Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP I need Tips for slowing down

My stomach is in full fledged picky mode!! I can have one thing one day and the next day I am throwing it up, but what is making it worse I think is that I am eating too fast. I have tried to slow down but I continuely forget till its too late. Anyone got any tips on how they slowed down??? I have been a notoriously fast eater before surgery and I did slow down some and was working on it but obviously have not been successful enough! (I am 2 months out)

Ive been told that getting a timer and setting it between each bite has helped others to slow down.

My number one slow down tip: put down your fork or spoon between bites and count the number of times you chew. It's a bit tedious, but it becomes a habit. I chew each bite 20X.

Like the others have suggested, baby spoon, small bowl or plate, and when it goes in treat it like gum, sometimes I grab something to read so that I can be busy while chewing that way I am not starring at the walls.tongue.gif

YOu have to put the fork down between bites. before surgery I was getting to the point when I was eating by chewing everythign 27 times. I know it took a little more time to eat but I was trying to train myself slow down. The more you slow down to me the better your food taste and the more enjoyment you get from eating ..

I chew everything 25 or more times -- doing that has helped me avoid overeat and the dreaded throw up feeling I get when that happens. huh.gif

I too am a fast eater, I try to slow down but I know its hard. I really can't eat as fast as I used too but after two fast bites I feel I have to wait before I take another bite. So I push my plate away and talk with my family or I'm on the computer.

I was thinking about this last night, because I took ONE bite too much, and was very uncomfortable. I think one way you can keep yourself from overeating is by weighing your food or measuring it. That way you will not eat too much. My eyes are much larger than my stomach. (If I think about it they might be literally be the same size.) I used to put so much food on my plate that I am having a hard time too. I actually went and bought some small bowls. 4oz and 6 oz size. I know that amount will fill me up and I will not over eat. This is helping me - I am still having a hard time if I go out to eat - I guess I could BYOB. (Bring Your Own Bowl) Might get some strange looks. Good Luck! ;)

I also eat too fast and pay the consequences. I try to count to twenty after chewing really well. I even then I still am eating faster than most. I just have a hard time letting my food get colder and colder between bites and they say re-microwaving food just makes the food tougher.

I wish you luck.

Does anyone else have a specific amount of time they wait in between bites?

Thanks

I too am a fast eater, I try to slow down but I know its hard. I really can't eat as fast as I used too but after two fast bites I feel I have to wait before I take another bite. So I push my plate away and talk with my family or I'm on the computer.

Same here. I have to seriously force myself to slow the eff down. When DH is at work, I eat here at my desk so I'll take a bite and cruise around online or whatever. It helps if I'm looking at "skinny clothes" :) When DH is home and we're having dinner or whatever... I try to just slow it down and talk to him...put my fork down. Sometimes I'll even look at catalogs too. You know, once I even got up mid meal and walked around LOL. What I hate about the "slow down thing" and the such small portions thing is by the time I'm about halfway through, everything is already getting cold!!