Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Taste and Smell Sensitivity?

I am almost 4 weeks out and just started mushies. Not doing so well though. I have a huge taste and texture issue, so I haven't been able to tolerate Protein Shakes. I was so looking forward to starting pureed foods so I could try and get more Protein in. But, to my dismay, it's like I have hyper sensitivity to smell and taste these days...instant nausea. Anyone else experiencing? If so, how long did it last?

It wasnt so bad for me (I am now 10 weeks out post op) but I notice that my taste buds seem to have changed as also my nose. Some smells really bother me while others that used to dont... Not sure what to make of it. How can cutting out a part of your stomach bring about so many changes that seem totally unrelated? Anyone got an answer from their doc? Mine just says it can happen but cant seem to explain it.....

Can you start chicken now? I am especially fond of grilled chicken... it seems to help with both the texture and smell....

I am almost 4 weeks out and just started mushies. Not doing so well though. I have a huge taste and texture issue, so I haven't been able to tolerate Protein shakes. I was so looking forward to starting pureed foods so I could try and get more Protein in. But, to my dismay, it's like I have hyper sensitivity to smell and taste these days...instant nausea. Anyone else experiencing? If so, how long did it last?

I have noticed an increased sense of smell. I'm 4 weeks post op today. I have no idea why it's happening , but I'm relieved to hear others have experienced this.

same thing happened to me, it happened whenever I let myself go too long without eating. Monitor how often you are eating and what you are eating. That is what changed it for me.

OMG this is SO TRUE!!!

Yep, I actually had a LOT of problems with stuff I just love tasting revolting after surgery. I'm going on 3 months post-op and I still have issues.

While I hate it I realize it is actually in my favor as I am not craving foods any more - or when I do and actually get a taste and immediately turned off and stop eating.

It's a mixed bag.

I'm almost 6 months post op and my senses are just getting back to normal. I think it has somethin to with the anesthesia as well and them removing part of our stomachs. I still can't stand the smell of the some things and I can't drink plain Water :(

I am almost 4 weeks out and just started mushies. Not doing so well though. I have a huge taste and texture issue, so I haven't been able to tolerate Protein shakes. I was so looking forward to starting pureed foods so I could try and get more Protein in. But, to my dismay, it's like I have hyper sensitivity to smell and taste these days...instant nausea. Anyone else experiencing? If so, how long did it last?

I don't like hardly any of the Protein drinks, except one. Try Carnation Instant Breakfast (or store brand for 5 grams of protein), add your 8 ounces of milk (8 grams of protein), two ice cubes and you can add one or two tablespoons of instant non-fat dry milk (9-18 grams of protein), and to bump up the protein more you can add a tablespoon of creamy peanutbutter (4 grams of protein) and put it all in your blender or I use a Magic Bullet. It does not have that nasty thick Protein Drink consistancy or aftertaste. This gives you 26-35 grams of protein and is delicious!

If you like cream of Tomato Soup, add some cheddar cheese to it. I take chicken add some chicken Soup starter and Water. Then mix some flour and cold Water and stir it in the hot chicken with broth. I started eating this on mushies, just chewed it well and had no problem with it.

Hope this helps you!