Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why Mexico? Anyone in Pennsylvania?

OK, so I know this is a dumb question, but why is everyone going to Mexico to have their surgery done?

Is it for financial reasons?

Also, is anyone here from PA - particularly Eastern PA that could recommend a good surgeon?

Thanks!!

Melissa

Can't address the PA surgeon question.

I went to Mexico because:

My BMI was 35 and my insurance won't cover surgery for people less than 45 without comorbidities. I certainly wasn't going to gain weight immediately to have insurance cover it, and I wasn't willing to wait the 5 years or so for my BMI to reach 45.

I could afford surgery in Mexico. US surgeons cost at least 3K more than my surgeon charged and often you spend less time in the hospital post-op in the US. I was in the hospital 4 days/3 nights.

I didn't have to jump through insurance hoops to be approved and could schedule my surgery 3 weeks after I decided to have it.

I could pick my surgeon rather than having my insurance plan pick them.

Mexican surgeons have a lot of experience doing VSGs which cuts complication rates.

Those were my reasons.

I am having my surgery next month and initially I chose Mexico (Dr. Aceves) because of the price ($8750), but now, with a lot of research, even if I had the money or my insurance would cover it here in the US, I would still choose him because of his VAST experience and technique. He has proven repeatedly that he is doing something right. There are many, many Aceves success stories on this site along with other WLS sites.

Anyway, I checked around in the beginning, and the dr's in my area have done the sleeve, but for instance, one of the surgeons here has only done 40 sleeve surgeries. That just won't cut it for me. I need someone who does this on a daily basis. Since I am self-pay, I could have chosen just about anyone (within reason) and he is my choice.

Funny thing is, since his price is a little better, (along with other great surgeons in Mexico) more people from the States go to him for surgery, so he gets all this business (good for him) AND gains more experience (good for the patients). So, maybe the dr's in the States could take notes and come down off of those ridiculous prices.cool.gif

Oh yeah, and I liked the fact that I didn't have to wait. As soon as I got my money in order, I was able to schedule right then.

Like others, I didn't have insurance for VSG and have a lowish BMI. I looked at several US docs for self-pay. I found prices all over the place. I had a few offer to come down on their rates, but they couldn't do anything about the hospital fees. Those hospital fees kept rates high. I would have preferred to stay local to have local follow-up and support groups. But, I'm hoping that with Dr. Aceves, I won't have complications that need follow-up. Good luck in your search.

OK, so I know this is a dumb question, but why is everyone going to Mexico to have their surgery done?

Also, is anyone here from PA - particularly Eastern PA that could recommend a good surgeon?

Thanks!!

Melissa

Thank you all for your feedback.

The more I look at the insurance hoops you need to jump through, I myself and considering Mexico as well. I've read a ton of great stories about Mexico and their surgeons on this site.

The only problem is that my husband insists on me not going to Mexico for surgery. He's being very close-minded. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I can say to him, or any websites we can look at together to help open his mind?

Thanks!!

Melissa I have heard a lot about Dr aceves I believe that is how you spell it..Mexico surgery is for those who pretty much not covered on insurance or their insurance sucks as far as paying for the surgery.. Truthfully my wife could not get coverage for wls about 2 years ago and she was going to self pay in Mexico..I know there are a few surgeons that are really good...I would do a lot a lot of research before I would let any one in Mexico cut on me..

i had my sleeve with dr aceves on jan 27th. i have been a rn for 22 years. i have worked for the past 22 years in hospitals working icu and er. so with that said, i could not have had a better experience. the hospital was spotless. dr aceves has his own team in addition to he hospitals staff. there is always someone there to assist if needed. i have not experienced this ind of care personally or professionally. many people have written detail accounts of there journey it really is how others say. i believe that if your husband did some research himself he may have a change of heart kelly

Thank you all for your feedback.

The more I look at the insurance hoops you need to jump through, I myself and considering Mexico as well. I've read a ton of great stories about Mexico and their surgeons on this site.

The only problem is that my husband insists on me not going to Mexico for surgery. He's being very close-minded. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I can say to him, or any websites we can look at together to help open his mind?

Thanks!!

My husband was not crazy about the idea either, neither was my mother. I have spent MANY months researching this and finally showed them what I have found out and they have thankfully come around. However, even if they had not, I had my mind made up. Maybe just show him some of these posts from people who have been there and experienced it, but then if he is as closed minded as you say, he may think they were all made up or something silly like that.

Anyway, you just have to do what you feel comfortable with, not what anyone else tells you. As for me, I am comfortable with someone from Mexico cutting on me wink.gif Good luck to you, Melissa!

Thanks!!

Melissa

I am from PA (central) but I am getting my surgery done through the Pittsburgh VA, Dr. George Eid.