Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm so glad you have that support. The Protein drinks suck. I had such a hard time with them. The taste, the texture. It is so aversive to me. Ugh. I ended up with a fuzzy navel one or something like that and I stuck with that. Ugh. They are grossssss. Even the tasteless ones were intolerable for me.

I hate to be the one to tell you to cheat BUT my friend suggested I eat one Protein meal a day. She did that and she did fine. She just stopped 2 1/2 days before surgery and no one knew. Some people in her support group suggested this and she shared this plan with me. The bottom line, she said, was as long as you stick to protein it doesn't matter as far as shrinking your liver. I don't know if that was true, but honestly I did this a few times and it got me through. I saved it for when I could not handle it any more or if I got somewhere and didn't have any shakes with me. So with that said I hate a couple meat patties, drove through Chick fila a few times to get just a grilled breast, etc. It isn't worth cancelling your surgery, because as far as I know a lot of people are NOT perfect. I even had a last supper during the two weeks which I never regretted. I just didn't tell my husband til like 6 mos. later, because he would have freaked out, but I totally don't regret that last feast with friends. I meant to do it before the 2 weeks but they changed my date suddenly, so whatever, I did it a week before surgery.

Look, you don't have to be PERFECT before surgery, just do the best you can to stick with protein and don't get dehydrated!!!. I got dehydrated and it made my veins very difficult when I was in the hospital - at least that is what they kept telling me. YUCK protein drinks!! A necessary yuck though.

The only thing positive, other than the liver thing, is that it jumpstarts your weight loss and gets you in the right frame of mind for not being able to eat after surgery.

I was on a liquid diet for 6 weeks once, and I did it for 2 weeks before surgery and that experience helped me have confidence that I could go without eating for an extended period of time. You will be satisfied enough if you make a lot of chicken broth, which I know I always repeat myself on this because it was so helpful to me.. My thing after surgery, honestly, was 1 Protein Drink a day (couldn't drink it at once) and a hell of a lot of homemade chicken broth and weak koolaid, Jello. I had minimal sugar and didn't do the artificial thing much bc I prefer to not do that. I used agave a lot, just a very natural healing for my body. Eventually cottage cheese, refried Beans, pureed meats and veggies, etc. Before very long I could puree chicken and drink it with the Soup. That was so awesome. I could just find protein in many forms to make it through. No sense gagging all the time choking down drinks - but they are helpful to get at least half your protein down. You will want Proteins that are not sweet, because you just get so sick of sweet from those drinks. For me the chicken broth was absolutely the trick. I sipped a lot on hot tea and broth. Also high protein milk is a good thing to use with your Protein Drinks, just more protein. You'll figure out something that works for you. If you tend to have low Iron, boil meats and sip on that broth.

No sense to cancel your surgery. You will be fine. It is not easy, but you can persevere.

As long as you have a good doctor, go forward. Your doctors job is the most important part and then would be your willingness to stick to liquids after surgery, then mushies, etc. Take it easy, don't lift the kids, and allow yourself to be cared for like you would take care of your own child. This is a lovely process actually. A real gift to yourself..

Hey there girl! I know how you feel. I just made my surgery date and I am feeling guilty about this decision, like I'm a burden and I am taking the easy way out.

I went to BariatricChoice.com and got some Protein Water and sugar free pudding that is high Protein.< /p>

You can always e-mail gaylecampbell-adams@u.boisestate.edu if you need support. I'm here for you

I weighed 250 and i don't need a Tummy Tuck, you need to wait a year so your skin will shribk, give it a chance and I've had 2 c-sections and a abdominal hysterectomy, this surgery was a walk in the park compared to those. Yes it's scary but if you don't take control of your health you and your family will both suffer. I was scared but it was sooo worth it.

I guess I am in the same boat- although I am 30- I have had 2 c-sections, abdominal hysterectomy and then another surgery to remove the ovaries and a tumor- just scared to death of this -might seem silly but it is ONE more surgery and then what if I need to have plastic surgery- sometimes I just feel done with it- but then I look at my body in the mirror now and think- ok- I have lived this many years with my gut hanging out, my fat hanging off my arms, a big butt and miserable- so what if I have a little skin hanging and feel great- what have I lost - nothing but fat and gained confidence in myself- that I could actually do something for myself and in the end would also benefit my kids, my husband and other relationships around me :)

Girl, if you have had 5 surgeries already then this surgery will be a piece of cake! LOL I've had 8 surgeries and 1 c-section and I told the doctor this is like a mosquito bite compared to my other surgeries! He just laughed! I was scared at first too but come surgery day I was READY FOR THE NEW ME!! Honestly, the doctor told my Husband and Mom that this was the BEST THING I could have done for myself. If I WOULDN'T of had the surgery I wouldn't have LIVED LONG!! I have Visceral Fat....Fat that grows on the organs...which would have choked my heart!!! I HAD NO IDEA!! I'm THANKFUL EVERYDAY for my SLEEVE!

THINGS TO REMEMBER:

1. WALK, WALK, WALK....you have to get rid of the GAS they put in you...EVEN in your CHEST...I was so scared when I woke up because my chest heart and my Dad died of a heart attack...but then they told me it was GAS PAIN!

2. EVERYDAY gets BETTER! You REALLY do feel better everyday! My 3 day I was sore but just like after you work out the 3rd day is the worst. Then my 10th day I was sore but that was because I was DOING MORE!!

3. NO MATTER WHAT QUESTION YOU HAVE you can come to this WEBSITE and ASK!!! There is SO MUCH WISDOM on the website the people are SO HELPFUL and CARING!!!

You will do just fine! GOOD LUCK!

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the advice.

Its not just the Protein drinks, its being scared of yet another surgery. Ive had 5 so far in my life and Im only in my 20s. Then of course I think of needing a Tummy Tuck (which I already need from having 3 c-sections), and possibly more surgery to fix what I have done to myself. I try not to be a worrier but I worry about what would happen to my family if something were to happen to me. My children are so young. Its just pre-surgery jitters I guess. It annoys me that Ive allowed myself to get to 240 lbs. I have friends who eat so much worse than I do, who exercize less than I do and still dont gain. Its annoying.

I am going to return the Protein I did buy and keep looking, I just cannot see myself drinking something that makes me want to vomit.

Im just scared.

Hi Sasi,

Well what can I add that others haven't already sounded off? I just want to tell you that the feelings you are having right now are nothing different than majority of us had pre-surgery. I even had them, especially since this was going to be my SECOND WLS!! I was so scared of failing AGAIN and didn't want to go through the disappointment and agony that goes along with it. I was extremely depressed and felt so hopeless.

But you know what? I pulled up my bootstraps and jumped with both feet in!! I figured, it really couldn't get any worse. I knew I had to do something and the time had come to turn my whole life around. All the stories here filled me with such hope that I could make my goals and finally be free from food AND OBESITY!! Today it holds more truth because I AM LIVING IT!!!

I know your reasons for feeling the way you do go way deeper than silly protein shakes. There are so many factors that go into our daily lives, and some I'm sure you haven't even shared with us. Just know that things will never change for you unless you take that step for a better you. What are the chances you become critically ill by staying obese and unhealthy? I'm sure they are a great deal higher than if you went through with this surgery and nipped it in the bud now. In a year you will be fit, full of health and your children will have a Mom who can keep up with them and enhance their lives as well.

Everything you are considering and doing right now for YOU will be worth every second of misery that goes along with this surgery. However only YOU can make that final choice on how you are going to handle your obesity.

Keep us updated. Just remember YOU ARE WORTH A BETTER, HAPPIER, HEALTHIER AND MORE FIT YOU. The rest will follow.

Blessings!!

When I first started drinking Protein shakes, it was difficult. I wasn't so much thinking of the taste as I was in that I'd be having a chocolate shake everyday. Woo hoo! Wrong. The texture and the flavor took time to adjust to but eventually I found that the shakes really aren't so bad. My nutritionist actually told me to drink a Protein Shake in the morning and afternoon and for dinner to have greens which goes through the system pretty quick. So, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Don't even think about giving up. If you can't stomach the shakes, eat small portions of Protein. Just be sure to stop a few days before. A few days of liquid won't hurt and it also helps to prepare you for the 2 weeks of liquids after the surgery. Good luck!

Just another little piece of the puzzle for you gals from an older lady (57). I always thought I was fat in my 20s and 30s.. and I have to tell you, it is SO much harder to lose weight and keep it off as you get older. I would get the surgery now if I was you, while you are young and your metabolism is not all screwed up from years of dieting, and natural hormone changes and stuff... just saying.

You all are just amazing. Its so great to know I have this site to help me get my head on straight.

Most of the ladies at our support group are in their 50s and 60s and all so encouraging me to get it done now and not struggle during these years with my weight. I am excited to have more energy to do stuff with my kids and not be worried that I am embarrassing them or myself.

I keep reminding myself of a situation I had in the last few months. We took our teen youth group from Church to the skating rink. I LOVE skating and even with the weight can do so pretty easily without getting too out of breathe. Well one of my girls needed help with something and pulled me to the ground. in the middle of the skating rink. With nothing around to help my fat butt up on rollar blades. I was mortified. And its not like I was just out with a bunch of strangers. My husband was there, my friends were there, the teens from our group were there and my fat butt had to do everything I could to get up off the floor with nothing to grab on to :(

You all are so right, I have to do this for myself, I need to give my fears to the Lord and just keep on moving toward this surgery. I have to do it for me and I have to do it for my family. I want my husband to look at me as his hot wife ♥ and I need my kids to look at me as a mom who would get out there and play them.

Thank you all sooooooo much!!

So its been a few days and thought I would give another update. I am doing much better. I found a unflavored Protein at Vitamin World and am mixing it in with my sugar free pudding and Jello and its made all the difference in the world, Im getting enough Protein to not need to drink the shakes which is great.

I also ordered some of the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury unflavored and the chicken Soup, excited to get those to try next :)

So at a week into my liquid diet I am down 9 lbs!! I know its Water weight but man its nice to see some lbs coming off with all this.

I do have to admit I totally cheated this weekend though. I had recieved a Cheesecake Factory giftcard and gave in to the temptation. I didnt even want cheesecake, just the pizza and salad from there. I had nothing else that day other than Water and have been doing pretty good since.

Getting excited to finally fit in some cute clothes, less than a week to go!