Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VSG and Back Problems?

So, haven't ran into any topics covering this but just wanted to check to see if anyone could offer me some wisdom on this matter. I am sheduled for sleeve gastrectomy next month and am sort of most anxious about my pain afterwards in regards to back pain that I already suffer with. I am wondering how the post-op period was for those of you who suffer from moderate to severe back pain and underwent the vertical sleeve surgery. How did your doctor help to control this? I am wondering if I can be given muscle relaxers along with the pain meds they will be giving me. I have pretty severe back pain at night when I sleep so much that I have to sleep in a recliner from 2am on...everynight...my back can't handle being flat and stretched out that long. I am much more comfortable in a sitting/reclined position. This stems from two back surgeries I have had...one of which was last March. Anyway, please anyone who has had the surgery and suffers from back pain please let me know what the post-op will be like. I am curious if lying flat for the surgery will make my back hurt more afterwards...but I hope not.

I have back problems also. Thry say the pain will go away once the weight starts to fall.I'm looking forward to pain loss part. Good luck to u. I still have 2 weeks till surgery

So, haven't ran into any topics covering this but just wanted to check to see if anyone could offer me some wisdom on this matter. I am sheduled for sleeve gastrectomy next month and am sort of most anxious about my pain afterwards in regards to back pain that I already suffer with. I am wondering how the post-op period was for those of you who suffer from moderate to severe back pain and underwent the vertical sleeve surgery. How did your doctor help to control this? I am wondering if I can be given muscle relaxers along with the pain meds they will be giving me. I have pretty severe back pain at night when I sleep so much that I have to sleep in a recliner from 2am on...everynight...my back can't handle being flat and stretched out that long. I am much more comfortable in a sitting/reclined position. This stems from two back surgeries I have had...one of which was last March. Anyway, please anyone who has had the surgery and suffers from back pain please let me know what the post-op will be like. I am curious if lying flat for the surgery will make my back hurt more afterwards...but I hope not.

I also have back pain. Maybe not as much as you, but right before surgery I had to be very careful of my back, keep my knees bent while laying down and such. I talked to my surgeon and the anesthesiologist about it. They said they could put a pillow under my knees at first.. but during the surgery no go. I was having robotic surgery, and they strap you down on a board that can be moved into an upright position if needed for surgery. I was really worried about the back when I woke up... but when i woke up, no back pain at all. Im sure the morphine helped a bunch, and in my hospital bed I could adjust the bed, but the spasms I was having before surgery just went away. Go figure. Talk to your team. Maybe get a great massage the day before surgery too...

Great idea about the massage! Thanks for that...I am definately going to do that one. I am glad you had no back pain afterwards...I will be pretty comfy once they have me on the hopital bed b/c you can adjust it into the recliner mode head up and legs up which helps my back pain greatly. I am also going to bring thermacare wraps with me to the hospital which helps me also. Thanks for the suggestion!

Great idea about the massage! Thanks for that...I am definately going to do that one. I am glad you had no back pain afterwards...I will be pretty comfy once they have me on the hopital bed b/c you can adjust it into the recliner mode head up and legs up which helps my back pain greatly. I am also going to bring thermacare wraps with me to the hospital which helps me also. Thanks for the suggestion!

I'm almost 4 weeks out and still no back pain!

I have 3 herniated discs and arthritis in spine and worried about that too but no problems post surgery. Losing weight has helped in months since but I occasionally still have problems. Still have a lot of weight to lose but back definitely better. (No problem at hospital before surgery either as pre-surgery nurse cranked the bed to support my

knees.)