Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Birth Control after VSG

I was wondering how long before surgery people had to stop taking birth control pills, and how soon they were able to resume them after surgery? I am currently on Yaz if that makes adifference. I just don't want to get pregnant right now, and I'm EXTREMELY fertile if not on them. Just a little worried that 9 mos. post op I'll have a little blessing ;)

I was wondering how long before surgery people had to stop taking birth control pills, and how soon they were able to resume them after surgery? I am currently on Yaz if that makes adifference. I just don't want to get pregnant right now, and I'm EXTREMELY fertile if not on them. Just a little worried that 9 mos. post op I'll have a little blessing ;)

I didn't go off mine at all. I took one with a sip of Water the morning of surgery and the only one I missed was the day after surgery when I didn't have anything to eat or drink. If you start Clear liquids you would be able to take the yaz pill since it's small. Some doctors want you to be off because of risk of blood clots but if you have no history you should be ok. Hope this helps. I would ask your surgeon or gyn and see what they say.

Use a back up method. I know far too many women that have gotten pregnant after WLS and it's not just with the malabsorptive surgery such as RNY that messes with hormonal bc. My surgeon believes that since we have crazy hormone fluxes during the rapid weight loss phase that anything is possible.

I have the IUD the copper one, no horomones. IT is a perfect birthcontrol method and so fuss free! LOVE IT!

I didn't go off mine at all. I took one with a sip of Water the morning of surgery and the only one I missed was the day after surgery when I didn't have anything to eat or drink. If you start Clear Liquids you would be able to take the yaz pill since it's small. Some doctors want you to be off because of risk of blood clots but if you have no history you should be ok. Hope this helps. I would ask your surgeon or gyn and see what they say.

I wouldn't say you would be okay since you dont' have a risk. The risk factors for blood clots are obesity, birthcontrol, smoking, and major surgery. It doesn't matter if you have had one or not. I had one in '03 and they are nothing to mess with. It was because of all the factors I listed even though there was no history of blood clot anywhere in my family and if I wouldnt' have been fat and on bc it probably wouldnt' have happened.

I was hoping to have the Paraguard IUD reinserted before surgery, but I had severe complications with my first one, so hmm... guess I'll just have to grill my surgeon a little more.

My hormones have been completely out of whack for the last five months since surgery - I'm on the pill and have been "spotting" since mid December. That being said, my OB recommended using back up methods for sure! She said that you just don't know the effectiveness level with a hormonal method because our bodies are reacting to some pretty intense hormonal changes. I know that using a back up method for me right now is much better than an oops! :)

Just a word of caution: You can't take ActiGall/Ursodiol and bc pills/hormones at the same time. They cancel each other out.

I stopped my bc pills 1 month prior to surgery and was able to start them 3 weeks after my surgery per my surgeon. I was stupid and waited only 2 weeks after surgery. Well Guess what. I got a blood clot in my mesentaric vein. Dr said it was due to starting the bc pills early, It's horrible. I have to take Coumidn (blood thinner) for at least 6 months! and also get blood tests every week to check my levels.And, periodic CT scans to see if it has moved or dissolved.

I've never had any history of clots, noone in my family has had clots, I don't smoke. Just the combination of major surgery and starting my bc pills early caused it.

And now I cannot have any type of hormonal birth control. EVER again.

Please listen to what ever your DR says, and follow his orders. I wish I would have. :(

Just a word of caution: You can't take ActiGall/Ursodiol and bc pills/hormones at the same time. They cancel each other out

Thats a useful piece of info!

Also, I am menopausal, have been for over a year... my doc says use bC anyway! The hormones can throw you back into fertility!

husbands sad face- :^(

Hey FeedYourEye,

Birth control pills don't work for a lot of women post-op because the copious amount of hormone being released into your bloodstream from fast fat loss is overwhelming, so use back up. Or forget the pill and just use the back up. I'm on Ursodiol (generic for ActiGall) for 3.5 more months, and I'm not going back on the pill until I'm close to my goal weight because I don't want to introduce even more hormones (or whoremoans, as I like to call them) into my system. I'm 3.5 months post-op, down almost 80 pounds, and I'm trying to put as little in my system as possible aside from Vitamins (and I want to keep my gall bladder). I can just feel my body reacting to every little thing now, you know? I want to see where everything settles before I start adding/reintroducing more into the mix.

-Kr.

Thats a useful piece of info!

Also, I am menopausal, have been for over a year... my doc says use bC anyway! The hormones can throw you back into fertility!

husbands sad face- :^(