Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Smoking Cigarettes

I think that, with food AND with smoking, you really need to take things one day at a time. Or one minute at a time, when the crisis/craving hits.

I have never been a heavy smoker, I would average maybe one pack per week. But I did quit for 15 years and then take it up again, for no apparent reason. Sigh. I quit again a couple of weeks ago, but I mostly miss it at work -- it's a social thing, take a nice break, see colleagues in the smoking room, have a chat. I miss that. Instead I've been having more coffee meetings. :D

On my pre-surgical instructions here, it just says I shouldn't smoke after midnight the day before surgery. Which made me just laugh. I asked the surgeon about it, and she actually said it would be better to quit at least a week before.

I quit a pack a day about 15 years ago. Now they just taste like ashes to me. I have tried one every 5 years or so... at a party with a drink, or with a friend in a social situation and Im glad to say the glamor is gone. Plus they really stink things up. When I visit my dear friend who smokes, she really tries to use fans and such and stay away from me when she smokes, and when I get home, my hair and cloths smell like smoke. I used to love it, but now its just yuck. You can do it, just hang in there and know you are really doing something great for yourself and others around you too! If you have kids or a non smoking other... you are saving their lives too at the same time. Plus these days they are soooo expensive! Put that money in a jar every week, and use it on new cloths after you lose your weight. Your skin will love you for it too....

I quit 1/7/11 with Chantix and had surgery on 1/26/11. I had to stop taking the Chantix at least while I was in the hospital. I had such bad headaches from the withdrawal that I opted not to start taking them again. I felt really confident at the time that I would not go back to smoking. So far so good, but it is REALLY hard. I was a 30 yr 1 - 1.5 packs a day smoker. Now I've given up nicotine, caffeine, alcohol and food basically. I feel like there is no pleasure in my life. I also have a lot of stress due to my 23yr old son & his girlfriend just moving in with us. The urge to smoke has been terrible lately. I really enjoy saving the money, and not smelling like an ashtray........but I'm not sure how much longer I can fight the urge. I will be 4 weeks post-op tomorrow.

Today is my third day of not smoking. The patch seems to be working pretty well for me. I get "waves" of cravings, but they do pass. I just try to keep occupied and try not to think about it too much. So far so good! Best of luck to all of us!

Good luck to you both. Its a major change!

Thanks FeedYourEye! My husband is a smoker as well and has quit with me. I am very thankful that the Chantix has made it somewhat easier.

I'm chomping at the bit waiting to hear back from UHC for approval...tic-toc-tic-toc.:blink:

j have sugery for my sleeve in 5 days and i am still smoking, no were near as much as i use to but if i quit 3 days before will i be ok???

j have sugery for my sleeve in 5 days and i am still smoking' date=' no were near as much as i use to but if i quit 3 days before will i be ok???[/quote']

I would quit ASAP. As mentioned on here, many docs will test you pre-op. my doctor tests the day of surgery!

Good luck!

thank you i will do that now!!!

I quit 2 weeks before! I used the patch.. Surgery os today

I quit about a year before my surgery. Cold turkey. The whole reason I am getting the surgery is to be healthier and live longer so it only made sense to quit smoking first. I will not lie. It was not easy. I gave up smoking, basically eating and alcohol. The three crutches that have gotten me through my life. It was very hard but like they say, anything worth having or doing is hard. You will get through it if you truly want it. Every time you want a cig you have to focus on the negative things about smoking.

I amoked before and after. I don't know if this is related, but my incisions opened up 3 weeks after surgery and were big holes for 2 months!

I think I'm going to try Chantix too. Did any of y'all have side effects?

I use an electronic cigarette. Have for about a year now. Actually was "vaping" in my hospital room. Smells much better! My personal fave is the EGO. The best price is found at cignot.com. If you are interested I can tell you more. I've tried smoking since I started vaping and it just tastes nasty to me now.

Dr. Campos said he ordered one for Dr. Aceves! laugh.gif

Hey thanks for posting your advice! I am going to go check out that website!

I am interested in communicating more about this!

Thanks,

Mariah :)