Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When can I start going to the gym?

is there a standard amount of time you should wait before hitting the gym? I know Im only 5 days out, not wanting to do it yet, but I have been walking A LOT as much as I possibly can, but is there a time when I can look forward to working out again? 4 weeks post op? 5 weeks? just depends?

is there a standard amount of time you should wait before hitting the gym? I know Im only 5 days out, not wanting to do it yet, but I have been walking A LOT as much as I possibly can, but is there a time when I can look forward to working out again? 4 weeks post op? 5 weeks? just depends?

Your doctor should tell you at your next follow-up. At my nut class last week a post-RNY said he was at the gym 4 days after his surgery...he also ended up with a leak...not sure if it's related, but I'd be cautious of pushing too hard too fast.

My surgeon is a stickler for 6 weeks post op for anything more than walking. I did a LOT of walking in those 6 weeks (we have a treadmill). My normal workout is Curves, so I did take a 6 week hiatus from that, and once I was cleared at 6 weeks to go back, I pulled a muscle the first day. It took a full week to recover from the pulled lower abdominal muscle and I had to go back to walking only during that week. There is still one machine I avoid at Curves becuase I think it was the culprit of my muscle injury. lol. I'm 3 months out now and still avoid it. ;)

This question, however, is something you MUST ask your dr. about what their protocol is. I've heard some surgeons release as early as 4 weeks. I know the walking is boring, but it is preventing blood clots, getting you moving and helping with your whole system.

I was back in the gym after 1 week! My doc said it was okay and to just not push myself too hard! I walked for the first couple of weeks and then started to jog/walk by about 4 weeks and by 6 weeks I started abs/weights!

For treadmill and similar I would wait a week or two just to get your balance back. If that is not an issue it otta be fine asap.

For aerobic classes and lots of jumping or kicking I would wait at least a month.

For weight lifting or any type of workout that includes a lot of abdominal work I would wait six weeks.

Hope that helps.

My doctor told me the same thing as Mommy2girls, only walking for the first 6 weeks. I asked about doing yoga or pilates and he said not until I am 6 weeks out.

Next Monday is my 6 week marker, I am looking forward to working out!!!