Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frustrated

Shanny
Sign in to follow this  

So today makes 8 days post op. I went to the doctor today and I got told off. Apparently, I'm dehydrated. I'm not getting in enough fluids or Protein. Now, I can average about 2 oz at a time. Yet, he expects me drink 64 oz of Water and get in at least 50 grams of Protein. How in the hell am I supposed to do that? The first 3 days I was so nauseous that I popped the nausea pills like candy. I drink, but I can't drink that much. My stomach won't hold that much. Before surgery, I could drink gallons of Water a day. Now, 20 oz is about all I can do. He told me to set a timer and to drink 1 oz every 5 minutes while I'm awake. How am I supposed to do and get in 50 grams of protein? I HATE the protein suppliments. I don't like fruit flavored water. I either want fruit juice or water, not both. They don't make water flavored protein water. And the protein powders are too sweet. Do they make protein pills?

He made me do blood work and I have to go back next week. If I'm still dehydrated he's threatened to put me back in the hospital with IV fluids. I can't figure this damn sleeve out!

I worked my butt off to lose weight for the surgery and did everything that I was supposed to do for surgery. I don't want to throw it all away now. Does it ever get easier? Does it ever just fall all into place? I know that in the long run I'll be thankful that I did this, but today I'm seriously looking for the pot of gold at the end of this rainbow!

So today makes 8 days post op. I went to the doctor today and I got told off. Apparently, I'm dehydrated. I'm not getting in enough fluids or Protein. Now, I can average about 2 oz at a time. Yet, he expects me drink 64 oz of Water and get in at least 50 grams of Protein. How in the hell am I supposed to do that? The first 3 days I was so nauseous that I popped the nausea pills like candy. I drink, but I can't drink that much. My stomach won't hold that much. Before surgery, I could drink gallons of Water a day. Now, 20 oz is about all I can do. He told me to set a timer and to drink 1 oz every 5 minutes while I'm awake. How am I supposed to do and get in 50 grams of protein? I HATE the protein suppliments. I don't like fruit flavored water. I either want fruit juice or water, not both. They don't make water flavored protein water. And the protein powders are too sweet. Do they make protein pills?

He made me do blood work and I have to go back next week. If I'm still dehydrated he's threatened to put me back in the hospital with IV fluids. I can't figure this damn sleeve out!

I worked my butt off to lose weight for the surgery and did everything that I was supposed to do for surgery. I don't want to throw it all away now. Does it ever get easier? Does it ever just fall all into place? I know that in the long run I'll be thankful that I did this, but today I'm seriously looking for the pot of gold at the end of this rainbow!

I am having trouble getting in enough to drink. I think I am getting close but not quite the full amount. My problem is I've never been a big drinker anyway. I used to go HOURS without drinking pre-surgery and now all the sudden I have to do it all the time. It is quite possibly the hardest thing I've had to do. I am just grinning and bearing it. I always have a bottle of water with me and sip on it and if I get a little sick I wait a few and take another sip.

I wish you luck!!

You have to SIP SIP SIP SIP ALL DAY LONG!!!! It will get easier but at first you have to sip like every few mintues!!! I kept a bottle of Water in my hand at all times....even church!!

It does get easier - PROMISE!!!! Right now, if you are awake, you should be sipping. You can do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sip sip sip, you do not want to go on an IV! I don't know about your medical plan, but I have to pay $500 a day for the hospital. Suck it up and try some different fruit Proteins, and you can count the Water and Protein at the same time. nectar is not to bad. You can get samples for cheep. I have tried the cherry and the strawberry kiwi, not too bad. Add some ice and get the job done. In a few weeks you will have more choices and will be able to drink more. This is not a joke. You are doing it to take care of your self and your healing right now. Not enough water or protein will slow the healing and your body will take away from your muscles and heart if it cant find the protein in your food. Just do it. It will get better soon.

Yes it DOES get easier as the sleevers above point out. It seems that your surgeon is expecting too much too. As pointed out keep sipping. Eating gets easier, I was really turned off by EVERYTHING for a few weeks now I can tolerate some stuff.

Experiment with various flavored waters, Crystal Light or sugar free Kool-aid may help. Pedialite is also good too as it has electrolytes in it ( "it's what the body craves" :rolleyes: ). Sports drinks may help too, although watch the salt content. Stay OFF of cafeinated stuff as it may actually CAUSE dehydration.

Like everyone has said you just have to sip every waking hour. Yes its boring and can make one nauseated but have to do it. It does get better. I finally started adding lemonade flavored crystal light - its tarter than other flavors. That helped my nausea. I divided the day into segments - I have 4 hours to drink one bottle - or 3.5 when I started mushies. Then just made sure I finished sipping a bottle in that time period. It was really hard at first but got easier. My surgeon emphatic on 64 oz right out of hospital and I did it because of fear of dehydration and rehospitalization being selfpay.

Ps shanny. Don't know about your doctor since he mentioned Protein to you but when I was only 8 days out my doctor said getting in the Water was more important than protein at that stage. But you need to do what your doctor said.

Try some unflavored Protein. Just be warned, it doesn't heat well. I wouldn't put it in Water, but others might have recommendation. I used Vitamin water zero and lemon juice concentrate to add to the fruit flavors and cut the sweet. I can't stand the chocolate or the thickness of most Protein Drinks, but finally settled on cherry syntax protein, extra water, lemon juice or crystal light lemonade mixed together. By the way by 2 1/2 - 3 weeks I could swallow bigger sips and didn't feel like I was drowning myself sipping constantly. This too shall pass. Just focus, and keep it up.

You should try Isopure zero. It has no calories and 40 grams of Protein. It is a flavored Water. They have several flavors but I think the grape is the best. You can get it at GNC. It will kill two birds with one stone (Water/protein). Plus it taste good. Good luck to you.

Isopure is 160 calories per 20 oz. serving.

My NUT says I can count my Protein drinks as part of my fluids for the day! They weren't concerned with my protein intake until at least 14 days out, before that it was all about the water!!!