Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Worried that I have messed up my sleeve

I am two months out and I feel like I can eat too much food now. Is it possible that I have stretched my sleeve out this quickly? Should I do the 5 day pouch test?

I have lost 30 pounds so far, but I am really worried that I can eat too much. I didn't lose any weight last week and I think it is because I am eating too much. I can't eat as much as I used to before the sleeve, but I can eat much more that I could. I still can't gage how much I should be eating. I can easily eat a cup of food at one time. is this normal?

I would really appreciate some feed back from those with experience. I am really worried that I have messed up!!! Help! :(

Can you give us some examples of your daily intake? I don't think we can really "stretch" our stomachs.

Can you give us some examples of your daily intake? I don't think we can really "stretch" our stomachs.

For example, I can eat 3 or 4 oz. of meat and 1 cup of veggies at a time. Is this too much at one time? I just feel like I should not be able to eat this much at one time.

Well if I eat 3 oz of meat I am done for! Ask your doc what size sleeve he gave you. However, you are NOT going to gain weight on 3 or 4 oz of meat and a cup of veggies!

Well if I eat 3 oz of meat I am done for! Ask your doc what size sleeve he gave you. However, you are NOT going to gain weight on 3 or 4 oz of meat and a cup of veggies!

I will ask him next visit. I know that I had a huge hiatus hernia that he had to fix at the same time. He said it was the largest he has ever seen. I wonder if that effected the size of the sleeve.

Sounds like you can eat a little more but you are also at the time to have a stall so I wouldnt' sweat it.

IB,

Honestly, one cup of dense foods does sound like alot for 2 months out. I could barely eat a few bites of solid food at a time at that point. But as you can see from the posts on VST, there are alot of individual differences in sleevers' capacities.

I don't see how you could have stretched your sleeve unless you have been consistently eating to the point of extreme discomfort every time you eat. If you're eating until you get your full signals, then you've probably got a bigger sleeve than many of us. I've heard that something as odd as your height can affect your sleeve capacity - like taller people might have a longer stomach and therefore a bigger sleeve. Like you said, the hernia repair could have influenced what you surgeon could do with the stomach size. You will have get some more definitive answers from the doctor at your next appointment.

I don't think any of this is a deal breaker for you. You can still lose a lot of weight, as another person mentioned, eating the amount you eat. Just keep in mind that your sleeve will relax/stretch to some degree over time. By 6 months out, you will most likely be able to eat noticeably more than you can eat now at 2 months. Be vigilant about acknowledging your full signals and stop immediately when you get that twinge.

Also, set time limits on your meals. If it's taking you an hour to eat that much food, set a firm 1/2 hour time limits on your meals. If it takes you 30 minutes to eat a cup, cut the meals to 15 to 20 minutes. You will probably find that if you throw away what you haven't eaten after that time limit, you won't really still be hungry without the extra food. You should still feel satisfied at least for a few hours. Remember, we don't have to eat everything that's in front of us just because it's there. This was a big weak area for me preop, and I"m still fighting with it - even when my stomach is protesting. I've learned that leftovers are my friend and they save me lots of money on food. :D

As you already know, you've got to watch your carb intake. Supplement with heavier Protein drinks and this should cut down on your desire to eat as often. Unfortanately, you may have to work harder at this than sleevers with a small stomach capacity, but you can do it. :cheer2:

That is quite a bit more food than I can eat even at 20 months out unless I eat for over an hour then I can fit about that much in, and I would have to sip my drink in between with a few breaks in there.

The 5 day pouch test is only going to rid your system of carbs. There is no way to shrink your stomach. The hiatal hernia repair will not effect the final size of your sleeve. Surgical technique and your own anatomy play a huge role in how much you can eat(length of stomach specifically).

At 2 months out, I was lucky if I could get in 2-3oz of mushy meats, or about 6oz of yogurt (separately).

There's a few things you can do.

1) Do not stretch your meal out over more than 20 minutes

2) Eat Protein first, and do not eat more just because you can

3) If you are experiencing hunger, try filling your sleeve with Protein dense foods.

4) Log your food, and make sure you are staying within your calorie/carb/protein guidelines, if you are going over, or are under, reevaluate your food choices and make the necessary changes.

You've done really great with your weight loss so Celebrate that success. I kind of live by the mantra of "Just because I can, doesn't mean I should." I can eat a lot of junk food, but I have to make the "best" choice.