Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No Restriction with Fluids

Hey Everyone,

I'm 11 days post-op and feeling great. I have been very lucky to have had no nausea, vomiting, very little pain, and all around I can do all the things I used to do before surgery. I was wondering if anyone else this early in wasn't having any problems with their liquids. I can drink a bottle of Water fairly easily. I have very little restriction when it comes to water, crystal light, etc. I do have some restriction when it comes to cream of wheat, yogurt, S.F pudding. I just want to make sure my little belly is working right. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I have no restriction with fluids. I think about it as pouring Water through a straw--it just runs right through. Helps a lot in keeping hydrated!

I was the same way! I could drink as much as I wanted from day 1 post op. For a while I thought I may be overdoing it, but I sure was well-hydrated.

food was a whole other story though. Once I got to scrambled eggs, I fill fast. I used to eat 2-3 eggs, now I can manage 1. Same thing with meats, chicken and fish. Just can't eat more than about 3-4 oz.. salad on the other hand, runs right through like Water. But if I have any meat on it, I fill up fast.

Weight loss has been good though. Not as fast now as it was in the beginning, but with winter here and not hardly exercising like I was, I am glad to be losing at all. I lost 40 lbs on a high prot low carb diet between April and August. and was sleeved in Aug. Since then lost another 66 lbs. for a total of 106.

I am pretty happy about it. I have 94 to go. Have gone from a size 32 to a 24, which I know is still queen sized, but being 5'10" tall, I do look a LOT smaller now. Especially from behind, LOL, as I still have that extra butt in the front (pannus) but it's shrinking, too, although slower.

gg

I will be 4 weeks out this Tuesday and I can drink a lot as well. Wondered why so I'm glad you asked!

I'm so glad that you brought this up because I am feeling the same way. I am a week out from surgery today and I am getting in 64+ oz of Water in through the day without a problem. Have pretty much been doing that since release from hospital. I am supposed to be on Clear Liquids until Monday but by 7p today had only had 150 calories and couldn't take it any more so i blended a can of chunky baked potato Soup and was able to eat it without a problem. Slowly but the entire can. :blink:

Although i have incisions on my belly I was starting to think that maybe the doctor didn't really remove anything. I don't want to look for trouble but it would be nice to feel some restriction.

I would love to hear from some sleevers who are several months out on their thoughts on this.

Sue

I had my surgery jan 27th and when i eat Soups or pudding i get full after 2 oz but im drinking a chocolate protien shake right now and im not feeling full and i made a half glass of shake and i might have 2 oz left of it. weird but the scales are saying im losing 2 + pounds a day so im happy

I had no problems with liquids either. My doctor said it's because some people have a lot of swelling and some do not. If there is no swelling, everything just goes right down. Once you move on real food, believe me, the sleeve will show you it is there! I ate a few bites of chicken breast with a bite of salad tonight and I felt stuffed.

I was sleeved on 20 December and it has been only in the past 2 weeks that I am not feeling restriction drinking. I used to be able to empty a can of coke zero in 3 big gulps, but after surgery, it was taking an hour to sip through 8 ounces. I was feeling like I was spending all my time trying to stay hydrated. But, now, I am able to start gulping, Water now, and satisfying my thirst. This has been such a great feeling. As I was not really missing the food, I was missing the drink...

As for food restriction, I am still feeling a lot of restriction. I can eat no more than 4 ounces at any given time. Tonight, I went out to dinner with a friend (only the second time I have ventured out since surgery-- the first time made me very sick). I was so pleased to be able to order my favorite Indian meal, eat a very small portion, ask for a box and take the rest with me. All without getting ill! I did bring my own (very, very small) spoon, however ;)

WOW! I'll be 3 months post-op tomorrow and I still have restriction with fluids! I can drink more now then when I first got it but I still can't drink a lot! I LOVE my restriction but sometimes I do wish I could drink more!!!

I'm right there with you guys that can drink a lot. I can also down thin Soup pretty well too. I have never had any pain from eating or drinking too much. I do feel like "I'm done", I quit and thats it. I do get full taking my pills, so I think when I'm on denser food I will feel restriction. I get terrific gurgling, sounds like a lion growling, as the food goes down... I almost three weeks out (Jan 18th)

Yep, me too... in the early days I never had a problem with fluids and was glad about that... now at 7mths I can easily gulp down some Water or tea/coffee... and I am enjoying drinking water... yey!!

I'm at day #10 and the same. I have no problems putting away Soup or the Protein shakes but for some reason I'm not liking the Water as much (and I LOVED it before surgery). Water gives me hickups and makes me burp but not the Protein Shakes.... Weird!

**ANYONE - DOES THE WATER YOU HAVE IN shakes COUNT TOWARDS YOUR 64 oz?

However, when I try pudding or Jello I do feel the restriction. I can still eat the whole cup but I actually feel it sitting in my stomach and worry that I'm going past the 'full' stage but that hasn't happened so far.

My liquid problems, are usually my fault. If i drink normally, i have no issues. If i try and gulp i can get around 2 gulps down and then that restricted feeling kicks in for a few minutes. Everyone is different. So far, ive been lucky to not have any nausea.