Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Tomorrow...

So my surgery is scheduled for tomorrow at 10:30 AM, and I am so sick nervous. I am very seriously considering backing out, not because I don't think this is the right decision, but because I am so afraid of dying or having complications (but mostly dying). I know that I shouldn't be that worried because death rates are low, but I have never had surgery before, and I am just so scared. I have realized how great everything I have in this life is leading up to this, and I am so scared of losing it all. I am wondering if it is stupid to take this risk. I know that I want to be thinner and healthier, and I know that long term it will probably prolong my life, but I can't get past the thought that 'that only makes sense if I make it through the surgery...' Was everyone else scared like this? How did you get past it? How did you get yourself to the hospital and what was it like when you got there? Were you scared all the way until the second they put you to sleep?

Any help you can offer is appreciated, guys. I am going to print this thread and take it with me to bolster my resolve. I hope I can do this and I hope it will all be okay.

I was exactly like you. I even posted on here for support because I couldn't stop crying! Your feelings are totally normal, take a nice long walk, have a nice long hot bath and try to relax. Tomorrow at this time, you will be sleeved and your nerves will be so much better. Good luck tomorrow and keep us posted!!!

2 things, make sure you bring chap-stick to the hospital (I used it all the time, it was great) and after surgery my nurses wouldn't let me drink until I had a leak test performed, so just ask to gargle if you get a dry mouth.

***HUGS*** ***HUGS*** you will do great!!!!!!!

Cheers - Tiffany

When I expressed fears of complications and worse to my cardiologist, she said those were rare but I would definitely have complications and/or worse from obesity if I did not have the surgery. When I get worried, I think about that. I am a nurse and most patients have some fears and worries about surgery. I worked in surgery for 17 years and never had any patient not make it through surgery unless they were trauma patients from accidents and even then, I never was in on the surgery. 17 years and everyone woke up. Those are pretty good odds.

Try and relax and think of all the positives of having this surgery. I hope I can follow my own suggestions when it is my turn to have the surgery. rolleyes.gif I have to have my gall bladder out and am have a band to sleeve revision at the same time. good luck.

Cathy

I second what sunshine6855 said. I went to my cardiologist, thinking that he could put a stop to it if he felt it were dangerous (I have a bicuspid aortic valve--it was there from birth). He said I was no more high risk than anybody else having the surgery. Because of my valve problem he wants to be sure I am on antibiotic while in the hospital, but he said it was standard procedure for ANYBODY to have antibiotics. And he also said that all the risks from morbid obesity (high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, etc., etc.) were much more dangerous to me than the surgery. So, just remember, the risks of being morbidly obese FAR outweigh the risks from the surgery.

I have had various surgeries before, and I was honestly petrified before each and every one, no matter how routine the procedure. In fact, in one case I was so freaked out in the holding room that they had to give me something early just to calm me down. But don't worry! YOU WILL DO FINE!!

Please update us when you feel like it!

Lisa

Yes I was scared the might before. I was home alone and didn't sleep a wink. I distracted myself by watching videos. Also I was afraid not to have it due to supermorbid obesity. Once you get to the hospital it is actually easier as there is so much to do to get one ready and then you're being wheeled into surgery. That's all I remember. Then I woke up and all done.

Have faith in God, your surgeon, and your decision. Remember......everyone dies sometime...if its your time to go then its your time. Better than living a life of pain, depression, and disability.

Don't be scared!

Thanks everyone! This morning blew up, basically my surgeon's office screwed up and told me the wrong time to get there, so they have now moved me back to 1 PM instead of 10:30 AM, and I got very upset and called my doctor, who wasn't particularly nice about it... So right now my stress is at an all-time high. But I'm going to try to go in there and just do it. Thank you all so much for your words of encouragement.

Sunshine, you in particular. I am a medical researcher, and I am basically terrorizing myself with all the 'what if' potentials of general anesthesia involving a paralytic agent and the surgery. It is SO good to hear what you just said (even though, statistically, I already knew it).

I am sorry you had a bad start to your day. Look at it this way, it distracted you from all your fears somewhat. Hope everything went well and you are now on the losing side. I will expect reassurance and support as I get closer to surgery. I will be just like you thinking of all the what ifs. That's that medical background for you rolleyes.gif Let me know how you did.

I see you are from Atlanta. I am in Augusta. Maybe we can meet up something down the road and compare experiences.

Cathy

So my surgery is scheduled for tomorrow at 10:30 AM, and I am so sick nervous. I am very seriously considering backing out, not because I don't think this is the right decision, but because I am so afraid of dying or having complications (but mostly dying). I know that I shouldn't be that worried because death rates are low, but I have never had surgery before, and I am just so scared. I have realized how great everything I have in this life is leading up to this, and I am so scared of losing it all. I am wondering if it is stupid to take this risk. I know that I want to be thinner and healthier, and I know that long term it will probably prolong my life, but I can't get past the thought that 'that only makes sense if I make it through the surgery...' Was everyone else scared like this? How did you get past it? How did you get yourself to the hospital and what was it like when you got there? Were you scared all the way until the second they put you to sleep?

Any help you can offer is appreciated, guys. I am going to print this thread and take it with me to bolster my resolve. I hope I can do this and I hope it will all be okay.

EVREV,,

We have all been there. That little voice in the back of our heads saying do I really need this? What if.....

I say to you WHAT IF you DON'T? No death would not be an imminent as it "might" with surgery, however surely the risks of staying over weight and gaining weight with out surgery will surely lead to a life with co morbilities and and certain death.

I am 3 months out and I do not regret for one second the new control I have over food, it no longer rules me. I actually for the VERY FIRST TIME in the 40 years like what I see in the mirror. I no longer take 5 blood pressure meds, 1 sugar med, cholesterol or pain meds for daily back pain and sciatica.

My blood pressure and blood sugar has been under control since the day I left the hospital. I have had only one back episode a month after the surgery.

I have more energy than ever! We have had record snows this year and for the first time in years I YES ME Shoveled the drive, the back deck and THE FRONT SIDE WALK several times!

I just ordered my 4th smaller size in work uniforms today and I am down from a size 24 pants to a 16! I hardly know the person I see in the mirror.

YOU can do this my friend. I would be there is more risk to your life driving to work than surgery in a controlled environment with medical staff and meds all around you.

I promise you, a month from now you will be psyched like I am and ohhh so proud of yourself.