Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 week til surgery and I am a little freaked

I am going to have surgery one week from tomorrow. I am looking forward to it, I guess, but I am really freaked out in so many ways. I am freaked out because I find it so hard to believe that I will actually lose weight. I have been morbidly obese since I was 12, off and on. When I am depressed or upset, it is always there for me to comfort me. Now I am going to be divorcing it for good and just the thought is almost unthinkable! I am having surgery because I want to live. I don't want to die young. I have visions in my mind about people standing around at my funeral saying how sad it is that I died so young. I don't want to die young. My weight has me with diabetes and sleep apnea. Had back problems for years, but just in the last 2 months knee problems have started. I don't want this, yet I can't seem to break my connection with food. So...I'm having my body surgically altered to force myself into compliance. Might sound extreme to some, but to those who have been going through the same struggle, I know they understand. Hopefully, I will be successful. I plan to be, but in the back of my mind, I find it so hard to believe.

I understand how you feel. 1 week from tomorrow I will also be going in for the sleeve, I have never had surgery, broken a bone or anything else so I am freaking out over what to expect. I do know one thing though I am ready for the change. The best of luck to you I am sure everything will turn out fine.

I am a poster boy for what you are saying I too am having my suger on the 1st of February and I have to change too..I do understand at what you are going through, but you have to realize you have to make a step to be a better you. This is a journey with a long road to a better you. A you with little or no problems from being overweight . Good luck and please keep us posted..

Read ALL the SUCCESS stories on this website and you will all see what a GIFT the Sleeve is!

I too was scared before I was Sleeved but that is a NATURAL reaction! Nobody wants to go through surgery BUT sometimes you have to do what is best for YOU. For me it was getting SLEEVED! Even the doctor told my family after surgery it was a GOOD thing I did this....I have Visceral fat which surrounds the organs and it will CHOKE my organs if I'm not careful! I didn't know there was two kinds of body fat......Visceral(surrounding organs) and Subcutaneous (beneath the skin- about 80% of all body fat).

I was Sleeved on Jan. 11, 2011 because I want to be around for my daughters and someday.....in the FUTURE see my grandkids. LOL GOOD LUCK to you all and keep in touch!

I have surgery in 4 days. I can't belive it, I too am having all kinds of crazy thoughts running through my brain including a silly dream last night about surgery. I just want to get it overwith and IN know the benefits far outweigh anything I get to enjoy now. I have had surgery in the past, but I was young, and this time with age I think I am thinking things through a lot more, so I think of everything. I with I was blinder almost going into this. I am prepared though, my kids are older, so I don't have to worry about taking care of anyone when I get home. I am looking foward to it, but a little anxiety about the surgery and recovery itself. Just want to be through the first 6 weeks and eating regular food and exercising.

Good luck to everyone, take care.

I too am in the same boat. I will be sleeved on Saturday and am scared sh**less! I have never had a surgery, had an outpatient procedure that I almost passed out just from getting the IV placed, cyst removal almost brought on a fainting spell and now I am choosing to have a surgery! And then afraid of the work after. Not afraid to do it but afraid it won't work. What if I am the one person who doesn't loose w/the sleeve?

Where are you having your surgery done? I will be going to Dr. Aceves and surgery on 1/29. Best of luck to you and please keep in touch!

Nice to know I am not the only one who is having so much anxiety about the surgery! I have never been in a hospital, never had a surgical procedure done and the thought scares me. Thanks for all the well wishes! I truly appreciate the support and being able to vent about my concerns. I am the type that hates to worry my family so I can't really share much with them.

Emp, the GREAT thing about this website is you can SHARE ANYTHING you want with us!! The GOOD, BAD and UGLY we are all HERE to SUPPORT EACH OTHER!!! Have a GREAT day!

I understand the whole divorce of food. I hear that it gets better and that food doesn't rule us.

I have only been sleeved since 12 Jan and I am already feeling some freedom from the slavery of food. I guess the bonus is that I lost 10 lbs the first week out. I don't remember that happening before. I trust that things will get better and that I will be content with a slice of pizza instead of 8 slices...lol (kinda funny when you say it out loud) and able to share dessert with my sweetie. I look forward to that.

As far as sugery goes, mine went well. First day feels like you did a million sit ups and crunches and got hit by a truck. Get up and walk around and do your breathing exercises. Each day gets better and day three you get out....

I'm having my surgery in 2 days! I'm scared too, but I'm so ready to get started on this journey! I should have had this done 10-15 years ago!

The unknown is scary to everyone. Before I had surgery, dec 13th, I would have crazy weird dreams and held most of my thoughts and emotions inside. I didn't want my family or boyfriend to worry more. But I was scared. I had never had surgery, well I did get my wisdom teeth removed, I think that may count! So I was unsure of what really was going to happen. I read and still do look at this site daily. It helped me understand what others went through, what I could sort of expect and all of my questions and concerns got answered. I also read the blogs of some people who posted about their experience. Now there were a few things I read that freaked me out but those were not the norm. Each day gets better and better. You can do this. Just try to keep positive.

I am having surgery in NY. I guess you had your surgery yesterday, sorry I didn't get this until now, but I was in the hospital from early the 27th until 3pm on the 29th. Then not really up to anything until now. Hope to hear from you soon and how you are doing!!! Take care and it will get better. I guess today is day three, and much better, still sore, but much better. I am not sleeping through the night because I kind of nap all day when I can. A big bother is just my back getting sore from laying the same position all day and night. I really want to go downstairs and sit on the couch for a bit, but do not want the dogs climbing all over me. My bulldog was upset when I came home yesterday and came upstairs (we have a gate so he can't come up) and he cried for almost an hour I think. When I got home the two of them were so happy and jumping and trying to sniff, luckily they aren't big and couldn't even reach my stomach, I tried to love them as much as I could standing straight up, but couldn't reach my little dachshund. I felt so bad but just wanted to get upstairs and rest. My bulldog is a baby and always wants his mama or dada, I guess hard for him to understand. One of the nurses said they migiht sense something and be sensitive, but I think if I say on the couch he would be all over me. So, maybe in a couple more days I will cover myself with pillows in that region and let him sit on me. Anyway, sorry to go on about the dogs, but the kids and hubby understand, and the dogs don't quite.

Take care and get well soon!

I too am in the same boat. I will be sleeved on Saturday and am scared sh**less! I have never had a surgery, had an outpatient procedure that I almost passed out just from getting the IV placed, cyst removal almost brought on a fainting spell and now I am choosing to have a surgery! And then afraid of the work after. Not afraid to do it but afraid it won't work. What if I am the one person who doesn't loose w/the sleeve?

Where are you having your surgery done? I will be going to Dr. Aceves and surgery on 1/29. Best of luck to you and please keep in touch!

I am glad I am not the only one that is getting scared about our surgery. I go in on the 1st and the closer it gets the more bad dreams and nervous I get. I wish the day would just come and go so I can get some sleep and not be so emotional. It will be here before you know it.

Okay, I have had my surgery. Got to Mexicali and felt strangely calm about the whole thing. Everyone was so nice and i told them upfront I had a problem with needles and that generally everyone has trouble getting blood from me etc. The girl who drew the blood made me a little nervous as she was tapping around from arm to arm but when she finally stuck me, she was spot on and it didn't even hurt! I had some problems after the surgery with my blood pressure being high (really high) and it seemed that they were quite nervous about that but gave me the blood pressure medication and sent me on my way today. Unfortunately the weather didn't want to cooperate and now I am stuck in San Diego, wishing i felt better (more up to exploring) but also thankful for the rest before an 8 hour flight. Just wanted to let anyone who is thinking about having the surgery, do it! I met several people who came as support people for others having the surgery and they had had surgery 1-3 years ago and were very happy with their outcomes. Move over and make a seat for me on the losers bench :D

I am scheduled for surgery on 2.11.11 and I am starting to freak out. I am excited and scared all in one. I can't sleep throughout the night. I feel like a little kid at Christmas time (happy) or like someone that is worried about a pink slip (scared). I know that what I am doing is the right thing for me and my family. I know that as the weight comes off I will feel better about doing things with my son. I am excited about getting out to do things him. I won't feel ashamed to play and run around with him. My improved health will give me a new lease on life and better mom for my son.

I am headed to TJ by myself for my surgery. Most of my friends and family think that I will be out of town on a business trip. Little do they know I am going on a trip that will change the rest of my life.