Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What kind of Protein drinks?

Just had my first Protein Shake yesterday. EAS chocolate. Not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Very close to the taste slimfast I think. Anyway I wasn't quite gagging it down but it could use some pepping up. So this morning I used 1 scoop EAS and 2 heaping teaspoons SF FF Choc pudding. It was great!! I bought a Blender Bottle and it works SO WELL!! I also use filtered Water through the fridge door but it is not extremely cold so I am gonna make one for lunch and put it in the fridge for a while then mix it again. Hope I still like it post-op!! :)

If you feel like something not milky, but fruity, try 4-ever-fit ... best deal Vitamin world, but you can find them elseware too... mango is my fav, they also have black raspberry, tea with lemon, strawberry/kiwi and cran/raspberry. I mix the mango and strawberry/kiwi for a fruit punch kind of juicy taste. It has the least whey taste/most realistic fruit taste I have found, much better than nectar according to my taste buds anyway. 25 gms pro, I think 100 cal and low carbs too.

samples here http://www.4everfit.com/protein-powder/4everfit-protein-powder-sample-pack-6-x-30g.html

but the best by is at Vitamin world.

4EVERFIT Fruit Blast the Isolate

DETAILS

• BUILD LEAN MUSCLE
  • BEST TASTING Protein AVAILABLE
  • ASPARTAME FREE (ONLY SUCRALOSE)
  • MIXES INSTANTLY
  • 23-26 G OF Protein PER SERVING
  • ZERO FAT & ONLY 1 G OF CARBS
  • TROPICAL MANGO, CRAN-RAZZ, STRAWBERRY-KIWI, TANGY ORANGE, GREEN APPLE, BLACK RASPBERRY, LEMON ICE TEA FLAVORS

hey even have a natural with 21 gms pro I might try

100% Natural - Fruit Blast the Isolate

DETAILS

• WHEY PROTEIN ISOLATE
  • NATURAL FLAVORS & SWEETENER
  • GREAT TASTING
  • MIXES INSTANTLY
  • 21 G OF Proteins
  • ZERO FAT AND ONLY 100 CALORIES!

Click on a product image below for individual nutritional information, ingredients and directions

Guest Rosalind

Try GNC's low carb whey Protein which is 80 something calories per scoop and mixes well. I love the chocolate plus when you work out it feeds muscle and reduces soreness.

My surgery date is 12/15 and I'm starting to panic about what to eat right before and after surgery, LOL! I have one huge worry:

I really loathe the taste all kinds of artificial sweeteners (sucralose, aspartame, acesulfame potassium, neotame, you name it-- even natural Stevia). Sometimes the flavor of aspartame or saccharine even makes me throw up. Bleah.

Am I going to be able to make it on unsweetened Protein Drinks, or am I going to be up the proverbial creek? How nasty ARE unsweetened Protein drinks and supplements? Especially during the liquids only diet pre- and post-surgery, is this going to be a serious problem? Do I have any natural protein options that would be salty instead of sweet? I am such a salt-aholic.

Finally, if I'm stuck with artificially sweetened shakes, which ones that do have artificial sweeteners have the least fake-sweet taste? Any recommendations?

Thanks. :-)

Cara

I love nectar Protein, muscle milk light, pure protein, adkins- I havent really found many to be "that"bad.. Not that I would want to spend the rest of my life drinking them but in small doses they are not bad.

If you go to the food forum, there is a thread called something like "rate your Protein drinks"

Tiffy found one that is not particularly sweet. (I don't remember the name of it)

Muscle Milk is pretty sweet. I don't think there is an unsweetened Protein Drink. I am not sure if the GNC unflavored that I got for right after surgery is sweetened or not. If you have a Vitamin Shoppe or GNC you can usually get samples or take back what you don't like.

I purchased EAS pre-made chocolate shakes from Wal-Mart. I enjoyed it for the most part, I'm going to try the strawberry next. I believe GNC carries this brand also. Is the powered any different from the premade?

I think the powders are better than the premade for the most part. You can use Water, milk or soy milk to help change the flavor or up the Protein with the powder. You can also mix flavors or add extracts or PB2 to mask the whey flavor, which can be strong sometimes. I started out with milky flavors, but now use only fruity non milky... just like them better. I use 4-ever-fit and really like it. Not tooo strong. low cal, low carb.

Good morning to all! I'm almost 2 weeks post-op and really getting tired of drinking cold Protein Shakes. So I googled," if I nuke my RTD Protein Shake in the microwave, will it loose its Protein? " And surprisingly, it says, NOOOO! So I tried and nuke half of my strawberry shake. It came out warm (that's was the idea, right?), better and took out that after taste BUT I noticed it got a little sweeter. But maybe adding a little Water in my next batch....At least now, I enjoy drinking my protein shake. AND also if I can only I can find a coffee/latte flavor in the regular store.....

@md071273- That is sooo good to know- I'm 2 weeks out too- and would much prefer something warm. My Walmart has the adkins Mocha Cappachino shakes- they come in a 4 pack and are really good because they have real coffee flavor- I have frozen them for a slushie (pre op) but have never tried warming them. They are very tasty and have a slight taste of coffee- I have added Decaf instant coffee to mine as well when I make a smoothie-

Also Syntrax has a cappachino flavored powder that is good with warm milk and you can add some decaf instant coffee for a extra boost- now mind you I have not done this post op yet but but did do it post op after my lap band.

You can make Protein hot chocolate. Take whatever Protein Powder you like, and mix it with a little Water, maybe 1/4 cup. Whisk it and get all the lumps out. Warm up some sugar free Swiss Miss (or whatever SF hot choc mix) and slowly add the mix with the Protein Powder.< /p>

This works better than trying to warm up a Protein Drink which will get lumpy and weird.

You can order Protein hot chocolate onine but it's kind of expensive.

I am 6 mth post op and I still take Syntrax nectar Protein.. google it and look for samples before you invest lots of money in it. It is not for everyone but I love it!!!!

nectar saved me!!! I was not getting enough Protein in so I ordered samples of them on mybariatricpantry.com. I cant believe how good they are. I hate regular Protein shakes. THe consistency, taste, and lack of being able to mix well made me hate them. The nectar ones dissolve in liquid and are not thick. I mix the regular flavors like peach and lemonade with Water, and the rich flavors like chocolate truffle and strawberry mouse with milk. They are incredible and absolutely worth the price. I will never buy any other protein again!