Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would like to talk with others with BMI around 30 because I feel it is different phases of the weight loss. Would like to find out how long it takes with lower BMI to get to ideal weight?

I'm a lower bmi. My weight hovered around 185 mostly. However , I started this journey at 192 due to overindulging at the holidays. I was sleeved on the 20th and I've lost 12 pounds in 10 days.

I started with a BMI of 31.5. I took a lot of heat from the hospital staff-nurses etc many of whom were heavier than me. I just told them it is a cosmetic surgery and I'm fine with that! I'm only 3 days out so don't have any long-term experience. Just saying-I understand why you might want to do this.

Ideally I should be 50 llbs less than my starting weight. I've worked VERY VERY hard before and lost 30lb in 6 months only to gain it all back plus 10 lbs. I needed some freaking HOPE! I know I can control myself if I"m not hungry. But before I was ALWAYS HUNGRY.

My starting BMI was lower, but around 35...... I think its all relative size wise - the higher BMIs might loose quicker but then they have further to come down, if you look at it as a % of your body weight, for each extra lb you shift the lighter you become the more a % of your body weight it is... which is why its harder the nearer you get to your 'natural' weight.

I started with a BMI of 32.8 ... I made it to goal in ~9 months & then decided to go down 10 more pounds which took 2 additional months.

This is serious stuff & major surgery. But, for me, I knew I needed a drastic change and CHANCE at sustainable weightloss. I was a career dieter, but never a successful maintaner.

I started at 34-something. I actually hit my goal weight today. I think I'll try to lose another 5 lbs, as I have some inner thigh flab I'd still like to get rid of, but overall I'm a size 6-8 and pretty happy with my results. Overall, I've lost 63 lbs in just under 6 months, which is exactly what I expected based on the stats of other people before me who started in the 30-35 range (e.g. MINI-Me!). It seems that you can expect about 10 lbs a month on average if you have <100 to lose, but of course, there's personal variation.

I started at 34-something. I actually hit my goal weight today. I think I'll try to lose another 5 lbs, as I have some inner thigh flab I'd still like to get rid of, but overall I'm a size 6-8 and pretty happy with my results. Overall, I've lost 63 lbs in just under 6 months, which is exactly what I expected based on the stats of other people before me who started in the 30-35 range (e.g. MINI-Me!). It seems that you can expect about 10 lbs a month on average if you have <100 to lose, but of course, there's personal variation.

THAT IS SOOOOOOOO AWESOME. Congratulations! :D

Fantastic!clap2.gif

Hello Tabitha - are you considering VSG or have you been sleeved already?

I started off with a BMI of just above 33, carrying those extra pounds for years although I was not overweight all my life like many on this site. My sleeve was almost 4 1/2 months ago and I am have surpassed my surgeons goal by 5 lbs. My ticker below shows my goal weight of 145 and weight loss is close to current. I anticipate being at my personal goal with next several weeks. So at 5+ months out I hope to be at my goal losing over 70+ lbs. - forever!

My sleeve is a miracle as diets failed me too many times to count. Self hatred and loathing were constant. Yes, I was a total failure at each join of WW, JC, every magazine diet and other fads. I used my tool (sleeve) and followed the guidelines which are so much easier when you do not have the constant "hungries" all the time. Yes, iI still have to choose not to eat mashed potatoes, chips and candy at every turn but the overwhelming demand that my body used to shout is no longer my only consideration. I no longer hear (sometimes I hear it softly) the "feed me, feed me, feed me" chant. My surgery was a self pay as insurance would not cover me since I was not being treated for my co morbidities for over twelve consecutive months. I have no regrets with such amazing results. Good luck to you!

My BMI is just below 35 and I am getting sleeved in a week. I wasn't sure about it, because here in Italy you don't get sleeved with a BMI that is lower than 40, unless you have diabetes 2 (I have 1).

I joined an Italian website where everyone told me it was silly to get the sleeve with such a BMI and I should just lose my weight with a diet. HELLO?! If I could stay on a diet I definitely wouldn't be here!

Than I found this site and discovered that I am not a freak. So, I kept reading and decided to go for it. I am now sure it's the best for me, even if I am a bit scared now that the surgery is just one week away from me... I know I won't lose my 80 lbs straight away, I don't expect a miracle. What I want is a long term result which I can keep over the years (and that's what I haven't been able to do in the last 20 years!) and I am now sure the sleeve is the right choice!

I received alot of criticism for having this surgery with a bmi of 31.8. However, I wanted to lose the weight and keep it off and not feel like I'm starving all the time. When I was cutting back to 1200 calories to lose weight I had headaches and the shakes all the time. I'm not eating near 1200 calories now and I haven't had a headache or shakes. It's a miracle.

I received alot of criticism for having this surgery with a bmi of 31.8.

Hopfeully it wasn't from people on this site. Considering all of us who were/ are overweight have been judged their whole lives for being overweight I would be pissed if someone here decided to pass judgement because of someone having a low BMI and wanting VSG.

Thanks for writing everybody! It's so great to connect. I know without this I'd be over 190lbs plus for the rest of my hungry life. I remember what is feels like to be 140 and just WANT IT BACK.

Hopfeully it wasn't from people on this site. Considering all of us who were/ are overweight have been judged their whole lives for being overweight I would be pissed if someone here decided to pass judgement because of someone having a low BMI and wanting VSG.

Whoa cowboy! You just don't see those kind of comments here on this site...It's pretty well behaved round here.