Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are you experiencing thinning and or hair loss after being sleeved?

I was sleeved back on 10/13/10 and am down 86 pounds and doing great. Joined the gym and enjoying working out now that I have energy. But, I've noticed in the last month or so that my hair is thinning. I find it in the shower, on the bathroom counter and I have to clean the brush out two or three times while styling in the morning. Before surgery my hair was thin but it wasn't falling out or this thin. I know hair needs Protein to grow but as most of you know after being sleeved it's hard to get in the amount of protein or even the fluids you need to stay hydrated. But, back on the topic of protein.. I still drink one Protein Shake for Breakfast and I drink of something called a "protein shot" you can get a the Vitamin Shop", which has 42g of protein for a 4oz bottle. So, I think now and within the last two weeks I've been getting the 70g of protein my doctor wants me to get... now my question is will the hair start to regrow once I maintain the daily protein levels? I also have hypothyroidism which can also cause hair loss... double wammy. I haven't see my doctor since the middle of December but i do have my four month check up next week and I'll find out more from him on this hair loss/thinning issue. I am taking Biotein daily but I don't think it's enough. I also have an appointment with my thyroid doctor in two weeks so maybe my thyroid levels are off again. I did not see "you'll go bald" from getting sleeved when I was going through the pre process. Anyone else experiencing the same issues with their hair and if so what did you do? HELP!!!

sad.gifWhat you described about and the time frame post-op sounds like what is supposed to be happening, I am early out but I am already expecting this to come my way in the future. If you put Hair loss in the forum search tab it will pull up lots and lots of hair loss links. It may seem that you are balding but you're not, the girls say on here that the hair comes back, maybe not the same thickness and amount but it returns. Did you take zinc, Iron, and Biotin? I am though many say it does not help I at least am trying my best. Good luck and congratulations on your weight loss!

I was sleeved September 1st. I also have hypothyroidism. I just had an increase in my thyroid medicine. I have been losing hair like crazy for about a month. I try not to get too alarmed because I have seen it talked about and I know it will ease up eventually. It is nerve wracking when I comb my hair after a shower and I have a comb full! I'm 60 though and not really overly concerned with being a fashion plate anyway LOL! It will grow back eventually...Carole

thanks girls, but i feel like i want to cry with the amount of hair that is falling out. I dread washing it now because I know I'll lose hand fulls. Before surgery it was a lot fuller than it is now but I still have long curly blond hair. I keep thinking maybe a shorter cut would help but I just can't bring myself to got and get it cut off. I'm going to continue with the Biotin and try changing shampoo's and conditioners as well as talk to both my doctors within the next two weeks to see what else I can do. I've been on the Biotin since before surgery and I know it did help with the growth before the procedure but my body has gone through a major shock and still is so I'm hoping that it doesn't last much longer or else I'll really go crazy. My husband said to me yesterday when I mentioned to him that he could start messaging my scalp to help the blood flow that he's noticed the hair in the drain but he didn't want to say anything that he was waiting until I was ready to talk about it - and that unless he wasn't cleaning out the drain he would not know I was losing the amount of hair that I was. Hopefully he's telling me the truth and not just telling me what I want to hear.

thanks girls, but i feel like i want to cry with the amount of hair that is falling out. I dread washing it now because I know I'll lose hand fulls. Before surgery it was a lot fuller than it is now but I still have long curly blond hair. I keep thinking maybe a shorter cut would help but I just can't bring myself to got and get it cut off. I'm going to continue with the Biotin and try changing shampoo's and conditioners as well as talk to both my doctors within the next two weeks to see what else I can do. I've been on the Biotin since before surgery and I know it did help with the growth before the procedure but my body has gone through a major shock and still is so I'm hoping that it doesn't last much longer or else I'll really go crazy. My husband said to me yesterday when I mentioned to him that he could start messaging my scalp to help the blood flow that he's noticed the hair in the drain but he didn't want to say anything that he was waiting until I was ready to talk about it - and that unless he wasn't cleaning out the drain he would not know I was losing the amount of hair that I was. Hopefully he's telling me the truth and not just telling me what I want to hear.

sad.gifI want to ask you not to cry but I know I probably will soon too, I am thinking of making my own extensions when my hair starts to fall I'll start collecting-lol Did you know that Gelatin which is a Protein is absorbed quicker by the hair follicles than other Proteins, I learned this from people in the Dermatology field. Another thing I wan to mention to you is your physician or dermatologist has meds that actually slow down or stop the fall out, I forget what they are called right now but one sleever I know was on them and she said it helped tremendously. I really don't understand why when people have thinning hair and falling out hair they chop what they have left shorter...I would rather do extensions. Let me give you a glimpse of my future so you can feel better, I was was raised in Hawaii and danced the Hula throughout high school so you can imagine the type of hair I had to have well...when I noticed some falling out 3 years back and found out PCOS was the culprit I was so angry at this point I was losing every time I washed it, I started on GNCs woman multi and it slowed down, then the Nioxin and it reaaaally slowed down, so while I still have a lot of hair I know what's coming it will be a nightmare I am sure. If I don't go bald I will certainly come on here to share. Hang in there, have you seen Beyonce without the WEAVE? And she is BEAUTIFUL that's the way I look at it, if I end up with a wig and a hot little body I'll be alright. Keep smiling, stress not good for hair either!

Hairloss is not uncommon at all with this surgery - BUT it is temporary! For me, and from what I have read from other's posts, it started about 4-5 months postop and lasts for about a month. It will get better! I remember freaking out at how much hair I was losing and it is quite a bit thinner than it was before, but it is definately worth it when I think about the whole picture - I am extremely happy with my weightloss and if putting up with thin hair is part of it, I will take it.

I took all my Protein, and Biotin from before surgery... and still had Hair loss. Its still not stabilised yet, but I have noticed regrowth, so just keep going on about my daily routine. My hair dresser told me now to stop washing or brushing my hair.... the brushing stimulates the roots so will help with regrowth.... and when I wash my hair every other day I don't reckon I have any more loss than when I had to wash it every day due to swimming... but I have to wash it every other day due to grease build up.

I just got my hair cut - I had it a little longer than shoulder length and I believe the blow drying and pulling it back in a pony tail for exercise would increase Hair loss. So I just cut it off, and it is short now.

You have lost so much weight and your look has probably changed quite a bit, so it may actually work for you! I know I liked hair longer because I was able to hide behind it...I got a lot of compliments for my short hair, and I think a lot of those wrapped in the weight loss in a general "You look great".