Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I think Vitamins after VSG are a very good idea. The benefits of vitamins for regular folk are debatable, but for us, inadequate intake is very much a possibility, especially in the first few months when you barely eat. Get a chewable or a Gummy Vitamin - but read the labels, gummies often only have a handful of vitamins, so you may need another pill for Calcium, for example.

My nutritionist said Centrum in the white box, sublingual B-12, and 1200 mg. calcium citrate. I take on my own 1000 mg. Vit. D.

I do use the Bariatric Advantage offered by my doctor's office. It is $20 for the Vitamin and $22 for the Calcium. I also get the sublingual vitamin B for $9. Currently they are chewables but now that I can swallow I may be converting to regular pills here shortly. But I will take them until I am cleared from the doctor that I am getting enough Vitamins from real food.< /p>

I personally believe that most humans should be on at a bare minimum of a good quality, adult Vitamin, but that's just my opinion. I highly believe bariatric patients need Vitamins. We especially need a sublingual B12 because the portion of stomach that is removed is the part of the stomach that makes the intrinsic factor which breaks down b12 and makes it absorb in the intestines. Since we are missing the intrinsic factor, we need to supplement with a sublingual. You can pick them up at Walmart or any other pharmacy for around 5bucks for a 60-90 day supply.

I personally take Celebrate chewable multi complete. They're 20 bucks for a 30 day supply, and I take 1000 mg of calcium citrate via Celebrate Calcium Plus 500. I spend about $48 per month on Vitamins including shipping costs.

Vitamin deficiencies can lead to other health issues, and once you're deficient, it's not an easy task to get the numbers up.

I am on a B Complex with extra B 12 subingual that I already ha before surgery. It is very good. I will soon start Ester C and Calcium that I also took before surgery.

I take a b-12 from puritans pride and love it. You put it under your tounge and it taste like grape. I love the fact that it just dissolves and taste great. I just ordered some more today since they have special sale. I highly recommend it.

Flinstones Complete Chewable! Available at any Walmart :)

I went to Target and bought VitaFusion or Nutrition Now chewables for the mere fraction of the cost (7-12 bucks). About 70 chewables in each bottle.

Okay, they offered them at 35 bucks but I've never been a Vitamin person. Are any of you guys on the post-gastric surgery Vitamin? Does it help you any?

Vitamins are cheap insurance against a Vitamin deficiency caused illness. Here's from a post on another thread:

Here's my $.02.

Normal modern day eaters really don't need additional Vitamins unless they have a specific Vitamin deficiency due to improper diet, disease or heredity. In fact in the modern first world our diets are chocked full of more than enough vitamins in the fortified foods we all ate too much of. It is often said that modern people, especially Americans, have the most expensive urine in the world - It's full of vitamins that we DON'T adsorb and simply pass through. However people not eating much caloric intake - like sleevers - CAN rack up a vitamin deficiency quite easily just because of the lack of fortified food in the diet.

The word of caution is this - it is VERY easy to rack up a vitamin deficiency and an illness because of the lack of vitamins - it is VERY HARD and VERY EXPENSIVE both in $$ AND in the toll it can take on your body to CURE a disease that is due to a vitamin deficiency Once you have the symptoms of a disease caused by lack of vitamins you are WELL PAST the time when it can be easily reversed by taking further vitamin supplements, the damage done can take weeks and months or YEARS to correct and may cause permanent damage to your body. Vitamins are cheap insurance to avoid such diseases.

Normally recommended are:

Go to the doctor and ask that a blood panel and any other blood tests they desire be done to determine if you are low on any of these vitamins. Use the doctors suggestion on what to take.

I'm so confused by Vitamins. When (time of day) to take what, and what i should not take with which.... :-) Can someone spell out their regiments? I'm 7 mos out...

This is the easiest way to explain it:

Multis with Iron can not be taken within 2 hours of a calcium citrate because Iron impedes the absorption of Calcium

If your multi does not have iron, and you supplement with a different iron pill, do not take the iron within 2 hours of the calcium.

B12 sublingual is under your tongue and can be taken anytime during the day. I prefer to do it in the morning.

My regimen is quite simple:

Morning- 1 calcium citrate chewable 500mg

lunch time (2-4 hours later) another calcium 500mg

Late afternoon (typically a couple of hours before dinner) One multi with iron

After dinner - another multi

My multi has iron so I break it up that way to ensure that there is zero conflict.

I don't have to take anything additional to my multi, calcium and I only do the sublingual b12 3-4 times a week. I chose this regimen because it cut down on the number of pills/chewables I was having to take every day. With other calcium supplements, I was having to take 6 calcium pills a day(2 every 2-3 hours) plus 2 multis, and that's just too much for my lifestyle and I wasn't taking them so I had to find a regimen that would work for my lifestyle and Vitamin needs.