Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Appetite Suppressant Pre-Op?

I am curious if anybody has/had resorted to a prescription of Phentermine pre-op to help with weight loss?

My surgeon won't perscribe it (probably because he sells the liquids in his office); I can get a perscription from my family doctor though. I want to lose as much fat around my liver as possible pre-surgery and think an appetite suppressant will help.

Thoughts?

I'd stay away from it. I used it and my BP just went too high, and I'm already on BP meds. I lost very little---does rev up the energy though!

I am curious if anybody has/had resorted to a prescription of Phentermine pre-op to help with weight loss?

My surgeon won't perscribe it (probably because he sells the liquids in his office); I can get a perscription from my family doctor though. I want to lose as much fat around my liver as possible pre-surgery and think an appetite suppressant will help.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

Quite honestly hon, do you really need a ephedemine to help you out? Phentermine is really addictive and very expensive. . why not just get dextatrim or better yet try it on your own. . . when i was getting sleeved i asked my doctor why he doesn't give a 2 week pre op diet he told me that he didn't see the point because it takes many months to shrink the liver. . .he believes that physicians give the pre-op diet because they want to see if you can actually be on a diet and be disciplined enough to stay on it. . . but this is just my suggestion, you do what you feel you have to. . .good luck!

Studies show that a low carb, high Protein diet shrink liver fat effectively, avoid white carbs, and your liver will be fine. Even with my BMI at 49, my liver looked fabulous after doing just 1 week of low carb/high Protein diet for both my band and revision. It takes months to shrink a true fatty liver, and they're only worried about the slippery/slimy fat on the outside of the liver.

The side effects of the Adipex are stressful on the body, your liver is going to have to break that crap down so really just stick to your pre-op diet and know that your liver will be just fine without adding more chemicals/drugs for it to break down.

If you start the protein first rule, eat slowly, and avoid white carbs this will help post-op as you'd be instilling good habits before surgery that will carry over.

I thought about that also but I am scared it will affect my pre-op BP or maybe my EKG.I am getting the surgery in Mexico but having a good physical here before I go to be certain I will be ok. Following a diet is so hard for me but if I cant change now how will I chaqnge for my sleeve? :unsure:

Kelly,

I did and it helped me a lot. Even after going on an extreme low carb diet, my weight was bouncing up and down and even with less than 10 grams of carbs per day, my hunger was completely out of control. Every weight-in I had with the Association of South Bay Surgeons in Torrance was up and down and they weren't even going to consider scheduling me a date until I could lose 30 more lbs. consistantly. So I gave the nurse practitioner my sob story about my extreme (and I mean extreme) hunger and she perscribed phentermine. Wow, I lost 20 lbs. in 2 and a half weeks! But it made me feel weird and I didn't sleep well at all. I just stopped taking it last weekend because I wanted to get some sleep. I have a bunch left over and I'm going to lose this last 10 on my own. I didn't have any problems with it being "habit forming" or anything like that. I had never taken any pills like that before in my life. I don't think it's a long term solution to anything but it helped me get a jump start for sure.

Your surgery date is only a little more than a month away. Hang in there, you don't need the Phentermine - that is the old "I have failed at dieting so many times" you talking. You WILL succeed with this. Do your best at the preop diet - it's hard - that is for sure. If you find that you cheat a little, make sure you do it with something that isn't too bad and try not to do it too many times. I struggled with the preop as well, but it all works out in the end. Give yourself one or two more binges of eating out your favorites before you start the diet and then keep your eyes focused on the prize - you will do great!!!

I agree with most of the others -- it's not worth it. I used Phentermine more than once in the past, and while I did lose some weight, the side effects are a pain in the butt. My blood pressure was always fine, but my heart rate runs a little high naturally, so I was always having palpitations if I didn't stay hydrated. You've got a month until surgery, and you don't want to do something that might actually risk your health in that time. I did a 2 week very low-carb, high Protein diet pre-op, and lost 12 lbs. in that 2 weeks. I would say you could do just as well low-carbing it as you can with Phentermine, and in a healthier way.