Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need to know....

Okay all you post-opers...I go in tomorrow morning at 7:30 a.m. to be sleeved and I am so happy, nervous, excited and SCARED!! I went for all my blood work on Thursday and the anesthesiologist came in and talked to me, he said that 10-20% of the patients remember the breathing tube because of the pain associated with breathing....

I just want to know what I may expect after surgery, not just the pain, but everything. Is is going to hurt bad? Did you have trouble breathing? Did you have a lot of throwing up? How long were you in the hospital?

I want to know it all....would rather be prepared!

Here my very detailed experience:

http://www.verticals...-vsg-experience

Most likely scenario:

Your throat will be sore.

You'll have trouble breathing, but it goes away after 5-10 hours.

It'll hurt pretty bad when you wake up, but after the drugs kick in, not really at all (until you move around).

I was out of the hospital after 24 hours, and could walk around normally with little pain.

Your mileage may vary.

Make sure you WALK, even if they don't force you to. Two laps around the nurse station every few hours. It'll speed up your recovery exponentially.

First off, EVERYONE is different with pain. The good news is that you have a supply of pain meds at your beckon call in the hospital. I have had a lot surgeries and I only remember one sore throat out of all of them. I do not remember any tube in my throat ever, with the exception of the upper GI I had years ago when the twilight sleep reversed before the doc got the scope out.

I personally do not remember recovery or getting to my room after the VSG . I remember periods of discomfort that were relieved by the pain pump I could press every 6 minutes and I got pain meds every 2 hours via my iv port on top of the pump. There is soreness afterward, like someone beat up the ribcage area and gas discomfort. Here I am 3 months later and I do not remember the pain in the sense of how it felt, just that I had some.

The real question here is,, "Do I think the pain was worth it?" YES and YES I would do it again knowing the wonderful feeling of the weight coming off. In just 3 months I weigh less than I have since high school some 20 years ago!

The nurses are a button push away, their goal is to minimize your pain, it makes their job easier and you very happy!

I was nauseous a few times, each time they were there with anti nausea meds, they don't want you vomiting.

Here is how my morning of surgery went:

Got up and showered with hibilcens they gave me, did it twice to make sure germs were at a minimum.

Arrived at the hospital around 530 am, checked in and was taken back to the surgical prep area.

They gave me a night gown to change into had to be naked underneath :( and a cup for a urine sample for one last pregnancy test.

Then I stepped on the scale for one last weight and then I got into the holding bed where they put little rubber nibbed socks on me and put a surgical hat on me and gave me a cough bear for post surgery and started an IV

The nurses asked all questions times 2, (safety check) and then the anesthesiologist comes in and asked them all again. He asked if there was anything I needed and I told him I was getting really nervous and he said they are about to give you something in your iv and you wont be nervous very long.

He was not kidding, because I don't even remember getting to the OR after that medicine.

The next thing I remember is the doctor telling me it went as perfect a possible, I heard him but I could not open my eyes or answer. The next thing I remember is waking up in my room, and yes there was pain but the nurse was right there and gave me the pain pump button and explained it as well as an extra shot of med right in my IV and then I slept again till 3 o'clock that day.

Yes, I think it's really good to realize that almost everyone has a different experience with pain. For me, I had almost no pain, but I had a lot of nausea. The only thing I remember around the surgery was the few minutes before surgery, and then dry heaving when I woke up (which wasn't pleasant, but wasn't painful, either). The period after that was a total blur. I don't recall leaving the recovery room, going to my hospital room, or most of the afternoon/evening after that. I woke up the next day fairly clear-headed and in very little pain. But, as Myrori pointed out, pain is different for everyone. Let's hope your experience is like mine!!

Here is my experience. I had liquid diet 7 days prior to surgery. The last day was Clear liquids only. That evening I had to take an entire botte of Miraliz mixed with my choice of liquid (gatorade) for a bowel prep. Not everyone has to do that. I arrived at the hospital at 5:30 am. I got into my gown and had to to give myself a lovanox shot (blood thinner). Again not everybody doctor's required this. I was wheeled into the prep op with to receive my IV and answer questions-this is standard that we understand what surgery we are having along with them having the correction patient. They gave me shot which relaxed me then I was wheeled to OR. I remember moving to the OR table. Then next thing I was in my room with my husband and they were putting on the leg thingies to prevent blood clots. I do not remember the breathing tube, the catherator and they were all removed before I got to my room. I never had a pain pump but was given pain medication via IV very 4 hours. They had on file additional pain meds if needed but I never took anything more. I did not have any serious gas pain nor any nausea. Again I had IV anti-nausea medication, acid reducer and antibiotics. After a short nap. My husband and I walked up and down the hall with my IV pump. He left by 2 pm. By 3pm I was walking up and down the hallways every hour (when not walking remember to plug in the IV pump or the battery will go low later that night). We were not allowed any food that day and could get only a dixie cup of ice chips every 2 hours. The next morning, I saw the doctor, received breakfast-chicken broth, apple juice. I was able to drink about 2 ozs. I was feeling really good and was released by 10 am. We took a drive to Walmart to get my liquid nexium and liquid pain medication filled. I walked the store while waiting. Went home and took a nap and later that afternoon, my husband and I went to a local park and walked around the lake (about .5 miles). I did have some pain when I extended myself but the pain pills helped with that.

Others have different experiences, but I am so grateful for this surgery. Today i was in the store and was able to try on a size L and it fit. . :D

Dustin - I had my surgery 9 days ago. I don't remember anything about the breathing tube at all. The worst thing for me was the thirst. I basically went more than 24 hours without liquid. The paid was manageable - keep on the pain meds for at least 3 days. I think it helps you get mobile and walking which is important. The recovery has been easy and so far I have no regrets. Good luck and God Bless!

Okay all you post-opers...I go in tomorrow morning at 7:30 a.m. to be sleeved and I am so happy, nervous, excited and SCARED!! I went for all my blood work on Thursday and the anesthesiologist came in and talked to me, he said that 10-20% of the patients remember the breathing tube because of the pain associated with breathing....

I just want to know what I may expect after surgery, not just the pain, but everything. Is is going to hurt bad? Did you have trouble breathing? Did you have a lot of throwing up? How long were you in the hospital?

Everyone is different with the pain and I found out every Doctor is different. For me the worst was waking up and my chest hurting but once they told me it was GAS I was ok. Walking helped that so much. YES you have a DRY mouth...VERY DRY. I was VERY LUCKY I didn't have any TUBES coming out of me.....just the IV! I just spent one night in the hospital and come home the next morning!!

I will tell you not to worry my 3rd day and my 10th days after surgery, I was SO SORE! I think the 3rd day...just like working out... you are always more sore the 3rd day. The 10th day because by then I was moving around a lot more. I did have to ASK everyone on this website because I was scared. That is ONE thing after surgery if you have ANY QUESTION you can ASK EVERYONE on this website. Everyone is so HELPFUL!!!

Good Luck and everyday gets BETTER!!!

I woke up like I did a major ab workout and its day 2 when its at its sorest. The worst thing for me when I woke up was that I had major cotton mouth. The only thing they would let me do is rinse my mouth. I wanted gum but what I did is put a wet guaze in my cheek so I could finish sleeping. That was gone by the afternoon. For me the first day was manageable everybody who had saw me that was having surgery that day said I"ll moving as good as her. Second day I rested alot more abit more sore, manageable though. Some of the others who had surgery with or before me were moving pretty good and were in good spirits. There was a couple who had nausea keeping them down. My surgeon was Dr Aceves his and team , I think they have a really great method that helps their patients recover quickly. IMO. I have had 6 babies so I would say this isnt much more painful than that. Dont worry youll get through it in you own way. God bless your surgery.

I didn't remember anything after the doors to the OR opened. Didn't even have scratchy throat. Yes the dry mouth is bad and I could have nothing not even a swab until about 10 the next morning. But it wasn't painful. I did have some discomfort where the drain tube was but the pain management was really good.

My first two days were rough. I had pain in both arms and shoulders (sort of an ache that wouldn't go away) and I had bad cramping. It felt like there was a hand around my stomach - squeezing every 30 seconds. It wasn't horrible pain but it did hurt and I wondered if it would ever go away. The left side was sore but once they took the drain out I felt much better. Honestly, I had a fibroid tumor removed from my uterus in August and when I woke up I was pleasantly surprised that this surgery didn't hurt nearly as much as that one! I was even more surprised when I got up to use the bathroom because it just felt like some sore muscles and once I was out of the bed it was fine. The last surgery, my abdomen was so swollen with gas and this time I hardly had any gas at all.

My throat was a bit sore and there was a blister on my lip where the breathing tube must have been lodged. The dry mouth wasn't as bad as I anticipated.... I was afraid of that first day but I ended up not wanting anything to drink anyway. I just had my chapstick by my side and was fine.

The real trouble started on day #2 when I asked for pain meds and they gave me the sublingual pain pill. Immediate nausea that lasted my entire hospital stay. I had to have them put the IV back in and give me drugs that way. I didn't have dry heaves or anything but I was scared to get to that point so I wouldn't drink anything. I couldn't get hardly any liquids down until about day #4 and by day #5 I was feeling fine and I've had no pain and no nausea whatsoever. No pain meds since I left the hospital.

I've had 3 major surgeries and one minor surgery in the past year and I would say that this one was by far the easiest and the fastest recovery.

I am 13 days post op and the only real pain I remember was in my left shoulder due to gas. That's really the only thing that bothered me much. I was lucky and had no nausea. The pain meds knocked me out most of the time. So I was in & out of sleep. Had to stay 2 nights in the hospital and then could not wait to get my IV out and go home. I still had a drain. I slept much better at home though, and never had to take any more pain meds after returning home. A little liquid Tylenol a couple of times, but that was it. I vaguely remember my throat being a little sore, but not bad at all.

Hi, to mimick everyone else...YES everyone is different. I am almost 3 weeks post-op and though I have no regrets, i am experiencing prolonged internal swelling. Back to that in a moment...as for the actual surgery, i was comfortable just before...afterwards, i felt pain (not discomfort) in my mid-section. I typically have a high tolorance but everyone kept telling me "oh it's not that bad, just tightness" BULL...it hurt, especially whenever i moved/talked/laughed/etc...

My 1st week post of was groovy. I was sleeved on Wednesday and went back to work on Tuesday...but because of my swelling, it's making it real difficult for me to get and keep virtually anything down (liquids, yogurt, popsicles). This past Friday, I had to go to the hospital because I was feeling extremely weak (probably because I was borderline dehydrated & vomititing). I stayed 2 days and felt better, but now still feel "ugh". When I had my EGD the day before they found a very small hernia in my stomach so they removed that during my sleeve...I'm thinking that's one reason (if not the reason) why my swelling is taking so long to go away.

But still no regrets...I KNOW this period is temporary...I've lost 25 lbs so far and believe wholeheartedly in my decision. Good luck to you and may you have a speedy and swifty recovery!!!!

I know Dusti is having her surgery today, so we'll have to wait to hear her story.

I feel almost guilty for the lack of pain and nausea I had post-op, compared to most of you. I have to wonder if it has something to do with the different doctor's methods...? My experience was almost exactly like what my surgeon and the anestheologist said it would be. Woke up in recovery with some achey pain in my left shoulde (Referred pain from the diaphram). I told them and they took care of it. I asked the anestheologist to hold my hand and she seemed suprized, but did. Then I remember asking her for a hug and she gave me one. She probably thinks I was crazy from the drugs, but I remember it clearly!

Almost no nausea, almost no actual pain...a little discomfort (hit that pain pump!), but on day one extreme weakness. When I went down for the leak test I was literally shaking out of my skin. The radiologist after he saw me, told the two techs they should have let me sit in the wheel chair instead of having me walk from the doorway into the room. Awwwww!

I've had 9 surgeries under general anesthetic and don't remember any breathing tube...EVER! I did have a sore throat after only one surgery.

I got the swabs the day of surgery for my dry mouth and I remembered you guys said "take your lip balm"....boy I'm glad I did!

your throat will be sore like you've been yelling alot, and you MAY feel like your lungs are sore when you take deep breaths, but pain associated with breathing? I never had that, nor did I have trouble with throwing up. I get 50mg Benadryl IV before my surgeries and that takes care of the throwing up stage, you kinda pass over it. . . I don't know if surgeons will give their patients this just because you want it, I get it because I'm allergic to versad and valium so they can't give me the "feel good" medication before surgery, so I get benedryl, works for me! Good luck! you'll be fine!