Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Catholic Sleevers Please!

I have not been sleeved yet, but in my meeting with the surgeon, the doctor told me several times that I must not get pregnant during the rapid weight loss phase. My husband was with me at this meeting. We had a discussion afterward and decided we would abstain during fertile times. How are other Catholic sleevers dealing with this issue?

I know this won't help, just had to answer cause I'm a Catholic. I've got my tubes tied after 3 children and 3 C-sections, so it isn't a problem for me. Good luck in what you choose to do!

I have had 3 sons and 3 C-sections too! I had a tubal pregnancy too about 15 years ago. I am a little old to think about another baby, but stranger things have happened.

on sunday at church our priest discussed the following thing with us. . . on 9/11 when the passengers on the plane heading to crash into the pentagon realized they were going to die that day, one passenger called his wife and said "we are going to die today, but some of us are going to do something about it" . . . meaning we all have the time now to "do something about it" but it's what you do with it is what you get out of it. . . good luck

Well crud I just googled can catholics use condoms and I had no idea they could not. I knew pills were out of the question but had no idea that barrier methods were not allowed. I'm Pentecostal and I had no clue.

Also, I don't know about anyone else but when the pounds start coming off the libido starts going up. It may be easier said then done. Getting creative without having intercourse could be a lot of fun.

You could always do the charting method. Tells you what days you are fertile on and what days it is unlikely to concieve on.

Thanks for all the replies! I am getting closer to getting all of the insurance requirements completed. It looks like I can submit my paperwork after my last support group on Feb 15th. I am just trying to get as much of the post surgery things figured out. Thanks for the help!

I know this won't help, just had to answer cause I'm a Catholic. I've got my tubes tied after 3 children and 3 C-sections, so it isn't a problem for me. Good luck in what you choose to do!

I am confused, you can tie your tubes but not use a condom?

I will give you my honest opinion, as if you and I were sitting for coffee, from a Catholic I can say to you that the religion is not perfect, and neither is any other religion, times are changing and the church has recognized that a lot of the doctrines are backfiring the birth control thing...give me a break, where in the Bible does it say that we are to overpopulate the earth with kids even when we cannot afford them or handle their day to day care? Since I was 18 I have been on birth control even though I was married, why, because #1 I could not afford a baby #2 I was too immature to be a mother, #3 I had just gotten married. 12 years later 3 c-sections, a tubal ligation I don't feel at all like a sinner the children I chose to have are now well taken care of so if a priest wants to talk to me about that I'll be happy to. Didn't the church just say it is okay to use prevention if you are a hooker or gay? Seriously...what's wrong with our world today. Why does it always boil down to the woman to figure everything out as if we don't have enough to deal with. Good luck in whatever you come up with.

I appreciate all the honesty!! Thanks for the replies. The bottom line is that in my doctor's opinion that it is medically necessary that I not get pregnant. This to me would be justification to use artificial means of prevention.

Thank you for clarifying all that! I guess I never really knew the specifics of the birth control guidelines of Catholics. I am glad that your doctor advised you of the need to not get pregnant so you can enjoy your hubby post op with a clear religious conscience.

BZ two thumbs up :) wink wink

I am confused, you can tie your tubes but not use a condom?

Never followed catholic "rules" regarding birth control and many other issues to be quite honest :P

I will give you my honest opinion, as if you and I were sitting for coffee, from a Catholic I can say to you that the religion is not perfect, and neither is any other religion, times are changing and the church has recognized that a lot of the doctrines are backfiring the birth control thing...give me a break, where in the Bible does it say that we are to overpopulate the earth with kids even when we cannot afford them or handle their day to day care? Since I was 18 I have been on birth control even though I was married, why, because #1 I could not afford a baby #2 I was too immature to be a mother, #3 I had just gotten married. 12 years later 3 c-sections, a tubal ligation I don't feel at all like a sinner the children I chose to have are now well taken care of so if a priest wants to talk to me about that I'll be happy to. Didn't the church just say it is okay to use prevention if you are a hooker or gay? Seriously...what's wrong with our world today. Why does it always boil down to the woman to figure everything out as if we don't have enough to deal with. Good luck in whatever you come up with.

If I didn't know better I would've thought that I'd written that 100%!

It's an older thread . . . but I am a practicing Catholic . . . we plan to use NFP. My husband and I like to leave the creation of life decisions up to God . . . I trust Him completely with every single aspect of my life . . . why would I think that He doesn't know what he is doing with regards to this issue?

No one makes me be Catholic . . . but I am . . . and I don't pick and choose what aspects of my life to trust to God. I trust Him completely. To do otherwise would make me a giant hypocrite.

Real quick input -- I too am Catholic, but my husband and I use condoms (TMI, I know). After my ectopic pregnancy in which I hemorrhaged and nearly died, we think condoms are safer. Plus, the church now states you can use condoms to prevent AIDS -- I figure if I KNOW that my life will be threatened by a pregnancy, we can use condoms too.