Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Many Incisions and IV's Did You Have?

I have 5 incisions and 1 drain.

They ran 1 IV in my left arm before I went to sleep, and I woke up with another IV in my right arm and a foley catheter. They pulled the catheter the day after surgery (one of THE most uncomfortable things for a man) and they never did use the second IV spot once I woke up.

One time before I was discharged, they had to draw blood for a final test, and wouldn't get it from either IV site, so they stuck me 3 times (the nurse blew it twice on the back of my right hand) and finally went in and got it in that big vein on my right inside elbow.

A week after surgery, I went back and they pulled the drain.

Sorry to make it sound like a needlefest, but you may as well know the truth. I have a full blow PHOBIA when it comes to needles (totally irrational fear, even to the point where I get antsy when I smell rubbing alcohol) , but I the needles weren't all that bad. I kept telling myself that just a little bit of pain for a brief time will make a world of difference ... and it does.

Oh, I forgot, when they discharged me, they have me taking 2 shots a day (small bore needles, almost no pain at all) in the stomach for a blood thinner. I'll be on this for 30 days.

WOW I was SO LUCKY! I have 3 incisions you can see and 1 in the top of my belly button! My doctor told me that is where he pulled my stomach out. YUCK right??? LOL

1 IV and NO DRAIN TUBE and NO CATHETER. I went to the bathroom three hours after my surgery. It wasn't bad at all getting up but I've had eight surgeries for Kidney stones so the pain was nothing compared to those. I do have a very high tolerence for pain. I've had kidney stones since I was 15. Besides I knew I had to get up and walk in order to get rid of the gas pressure!

GOOD LUCK and I hope all goes fine for you too!

1 IV and 5 incisions. 3 of my insciions are tiny and you can barely see them now. One is about an inch and the last one is almost 2 inches long. My stomach was so huge he had to make it bigger to get it out :()

Good luck!

It's really interesting to read all your posts and see how different everyone's experience was!

As I type this, it is Monday evening and my surgery is scheduled for Wednesday morning at 7:30 AM. There is a huge winter storm headed this way. They are saying the first part is coming tonight through tomorrow morning. The second part starts Tuesday evening through Wednesday (surgery day) with high winds, freezing rain and over a foot of snow possible.

This is the biggest winter storm of the season so far. I've heard forcasters hint that it could be blizzard like conditions. The hospital is over half an hour drive on dry roads. If it gets as bad as they are predicting, I can't see risking hubby's and my life by driving through a blizzard on icy roads.

I guess we'll see what tomorrow brings and I'll start the day on Clear liquids. Another bump in the road!

I have 5 incisions, the largest one had a pain ball tube in it. My IV infiltrated the second day and they tried several times to re-start it (I had to take extra antibiotics and was hospitalized an extra day.) They finally put it in my upper arm. I also had four shots of blood thinner in my abdomen while there, but none since. They also drew blood samples twice a day. This was a week ago today.

Well it sounds like your original question has been answered, but I just wanted to wish you luck on your upcoming surgery. (and the weather) It is such a crazy ride, I bet you will do a great job!

Anna

It's really interesting to read all your posts and see how different everyone's experience was!

As I type this, it is Monday evening and my surgery is scheduled for Wednesday morning at 7:30 AM. There is a huge winter storm headed this way. They are saying the first part is coming tonight through tomorrow morning. The second part starts Tuesday evening through Wednesday (surgery day) with high winds, freezing rain and over a foot of snow possible.

This is the biggest winter storm of the season so far. I've heard forcasters hint that it could be blizzard like conditions. The hospital is over half an hour drive on dry roads. If it gets as bad as they are predicting, I can't see risking hubby's and my life by driving through a blizzard on icy roads.

I guess we'll see what tomorrow brings and I'll start the day on Clear liquids. Another bump in the road!

I live outside of Cincinnati and we are suppose to get that storm too, but nothing so far! Maybe it will miss us, and hopefully you too! I hope the storms behaves and you can get your surgery on Wednesday! Be safe!

I guess we'll see what tomorrow brings and I'll start the day on Clear Liquids. Another bump in the road!

Let us know how it went!