Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Personal question for Women only..XXXXX

I Don't know who to talk to and do not want to scare my family just yet..

When I was in the shower today and who knows why I did not notice this before but around the areola place on breast are bumps. Some little some no bigger than a cherry pit. At first I thought it was just a me thing but got to looking at them in the mirror. I took pictures just to compare them a week from now ~ see if they change in any way. I do not have discharge from my nipples and they look fine but it's the bumps that have me worried. Should I worry? I don't know. I also started my period today and do not know if that could have anything to do with it or not. Now I am use to having a few bumps after my second son but nothing like this. Let me know what you think???? I thought maybe it could be my bra rubbing on them all day and irritating them but you know your mind always jumps to the Big C word.

Lookin at my own boob, I have little lumpy things too around that same area. If your concerned about them see a doctor of course. But it sounds like what I have...They are real close to the surface of the skin? Not painful...just sorta there...Sounds like its just the way you are. I think breast cancer would be more inward that on the surface. I actually saw a dermotologist about a mole I have on my one boob, and he said that some of the other lumps that I was lookin at could possibly turn to moles. He said they aren't cancerous, but if they bother me, I could have them taken off. I dont see them turning to moles just yet...but Im keeping an eye on them. And he said that moles on the breast doesn't connect to breast cancer~~ Absolutely though, have your own doctor check em if they are worrying you~

Hope this helps!

Thank you Jenna,

I know at one point after my son was born and I was breast feeding I have trouble with the milk ducts closing so that area never looked quite the same. I am going to compare the photo next Sat and see if they are the same..

Mary, I tried to attach a pic of a nipple with Paget's disease. Didn't work. thought it might be worth a Google Search to see if you can compare. I have no idea if it fits you, but it's worth a look, huh? Call your doc!

What are the little pimple-like bumps that have become more noticeable around my areola? Do they have a special purpose?

Soon after a woman finds out that she is pregnant, she will begin to notice some dramatic changes in her breasts. The glands of Montgomery, or Montgomery's tubercles, are the tiny "bumps" that are scattered around the areola (the darker area which rings the nipple). During pregnancy these glands enlarge and they remain enlarged while breastfeeding. They can vary greatly in number, averaging between 4 and 28 per areola. Montgomery originally described these glands as "a constellation of miniature nipples scattered over a milky way."

It is believed that these sebaceous, or oil-producing glands, secrete a lubricating and protective substance, altering the skin's pH and discouraging bacterial growth (Williams 1992). These glands also secrete a small amount of milk (Lawrence 1995). This lubrications helps to keep the skin healthy and the areola elastic.

To preserve the antibacterial function of Montgomery's tubercles, rinsing with clear Water while bathing is sufficient. Use of soap on the breasts is unnecessary and may remove these protective oils. My best wishes in mothering! end_slug.gif

//");document.write("");0//]]>// 6) { cs_cloneArray(zSr, zSrCTA);}//]]>//");//]]>// 6) { while (i < zSr.length) { iv_masterCTAData[iv_CTACounter++] = new Array(zSr[i++], zSr[i++], zSr[i++], zSr[i++], zSr[i++], zSr[i++]); }}//]]>iv_drawCTA2();

I looked up that Paget's Disease. That is some nasty stuff! I definately have the Montgomery's Tubercles and not the Paget's Disease! I have a yearly Mammogram because I have some calcification in my right Boob. They check it to see if it grows... not in the last 3 years. It is in the exact spot I use to have very sharp piercing pains. They stopped when I got off the caffene.

yuck ~ that is some pretty Nasty stuff. Nope does not resemble it at all.

I guess if it changes or I really get all worked up I will call and make an appt.

Thanks Girls.. Love Ya

What you describe seems normal but............ and I can't stress this enough............. SEE YOUR MD FOR ANY ACUTE CHANGES!!! It nevers hurts to be too cautious so have it checked out. What is "normal" for one person could be not at all normal in another.