Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Coffee coffee coffee

Honestly of all the things that are required post-op this is the one thing I am struggling with. Is it true I can never have coffee again? I don't see any mention of coffee but I have been to one seminar that listed it s something that as to go.

I have always considered it one of the few vices I would take to the grave with me and it is truly harder to separate from than any kind of food. Waaaaah!

Hey meggiep,

why can't you have coffee?

I drink coffee pretty much on a daily basis... it is generally Decaf with skimmed milk and sometimes 1/2 a sugar, sometimes not!

When I was in hospital straight after my op, I had a milky coffee before I left!

I don't drink the fancy coffees at the moment, but that is choice rather than postop advice... and that is cos they have too many carbs for me at the moment!

Not sure if that helps?! =/

im 4 days out and plan on having a coffee in the morning before my flight. i believe its ok.

OMG you all made my day! I of course planned to ask my doctor at my first appointment this Wednesday but the presentation said something about it being bad for blood sugar levels.

Seriously- I can face my new eating lifestye happily if I can have my coffee! I drink it with a lot of milk.

OH HOORAY!

I think it's because it's a diuretic. But once you are a few weeks out, you shouldn't have any problem getting all your fluids in, so it shouldn't make a big difference. I've developed more of a coffee habit recently, I guess it's my substitute for various other types of junk food from back in the day. The tricky part is not to succumb to all these fancy lattes with Syrup. I like my coffees flavored and really sweet, so I recently fell prey to this dark chocolate raspberry latte and upon coming home and getting online, found out that it was 300 calories for a SMALL! I'm starting to consider just buying a bottle of sugar free syrup, pouring it into a little container, and carrying that in my purse/backpack for when I feel like a sweet coffee.

I drink coffee just about every morning at six weeks out. I started drinking it again about three weeks ago. If you use the fat free Creamer, there is only 10 calories per tablespoon. I have never had an issue. I often add milk to get in some Protein. I read that black coffee can upset your stomach, so I always add creamer or milk.

Hi All,,I am glad that this issue was brought up..I am still waiting on my 2nd visit with my surgen ..I am gonna ask because I really dont think I can give up coffee because I gave up everything else about 4 yrs ago like smoking..I still have an accasional glass of moscoto wine is wonderful...I think once I have my surgery that may have to go...but COFFEE...wow that frightens me,,,I love my coffee...I can do without everything else....

The nutritionist lady told me no caffeine...decaf coffe and Decaf tea. I told her I might have to test that one out for myself. I think if I try the decaf maybe I'll get used to it. It takes about a week to get over the withdrawal headaches :(

I drink a cup of Decaf every day (I used to drink reg. but made the switch prior to surgery.) The other thing (besides it being a diuretic) is that caffeine can *sometimes* cause ulcers. I think the last thing that anyone who has been sleeved wants is an ulcer. However, from my own research it seems to be inconclusive that caffeine can cause ulcers. But for me, I would just rather not take the chance. I buy "flavored" decaf to help combat the flavor difference and I use full-fat cream (half and half) and splenda.

I drink a cup of Decaf every day (I used to drink reg. but made the switch prior to surgery.) The other thing (besides it being a diuretic) is that caffeine can *sometimes* cause ulcers. I think the last thing that anyone who has been sleeved wants is an ulcer. However, from my own research it seems to be inconclusive that caffeine can cause ulcers. But for me, I would just rather not take the chance. I buy "flavored" decaf to help combat the flavor difference and I use full-fat cream (half and half) and splenda.

It doesn't cause ulcers, but it can worsen GERD (heartburn).

Honestly of all the things that are required post-op this is the one thing I am struggling with. Is it true I can never have coffee again? I don't see any mention of coffee but I have been to one seminar that listed it s something that as to go.

I have always considered it one of the few vices I would take to the grave with me and it is truly harder to separate from than any kind of food. Waaaaah!

From what I know, the reason you are asked to wean yourself off coffee is because you will not be able to drink it for a few weeks post op. You will get really bad headaches and caffeine withdrawals if you don't, which will just make your healing process that much more miserable.

I drink coffee again. I don't drink it to full strength, I'm more half-caff and have been since I picked it back up. It still wakes me up just as good as it ever did.

:)

You have all made my heart glad! I have already planned to wean off the caffeine if I can before surgery but my husband and I love to drink mugs of coffee together while we work on our weddings (we're photogs) and it is something I do not want to lose. I add lots of 1 percent milk- I am post menopausal and want to add the Calcium. I swear this was my only really big concern in looking at the surgery.