all the way until the second they put you to sleep?

Any help you can offer is appreciated, guys. I am going to print this thread and take it with me to bolster my resolve. I hope I can do this and I hope it will all be okay.

Please do not worry! Go in there with a positive attitude and you will be fine! I, too, was very nervous ramping up for surgery. But, my cousin, who is an OR nurse, made me promise to have a good attitude and go in laughing. She said that we can control how we recover based on how we view ourselves and the surgery. She was right. It was not bad at all. So, laugh! We will all be here waiting for you!!

Omg. You sound exactly like I did 10 days ago. I was so scared I was bawling. I just knw I was going to die. I kept getting signs from God not to do it. So I thought. I'm only 9 days post op and i'm happy with my decision. I had faith in my surgeon, I wasn't afraid of the pain afterward but just of dying. I made it through ok. I talked to my surgeon before I sucked it up and did it. You are not alone. Call me tomorrow before surgery and we'll talk it through if you want. 2098727090.

I had my surgery on February 9th and I too freaked out the last few hours before the big event. Actually right before I got my "Happy Shot" I told my partner "I don't want to die." But the nurses in the OR were great and having someone support me also made a huge difference. It is scary but living the way I was seemed a lot worse and the facts and research helped me see how the odds were in my favor. You deserve to be healthy and happy and this surgery is just the starting point , but the number one thing is having a support team in addition to a positive attitude. Keep posting your thoughts and getting advice from those who have been in your very position. Good Luck and you will be okay...................

rolleyes.gif

Well you just have come too far not to go through it now.. I had my surgery the 1st of February and I was too scared as you are. You are doing this to better you health better you life and you have to remember this..You have to take a step in the unknown if you want to make a difference in your life..The doctor will probably come see you before you go into surgery .. Just ask him question and I would recommend you getting something to relax you in your iv. You will be fine. Just remember after you surgery to sip and walk . You have to walk and the more you walk and sip the bettter you will feel..They will be really good about your comfort after surgery.. They got some good drugs too...LOL Any way good luck and you will do wonderful..

I wish there was a way to wiggle my nose and you'd be waking up from surgery already. I, too, was anxious and scared. As the day of surgery got closer, I knew in my heart that I was going to be fine but still felt the fear of not waking up. I said a prayer as they gave me the "happy" shot in my IV, and felt that I was in great hands.

I'm 11 weeks post-op and haven't regreted it for a moment.

Saying a prayer for you EvRev!

I have had a few surgeries now: 2 biopsy under general, a knee arthroscopy with lateral release and now the sleeve. Going in for surgery never gets easier when it comes to your worries. I was nervous too. My surgery was originally for 2:30pm, but they called the day before and I was the first one of the day at 7am. While that made my worrying easier as I didn't have to stress all day about going in, it also took away some worry time which made me worry more. I am in the medical field and it still doesn't prepare you for having a procedure done to yourself. Your feelings are normal and to be expected. I'd worry if you were not nervous in the least.

Don't give up all you have worked so hard for. The surgeon visits, the dieticians visits, the psych eval, labs, possible cardio testing, insurance approvals, arrangement that were made...etc... You are so close to the finish line and seeing the rewards that you have longed for - why give up now? It may seem like a big step, but remember that all the people on this board have gone through the same and we all made it out on the other side just fine.

When they bring you in the o.r. and give you the anesthesia, you will be awake and done before you even realize they put you to sleep. You'll be fine. You'll love that you went though with it. Be strong, the best it yet to come.

Thank you all so much. I am still very nervous, but I have printed all of these comments to take with me. I really appreciate all of your support, and I look forward to sending the love back out to someone who is scared in the future. I will update you guys when I am through it. If you have any further positive words, I am accepting all encouragement!!! LOL

I wasn't worried about dying. But I was still scared-mostly of complications.

I just felt the fear and did it anyway. I regretted the surgery for about 24 uncomfortable hours afterward but now I'm so much more comfortable in my skin minus 18lbs! You'll do great!

Hope everything goes well and praying for you, EvRev!

I went through the surgery alone.....I live alone, drove to the hotel the day before my surgery alone, went to the hospital the next day alone, walked into the OR alone.....I'm sure you get the picture! LOL! Was I nervous & scared? Damn right! But I was also very excited to be taking the next step that would help me achieve my life-long dream of becoming slim! It's working! 33 pounds down in the last 5 and a half weeks! I have never been happier to have surgery before in my life!