Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 weeks, doc dissapointed in weight loss

Im feeling slightly bummed, I had a post op checkup yesterday (its been about 6 weeks) The first week i dropped 10 lbs the second week I lost a couple more, and the 3rd and 4 week I stalled out gaining a pound. My weight loss picked up again on week 5 and iv been losing between 2-4 lbs a week since then, wich brings me to a total of about 22 lbs in 6 weeks I Know that my weight loss isnt great but I was expecting to hear your doing a great job, it will come off ect ect. from my surgeon. When he looked at my chart he sits down and looks really disapointed, the first thing he says to me is, typically the average weight loss at your stage is much more, whats the problem? I just kinda sat there and then he asked me what I was eating, I told him what I eat in a day Wich is around 500-600 cals and that i walk/jog 30-40 min every day. I dont know If he believed me or not but then he went on to say well some people just take longer to lose weight than others. I left that appointment feeling like crap. I have been trying to keep myself positive and reasure myself that it will come off in time but I really felt down on myself and frusterated he couldnt give me any suggestions on what to change he just told me to stick with the excercise and no snaking inbetween meals (which I dont do) I guess going into this I thought being so young (24) and in general good health I would be one of the people that looses the weight quicker than average not slower ,sigh, im just really down on myself now...

Lolli,

Let me be one of the first to encourage you! Do not let your doctor get you down. They just PRACTICE medicine and often time don't know what to say! This is a journey. Give your body time to adjust. Everyone is different. As long as you are doing all the right things, you body will eventually catch up.

STAY POSITIVE!

You are loosing and that is what matters! Some people do just loose slower then others, nothing wrong with that!

Have you met with a NUT to see if they have any ideas? How much Protein are you getting in? I have personally found that my Protein intake seems to affect the number on the scale!

Have you been taking measurements? Many times you will see it in inchs more then on the scale!

Good Luck!!!

I am sorry to hear that, I really am. It must be disappointing to hear that you are not doing good.

But on the other hand, I guess the doctor was just calling a spade a spade. He is a medical professional, what is he supposed to tell you? Would he really help you by telling you that you are doing great or even just good if you are not? From what you describe, he was not mean or rude, and I have to admit myself, if I am disappointed, you can see it on my face too - but it also means that he cares. I am only disappointed if something I care about goes wrong - otherwise, whatever...

I remember that my surgeon told me that 6 weeks out, they like to see a result of 25 pounds and up. You are only slightly below that. I am sorry to hear you feel like crap now.

I think there are cases where we need tender loving care and a pat on the back even if we didn't do a good job - but I think in this case, it may actually be a lot better if someone is givin' it to you the way it is so you can realize you have to change SOMETHING.

Does your doctor have a nutritionist? Maybe you should get in contact with her - you mentioned something about that and she said you are doing good. Well, your eating should have changed significantly within the last 2 weeks, did it? You said you didn't have to go through any of the recommended classes where we all learned about the proper eating and nutrition after surgery - maybe you are really not eating right? Maybe you can voluntarily go to those classes. I know if I hadn't gone I would be fairly lost about what to eat and just having a calorie restriction would not work.

Are you getting in 60g of Protein a day? Are you eating all your vitamines (Multis, Bs, Iron and posibly other)? Are you taking your Prilosec? Are you avoiding to drink you calories (aside from a possible low cal/low carb Protein shake)? Are you eating foods that "task" your sleeve or are you eating soft slider foods? Are you journaling your food and exercise - you may not even realize that you are off your goals without that? Can you give a detailed list of what you ate yesterday? There are a lot of people who are very knowledgable about foods and nutrition after WLS and I have the feeling that that is exactly where your problem may be...you are eating too much, not enough or the wrong things. Exercise is good, but first and foremost at this stage, proper eating is where weight loss is at.

Chin up, it'll usually get better but please take the time and analyze what you are doing - maybe with the help of this board - and together we can maybe get you on the right track to the magical land of losers!

how-to-draw.jpg

Im feeling slightly bummed, I had a post op checkup yesterday (its been about 6 weeks) The first week i dropped 10 lbs the second week I lost a couple more, and the 3rd and 4 week I stalled out gaining a pound. My weight loss picked up again on week 5 and iv been losing between 2-4 lbs a week since then, wich brings me to a total of about 22 lbs in 6 weeks I Know that my weight loss isnt great but I was expecting to hear your doing a great job, it will come off ect ect. from my surgeon. When he looked at my chart he sits down and looks really disapointed, the first thing he says to me is, typically the average weight loss at your stage is much more, whats the problem? I just kinda sat there and then he asked me what I was eating, I told him what I eat in a day Wich is around 500-600 cals and that i walk/jog 30-40 min every day. I dont know If he believed me or not but then he went on to say well some people just take longer to lose weight than others. I left that appointment feeling like crap. I have been trying to keep myself positive and reasure myself that it will come off in time but I really felt down on myself and frusterated he couldnt give me any suggestions on what to change he just told me to stick with the excercise and no snaking inbetween meals (which I dont do) I guess going into this I thought being so young (24) and in general good health I would be one of the people that looses the weight quicker than average not slower ,sigh, im just really down on myself now...

Yeah so what if you didn't lose to HIS expectation. . . everyone loses at different rates at different times. . . just keep on doing what your doing I think your doing great and are on the right track! PS Age has nothing to do with how fast or slow you lose, it's how much you had to lose and your BMI. . . good luck

I went back and forth in my mind whether I should reply again or not, but I kinda have to.

. . . just keep on doing what your doing I think your doing great and are on the right track!

So, you really think lolli is doing great? Do you really think she should keep doing what she is doing?

I know you are probably just trying to cheer her up, but in all honesty - she isn't doing great and with pretending she is I believe we are doing her a great disservice.

I don't think she wants a pep talk but tips and suggestions on how to do better and improve weight loss.

What the doc says is most likely not just "his opinion" but it is probably based on medical research, years of experience in the medical community and with his patients. No, his words are not the law but I don't believe he is just talking out of his a$$ either.

Pretending we are doing great and doing the same thing is what got most of us to morbid obesity - this journey is all about change, moving into a new direction and figuring out what to do and how to do it.

Have you tryed the low Carb (30 or less) diet. I stalled for about 3 weeks got angry and started low carbing it on Monday. It totally worked. My stall broke and I am down 2.5 lbs since Monday. That is awesome for me. It is worth a shot. Good luck.

To me it sounds like you need to eat more meals (small ones) and up your calorie intake. I'd write down every thing you ate and see where you are at in a week. To say he's disapointed and then not give you any info sucks. Like another person said I'd def see a NUT. Did you have the traditional sleeve or the plication? Who did your surgery?

I am sorry to hear that, I really am. It must be disappointing to hear that you are not doing good.

But on the other hand, I guess the doctor was just calling a spade a spade. He is a medical professional, what is he supposed to tell you? Would he really help you by telling you that you are doing great or even just good if you are not? From what you describe, he was not mean or rude, and I have to admit myself, if I am disappointed, you can see it on my face too - but it also means that he cares. I am only disappointed if something I care about goes wrong - otherwise, whatever...

I remember that my surgeon told me that 6 weeks out, they like to see a result of 25 pounds and up. You are only slightly below that. I am sorry to hear you feel like crap now.

I think there are cases where we need tender loving care and a pat on the back even if we didn't do a good job - but I think in this case, it may actually be a lot better if someone is givin' it to you the way it is so you can realize you have to change SOMETHING.

Does your doctor have a nutritionist? Maybe you should get in contact with her - you mentioned something about that and she said you are doing good. Well, your eating should have changed significantly within the last 2 weeks, did it? You said you didn't have to go through any of the recommended classes where we all learned about the proper eating and nutrition after surgery - maybe you are really not eating right? Maybe you can voluntarily go to those classes. I know if I hadn't gone I would be fairly lost about what to eat and just having a calorie restriction would not work.

Are you getting in 60g of Protein a day? Are you eating all your vitamines (Multis, Bs, Iron and posibly other)? Are you taking your Prilosec? Are you avoiding to drink you calories (aside from a possible low cal/low carb Protein shake)? Are you eating foods that "task" your sleeve or are you eating soft slider foods? Are you journaling your food and exercise - you may not even realize that you are off your goals without that? Can you give a detailed list of what you ate yesterday? There are a lot of people who are very knowledgable about foods and nutrition after WLS and I have the feeling that that is exactly where your problem may be...you are eating too much, not enough or the wrong things. Exercise is good, but first and foremost at this stage, proper eating is where weight loss is at.

Chin up, it'll usually get better but please take the time and analyze what you are doing - maybe with the help of this board - and together we can maybe get you on the right track to the magical land of losers!

how-to-draw.jpg

Its more frusterating to me that he couldnt give me anything to change. I get it that if my weightloss is this much slower than others that I must be doing something wrong, but what? Thats whats so frusterating. I did meet with a NUT and she told me that I was doing great also and then tryed to encourage me to get bread and Pasta (startches) into my diet wich I have NOT done. The NUT my doc recomends never answers the phone at the office so I have yet to get in contact with her. I have been getting a minimum of 60 g of protien a day. My diet is pretty much the same thing everyday I wake up and drink 16 oz of Water, have a greek yogurt for Breakfast (100 cal and 10 g of protien) then I have about 8 oz of Water, and a protien drink ( 26g of protien and like 90 cals) for lunch I usually have a string cheese (100 cals) and then another 16 oz of water, later i have another protien drink (26g 90 cals) and then for dinner I will have anything from some beef Jerky (80cals), 4 oz of mahi mahi (around 200 cals) or some ground hamburger some sort of protien but it never exceeds 200 cals (usually under 200) then I have another water and a Fiber One Bar (100 cals) thats my day everything is always the same except dinner changes slightly. Yes I make sure to get all my Vitamins (multi, Calcium citrate, and b12) I walk/jog around 2-3 miles everyday. Any suggestions?

Its more frusterating to me that he couldnt give me anything to change. I get it that if my weightloss is this much slower than others that I must be doing something wrong, but what? Thats whats so frusterating. I did meet with a NUT and she told me that I was doing great also and then tryed to encourage me to get bread and Pasta (startches) into my diet wich I have NOT done. The NUT my doc recomends never answers the phone at the office so I have yet to get in contact with her. I have been getting a minimum of 60 g of protien a day. My diet is pretty much the same thing everyday I wake up and drink 16 oz of Water, have a greek yogurt for Breakfast (100 cal and 10 g of protien) then I have about 8 oz of Water, and a protien drink ( 26g of protien and like 90 cals) for lunch I usually have a string cheese (100 cals) and then another 16 oz of water, later i have another protien drink (26g 90 cals) and then for dinner I will have anything from some beef Jerky (80cals), 4 oz of mahi mahi (around 200 cals) or some ground hamburger some sort of protien but it never exceeds 200 cals (usually under 200) then I have another water and a Fiber One Bar (100 cals) thats my day everything is always the same except dinner changes slightly. Yes I make sure to get all my Vitamins (multi, Calcium citrate, and b12) I walk/jog around 2-3 miles everyday. Any suggestions?

Only two things I'm wondering about your daily routine, what is your fat content on all that food you're eating? Also, is there any way you can change up your routine a little bit? I know our bodies get used to eating the same amount of calories day in and day out. You have to shake things up sometimes.

Also, if it's recommended you might need to start pushing yourself more on your workouts. It's only when I do this that my weight starts dropping again.

I personally don't think you are doing all that bad. It could be better - but then again it could ALWAYS be better!!!

All the best to you. This is a lifetime journey and you will figure it out. Take your NUT appts to heart - especially if they are trained in bariatrics. They can be extremely helpful. They've always helped me a great deal in the past.

:)

Well if it makes you feel better, i am down 20 lbs and i am 11 weeks out and i lost 10 the first week!! i am doing high protien low carb and drinking all my fluids and walking 30-40 min a day, i am 54 yrs old, but come on this sucks~~

I don't think she wants a pep talk but tips and suggestions on how to do better and improve weight loss.

Ok REALITY then . . .at 2 weeks I had lost 25 lbs at 7 weeks I had lost 53lbs, in 1 year I have lost 145LBs. . .what did i do? I followed the instructions given to me by the physician and did not stray from it. . .I did the best i could getting fluids down, exercising and not thinking that the sleeve is a cure all. .. i knew I had to work to lose this weight. . . . Lolli, i still think your doing good cause everyone loses at different rates. . some lose faster and some lose slower. . .just follow the instructions and the weight will come off. . . look at it this way, your losing right? the sleeve is working. . .

To me it sounds like you need to eat more meals (small ones) and up your calorie intake. I'd write down every thing you ate and see where you are at in a week. To say he's disapointed and then not give you any info sucks. Like another person said I'd def see a NUT. Did you have the traditional sleeve or the plication? Who did your surgery?

I agree, I would say up your calories to around 800, maybe add some greens? I can't understand why he would say that and give you no specific guidelines. I am a slow loser, but i decided to go for a healthy balanced diet and not as low carbs as some people, because I believe this is going to be the way I am going to eat for the rest of my life.

I agree, I would say up your calories to around 800, maybe add some greens? I can't understand why he would say that and give you no specific guidelines.

Well, from what I see he didn't say that he is disappointed, he just looked disappointed and then asked what the problem may be.

It seems like lolli is actually following the guidelines she was given weeks ago, but I do believe that as time passes, your guidelines and the diet should change. Your nutritionist told you a couple of weeks ago that you are doing good - but since it's now several weeks later, did you adjust your plan? I believe most of us have a plan for weeks 0 to 2, 2 to 4, post 6 weeks and in my case, foods and portions changed significantly.

I do believe you should up your calories and I believe you should try and eat more solid foods and rely less on shakes. This was perfect for a few weeks after surgery, but 6 weeks out you should start and eat at least more mushies if not real food.

I am a slow loser, but i decided to go for a healthy balanced diet and not as low carbs as some people, because I believe this is going to be the way I am going to eat for the rest of my life.

Ha, I just posted on my blog about this (http://www.bananatum...or-not-to-diet/). I am not following too specific a diet either, I do follow general guide lines but that's about it.