Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hospital stay....Is one night stay enough??

I've read alot of your posts where you've had 2, 3 or more night stays in the hospital. My doctor only does a 1 night. Just wanted to see if there were others that only stayed one night at the hospital and did you feel it was too soon to go home. What was your experience?

Thanks

Michelle

I stayed one night, and the following night at home WAS ROUGH - for me at least. I wish I stayed 2 nights, but had the same situation as you.

WALKING is a huge step in the recovery. Get up and do it every few hours. I was the only person walking on my entire floor (full of sleeve patients).

I was also only one night. My night in the hosptial was bad as my room was right outside of the nurses desk and they forgot to turn up the heat when I got to my room, so I was cold all night. But I walked almost every hour. I don't think there was another sleeve patieint so I had the hallways to myself. I was released by 10 am the next morning, My DH and I went directly to Walmart to fill my prescriptions. I went home and took a nap then we went to a park and did a small walk. Since I had no complications-no gas/nausea-One day was fine for me. I also had a hiatal hernia repair.

I 'm glad I stayed two nights in the hospital. The day of and after surgery was miserable for me. I spent the majority of the day and night either dry heaving into a bucket or sleeping with my head IN the bucket. My doctor decided not to discharge me because I was having such a hard time holding down even the smallest sip of liquid. I was given anti-nausea meds which helped me relax a little but I still found myself reaching for my trusty bucket frequently. The second night I was able to sleep most of the night and by morning I had recovered enough to begin holding down some liquid with the help of the anti-nausea meds.As far as pain, I had some in the hospital and the doc sent me home with Percocet but I haven't taken any pain meds since I have been home. The only pain I have is tenderness at the incision sites. I believe it depends on the person ... having read many posts on this website (as I'm sure you have) everyone has a different experience.

I was supposed to be just i night but ended up staying 2. I had a hernia repair also. I was in a lot of pain and very weak. I did get up and walk every couple hours, but the dr did not like how I looked, and i had not had anything to drink/eat yet so he keept me another night.

I would have been miserable if he would have sent me home the next day. I don't have much tolerance for pain though.. everyone is different..

good luck to you !

I did one night and I feel like that was plenty for me.

I drove myself home two days after surgery and was walking around the block in my neighborhood after 3 days.

I never threw up once (THANK GOD...it was my worst fear).

I agree that walking is key. Muscle discomfort and gas pains are probably going to be the biggest factors but movement is very important.

Good luck! You'll do great. :)

I only stayed 1 night and I was GLAD to go home. I never sleep in hospitals even with the pain killer. I walked a lot too. It is the BEST thing for you! No matter how you feel WALK!!! Just remember when getting out of bed to put your legs down then lift yourself. It was a little painful but SO WORTH sleeping on my Tempurpedic bed at home!

GOOD luck and KEEP IN TOUCH!!

I think it's totally different for different people. I had my bags packed, and was dressed and ready to go HOURS before my doc got there to check me out. But, I had no complications, and not much pain, so to me it felt like plenty of time. I just really, really wanted to go home!

One night. The worst was over and I went home. I was lucky to have a recovery nurse that really was on top of everything I needed to do to get checked out after one night.

It really depends on each person, I had lots of gas and pain. I did walk every hour or so and it did help but the doctor decided it was best for me to stay a couple of nights. I stayed 3 nights in the hospital and that was OK by me.

I was happy to go home after one night. I breezed through the whole experience and didn't feel like I needed to stay any longer than I did.

I was in the hospital just one night. I didn't have any gas or really any kind of pain. As a matter of fact I felt so good after surgery I thought at first they have not done the surgery. So WHY stay??? I felt more comfortable and relaxed at home.

Good luck. :D

Deb B)

It really is different for each person.

I had my surgery outpatient and went home the same day. It seems like that outpatient is becoming the norm around where I live and where I had the surgery (Vegas)/

I did have pain, but I don't think a hospital stay would have changed that. If you already have approval for one night, your doctor should easily be able to get 2 if you require it.