Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve-related fears

I didn't realize how silly this was until I related it to my counselor the other day. He asked me how I've been doing with weight, and first I said I was terrified of gaining weight and told him about our trip to the mountains the weekend before where I ate a ton of sweets, drank daiquiris, etc. Then I felt like I could grab more skin/fat on my stomach than usual the day after, so I was absolutely convinced I put on a bit of weight. Then I got home, got on the scale, and I was actually down a pound! Then under the same breath, I told him about how I'm terrified of wasting away because of my sleeve, and how I don't want to end up a bony size zero or something. Then I realized how funny it was that these 2 fears can somehow coexist in my head at the same time and not contradict each other. I guess if I put them all together under the umbrella of "fear of the unknown," it starts to make more sense.

I have no professional guidance on this but, I think maybe "fear of the unknown" may have been the subconscious impetus for my recent bout of slider binging.

Get out of my head! Lately I have been having those same thoughts.

I am still huge by anyone's standard, but I have already lost 110 pounds, and it seems ridiculous to me that I am thinking (mildly worried) that I might not be able to stop losing weight and will end up a skin skeleton, then in the next thought I am worried I will stop losing weight and never get down to a "normal" size. You are right that having those opposing thoughts at almost the same time is odd.

I think that it is perfectly normal for you to have those thoughts at the same time. For the month of January, I was under a huge amount of stress. Pre-surgery how I would handle this, would be for me to eat. Being that I am sleeved, I couldn't do that and not being able to handle eating what I wanted was just as stressful as everything else that was going on in my life. If anything, it made it more stressful. I am still seeing my counselor because I am choosing to. I do not know how this tool that I now have is going to affect me in the long run. For so long we have been programed to expect a gain when we go on vacation, eat when we are stressed and then in the same breath, worry about not eating enough and being a size zero.

I think that you perfectly normal. People may think that just because we have the sleeve that it is going to be smooth sailing but in reality, I think that we have it harder. We have to totally reprogram ourselves and totally change our lifestyles.

I definitely have the fear of the unknown. I really honestly don't want to get too thin, my build I think doesn't become me at all. I've been too thin before, so I know its true. I just want to be fit and healthy. I want to be able to sustain a marathon someday - but turning myself into a runner I will be on the thinner side. It might be a difficult balance, as its already seeming difficult to stop losing with the sleeve.

I'll just have to figure it out when I get there. However, I'm thinking I'll start thinking about stopping once I get to about a size 8, not caring how much I weigh. I'm a 14 right now so I'll begin my pondering in about 3 (6) more sizes.

To be honest, I have never worried about loosing too much... it has never occured to me that, that will happen! i do worry that I won't lose enough though...

Not to scare any of you- I have a friend that has the lap band- and she had lost a lot of weight - so she had a full body lift and boob job- but then- she just kept loosing no matter what she ate- and has lost probably 20-30 more lbs and cant keep it on- she is very thin- so that is a fear i have also- all the while thinking it wont come off either when I get sleeved. So I think it is something- that you should be aware of but try not to worry to much about-

I actually wish I had this fear! The truth is that my fear is the opposite, I guess I don't have enough faith in the sleeve because I think that I may not really believe (yet) that even getting near goal is possible, let alone exceeding it. :(

I don't worry that I will get too thin.... but I really worry that I will regain the weight (or at least part of it) back.

I used to be a binger and as time goes on... that kind of lifestyle becomes more possible. I have had a few slider binges and it scares me. Thankfully I get a little dumping when I eat too much sugar so that will keep me away from the Cookies and ice cream.

I'm careful, I work out, and I have worked hard at not just loosing weight.... but creating a healthy lifestyle.

I guess our fears will haunt us for some time to come.

I don't worry that I will get too thin.... but I really worry that I will regain the weight (or at least part of it) back.

I used to be a binger and as time goes on... that kind of lifestyle becomes more possible. I have had a few slider binges and it scares me. Thankfully I get a little dumping when I eat too much sugar so that will keep me away from the Cookies and ice cream.

I'm careful, I work out, and I have worked hard at not just loosing weight.... but creating a healthy lifestyle.

I guess our fears will haunt us for some time to come.

I'm 7 months out and am terrified that the real weight loss is over! The previous month, I lost only 6 lbs. Then last month, only 3 lbs. I try to exercise every day, I try to keep the calories down, I try to keep the carbs down (below 40) and I am nowhere near goal. It is all very very very very depressing.

I am 6 months out and am a bit scared that this is it. It won't be to bad if I don't get to goal as long as I don't put on any weight, I'm just so used to dieting, losing weight(never this much though) and putting it all back on. I guess that will always be a fear for me, so I have to try and keep eating within calories and healthy and exercising!

I'm 7 months out and am terrified that the real weight loss is over! The previous month, I lost only 6 lbs. Then last month, only 3 lbs. I try to exercise every day, I try to keep the calories down, I try to keep the carbs down (below 40) and I am nowhere near goal. It is all very very very very depressing.

I'm really scared about the real loss being over too. I am loosing about 2lbs per month. I'm really really close to goal, so if I can keep it up for just a few more months I should get there. But every month I think "what if this is the month that I dont loose at all"

We are all so conditioned to believe we can't succeed.... diet after diet after diet....

I am actively working on changing my thinking. In the mornings, before I do anything else, I reframe my thoughs.... focusing on the success I have had, and not on the sense of failure at not reaching goal. Its an active process.... but I think its helping. I feel a little less panicky and stressed about the whole thing when I do this.

I'm really scared about the real loss being over too. I am loosing about 2lbs per month. I'm really really close to goal, so if I can keep it up for just a few more months I should get there. But every month I think "what if this is the month that I dont loose at all"

We are all so conditioned to believe we can't succeed.... diet after diet after diet....

I am actively working on changing my thinking. In the mornings, before I do anything else, I reframe my thoughs.... focusing on the success I have had, and not on the sense of failure at not reaching goal. Its an active process.... but I think its helping. I feel a little less panicky and stressed about the whole thing when I do this.

I think this is such a good idea, "actively working on changing my thinking"! Lately I have noticed a lot of panic and fear that I won't lose weight. I think this would really help! Thanks for sharing that!