Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wanting to help but how?

greg
Sign in to follow this  

Where do I start? The begining I guess, my wife started out with a band. It worked for 6 to 8 months. Then the slip, then it was fixed, then it slipped again, then it was removed. She lost 80 pounds with the band and was feeling great. Since the band removal she started gaining back the weight, in three months 30 lbs. The band was no longer an option, the last slip was bad and she waited a long time to go back to the doctor to have it removed. She was scare and did not want to gain the weight back (it broke my heart to see her cry herself to sleep).

She had the Gastric Sleeve procedure on 1/10/11. The surgery went fine, her recovery was slow, she was worried about leakage, doctor said everything is fine after the swallow test. She was in the hospital for four days, I do believe she felt safe in the hospital, now she is home. She did the Clear Liquids for the first week. She is doing the full liquids and is having a problem. She is having Jello, pudding and protien drinks, she is trying her hardest but its not working. Trouble finding what works for her.

If nobody reads this it is okay, it help to just jot it down. If anyone would like to comment It would be great.

I have a few questions:

Two weeks out, what are some foods that work at this time?

Has anyone dealt with pain after eating?

Is 4 to 8 ounces each meal enough or not enough?

I am confused and worried?

How nice that you are so supportive of your wife! You wouldn't believe how many husbands are not. I am lucky with mine.

With that said, my doctor wants me on clear liquids for 3 weeks postop. (I get sleeved on Monday.) This is to give the stomach time to fully heal. Perhaps your wife's stomach needs more time to adjust. I would suggest she go back to clear liquids, then try again in another week.

BTW, there is a forum here especially for family members of patients, although I think it is empty right now. You might enjoy connecting with other spouses here.

Good luck to your wife!

Where do I start? The begining I guess, my wife started out with a band. It worked for 6 to 8 months. Then the slip, then it was fixed, then it slipped again, then it was removed. She lost 80 pounds with the band and was feeling great. Since the band removal she started gaining back the weight, in three months 30 lbs. The band was no longer an option, the last slip was bad and she waited a long time to go back to the doctor to have it removed. She was scare and did not want to gain the weight back (it broke my heart to see her cry herself to sleep).

She had the Gastric Sleeve procedure on 1/10/11. The surgery went fine, her recovery was slow, she was worried about leakage, doctor said everything is fine after the swallow test. She was in the hospital for four days, I do believe she felt safe in the hospital, now she is home. She did the clear liquids for the first week. She is doing the full liquids and is having a problem. She is having Jello, pudding and protien drinks, she is trying her hardest but its not working. Trouble finding what works for her.

If nobody reads this it is okay, it help to just jot it down. If anyone would like to comment It would be great.

I have a few questions:

Two weeks out, what are some foods that work at this time?

Has anyone dealt with pain after eating?

Is 4 to 8 ounces each meal enough or not enough?

I am confused and worried?

I think the 4-8 ounces is a bit too much, I'm 9 weeks out and still can only hold 3 oz. Try to have ur wife cut back on the liquid and sip slowly and take a break before the next sip, that might help with the pain. At 2 weeks out if I remember right I stuck with Jello, popsicles and cream of chicken Soup but strained the chicken out.

Hello Greg,

I was sleeved one day after your wife but I only had to stay in the hospital one night. She maybe drinking too fast. When I drink too fast I get this BUBBLE in my upper center tummy right under my rib cage and it HURTS! At this time I'm only able to get down 3 to 4 oz when I have Jello, pudding, Soup or a Protein shake. Then I wait 30 before I eat that and after I have that before I start my Water again and then it is just SIPS.

ONE thing that REALLY helped me was a heating pad. I still put it on my tummy every night before I go to sleep. It really helps. I hope this helps! GOOD LUCK and THANKS for supporting your wife like this. There is LOTS of GOOD people on this website that will help you with any questions you have!!!

I am surprised with the quick responses, thank you. I am on my way home now, first night that I had to work late since her surgery. I will talk to her tonight about what I have read. I will try little amounts of liquid and diffently suggest the heating pad. I will let you all know how it worked out. I might have more questions and will be back to ask. Thanks again for your help.

I am surprised with the quick responses, thank you. I am on my way home now, first night that I had to work late since her surgery. I will talk to her tonight about what I have read. I will try little amounts of liquid and diffently suggest the heating pad. I will let you all know how it worked out. I might have more questions and will be back to ask. Thanks again for your help.

Hi Greg, well here is my 2 cents worth. . .I was sleeved a little more then 1 year ago and in the beginning it's really really tough. . . 2 - 4 oz is perfect (according to my doctor) to eat at each meal. . .drinking is really odd, but sip sip sip I have been told 1 oz every hour is good to drink but keep drinking. . . this is a different type of surgery really weird I had the biggest buyers remorse in the beginning for at least 3 months. . .you have to relearn EVERYTHING!!!! but it eventually comes to you. . .she is doing well as I see it (read it) just as long as she follows doctors orders she'll be ok. . . for me at 1+ year out I eat 6 - 8 oz at each meal and feel stuffed. . .I drink more then 64oz of fluids and i feel really good. . .i no longer have regrets that i this done but just remember it's a process of relearning and rethinking how you have to use this tool. . and remember it is only a tool. .. she'll still have to work at it. . . good luck and i hope this helped a bit. . .

drinking is really odd, but sip sip sip I have been told 1 oz every hour is good to drink but keep drinking

Greg, I think this is a mistake, it is 1 oz every 5 minutes, just sipped slowly. If she only drank on oz an hour she would not get enough Water in... or 1 cup an hour drank VERY slowly. Faster can give her pain.

Good luck to you and your wife!

<div><br></div><div>EDIT: I went bqck qnd checked my rules, it says go even slower than that... one cup every TWO hours at first... just take it slower than you think... it will get better soon... Good luck!</div>

Greg, I think this is a mistake, it is 1 oz every 5 minutes, just sipped slowly. If she only drank on oz an hour she would not get enough Water in... or 1 cup an hour drank VERY slowly. Faster can give her pain.

Good luck to you and your wife!

:o :o :o Oh dear me. . . thank you sooooooo much for correcting me feeyoureye, goodness (darn me) I'm definately not an expert on this subject, just my experiences , please the experts are here, they know better, this was just what i was told in the beginning. . .. . .

One more suggestion: some people tolerate warm liquids better than cold liquids. She might want to try hot tea or sugar free hot cocoa. I agree with the other folks, it takes time to get used to the sleeve, but it gets easier over time, and I think she'll be fine. The first couple of weeks are the toughest!! Tell her to hang in there!

The advise is great, and thanks again to all. It has been hard for her. I try to help her, keep on a schedule or suggest what to do. It is okay if she wants to take out her fustrstion on me, that what spouses do. If she hasn't killed me in 24 years of marriage she won't do it now. Anyway I do have questions, hope they do not sound stupid:

She tells me she is starving, thought the appetite was to be diminished?

Pain seems to be in different parts of the stomach area, not really a question more of asking if it is normal.

Feels exhausted, 2 complete weeks from surgery, Normal?

Anyone no of an easy protien food, the shake hurt her stomach.

She had seen the doctor yesterday and he said all is fine.

Thanks in advance for your help

:rolleyes:

The advise is great, and thanks again to all. It has been hard for her. I try to help her, keep on a schedule or suggest what to do. It is okay if she wants to take out her fustrstion on me, that what spouses do. If she hasn't killed me in 24 years of marriage she won't do it now. Anyway I do have questions, hope they do not sound stupid:

She tells me she is starving, thought the appetite was to be diminished?

Pain seems to be in different parts of the stomach area, not really a question more of asking if it is normal.

Feels exhausted, 2 complete weeks from surgery, Normal?

Anyone no of an easy protien food, the shake hurt her stomach.

She had seen the doctor yesterday and he said all is fine.

Thanks in advance for your help

:rolleyes:

HI Greg, well being 1 + year out I must say i am one of the unfortunates that never lost the hunger sensations. . . they have been there since day 1. . . this is where we work. . . we must overcome and not let our tummies rule . . . later on, the head hunger will be torture but we must fight. . . it's horrid I know but quite a few of us on this forum have to deal with this issue on a daily basis. . . some are more fortunate then others in that they actually lost the sensation. . .the feeling of exhaustion is normal. . .she just had major surgery and now has to tolerate less calories. . . take the Vitamins as directed and get a bit of exercise daily. . . not to the exhaustion point though, just some. . . walking a bit is good. . .soft almost cooked eggs are good or string cheese is good. . . some refried Beans are good too. . . she needs to remember that this is a learning p;hase, this is where we re-learn how to eat and drink, it'll be ok it really will be as long as the doctor says she's ok, and she's following the instructions that is wonderful. . . give her big hugs and tons of support cause in the early stages we sleevers just want hugs and encouragement smile.gif

Just to add to what others said above the full thing got better for me when I moved to solids. The mushy stage was hideous to me but it only lasts a short while thank goodness. Wishing wife and you the best! Glad she is ok.

Again i would like to start off by saying thanks for all the help. It has been a big help to my wife.

Back with another question:

This one is wierd to ask but if i can't ask it here than where? She needs to have some food that may bind her up alittle (that was the easiest way to ask). She is in the puree stage.

Again i would like to start off by saying thanks for all the help. It has been a big help to my wife.

Back with another question:

This one is wierd to ask but if i can't ask it here than where? She needs to have some food that may bind her up alittle (that was the easiest way to ask). She is in the puree stage.

As long as she's not lactose intolerant, I would say cottage cheese or other cheese, other Proteins like chicken or fish... Yogurt.... She may need some Probiotics.... you can get them in some yogurts.

Greg, I finally went out and got some veggies and made my own Soup....just blended them up really good. I went to this website to find Soup recipes http://www.bariatriceating.com/BEhealthnutrition/recipes.php.

I'm two weeks tomorrow and it really helped me. I also tried instant oatmeal and put some sugar free Syrup and it was SO GOOD BUT I could only eat 1/2 package...my husband eats the left overs. LOL